Tires

Old 08-30-2013, 06:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Tires

It goes without saying that choosing the right tire is one of the most important steps in set up. There are so many brands of different tires to choose from with all sorts of different names it can be confusing, especially since the name of the tire doesn't corralate to its intended use. The only tire I can think of that remotely has a name that hints at what it could be used for are the "Holeshot", but it's doubtful that that tire can be used unilaterally everywhere to get the holeshot. It can be more confusing because marketing shows a certain pro driver using one brand / type of tire and win an event and they let you infer that you will do the same if you used the same tire. Then a different pro driver uses a different brand / type of tire and the cycle repeats. Also known as, the latest and greatest.

I would like to offer up the results of some testing I did over 6 months of club racing 1/8th nitro buggy. On a track that is hard packed dirt (not clay), limited dust (which gets pushed off line), and watered (nice b/c it keeps traction consistant and drastically increases the tires' lifespan), I found that Holeshots, Gridirons, or Tazers are the tire to use. Which is faster? They are all the same! Fast lap, top 5, top 10.... and this is over a lot of qualifiers and races and track configurations. Jconcepts Hybrids are right there too, but the tires feel a little squirmy, but that might be because of the foam. I'm not sure, but that makes me not like them as much. Snipers look almost exactly like Tazers which look almost exactly like Gridirons so I'm expecting similar results when I try them, even if they are from long ago.

Enduros and Blockades don't seem have as much grip on THIS track and their reflexes are slower. If I get off in the loose stuff, the tires don't want to dig in and regain the traction to drive out as easily.

Square Fuzzies give the best grip of any tire I've tried, but the life span of the tire is too short, even on the watered track. That is my only complaint with that tire and as a result I stopped using them long ago and can't really directly compare it with any of the above. My memory tells me it was good for several tenths per lap though.

I'm not saying I'm the know it all tire guru, but this is what I found out from testing. If anyone would like to offer up their experiences with certain tires on certain tracks and why one tire would be better or worse or equal to another please do! I'd love to gain more tire knowledge across the different brands from the experienced that contribute to RCTech and I'm sure others would too!
Old 08-30-2013, 07:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

You say your not using the tyre that gives you the most traction because it wears too fast??

Im a strong believer in: if its not wearing, your not gripping.

I have had tyres last weekend after weekend why? because i had no grip,.
i have had tyres last a final why? because i had the best grip i wanted.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:16 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by LosiPRRACER View Post
You say your not using the tyre that gives you the most traction because it wears too fast??

Im a strong believer in: if its not wearing, your not gripping.

I have had tyres last weekend after weekend why? because i had no grip,.
i have had tyres last a final why? because i had the best grip i wanted.

Well that really depends on how the track surface is really with tire ware and how much you race. Even if you have grip from certain tires.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

No grip means you are spinning, spinning results in tire wear. I like sweep dirt effects at my local track. The track sounds very similar to yours. My favorite tire for mains is the diamond back in x3 because they last. I have 5 or 6 20 minutes mains on the same set. I just run them backwards from time to time during practice to reshape the lugs.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:23 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Keep in mind driving style plays a huge roll in tire choice also. Some drivers push much harder in the turns than others and some drivers like to pin the throttle everywhere. Clutch and engine/pipe have allot to do with the correct tire choice for your car as well. Finding the right tire for "you" is allot different than just slapping on the tire that that the last guy won with.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:17 PM
Tech Master

Square Fuzzies wear too fast. A set of those tires + rims will cost $55. They will last one 5 minute qualifier. We run two qualifiers and a 15 - 25 min main depending on turn out. They will not last the main and therefore cannot be used in the main. Even if they did last the main, I'm not willing to drop $165 in tires for a club race. That's ridiculous.

Tazers, Gridirons etc having a longer life- a main + one or two quals on a different day. After that they still have some life in them for practice. Fuzzies you can't even practice with after.

If I had a tire sponser, then yes, I'd be using the Fuzzies all the time.

@beidle99- a racer at my track really likes those diamond backs and does well with them. I have not tried them yet, but I think I'm going to give them a shot.

@Jaz240- agreed. + how long your tires lasts.

Does anyone have experience with Proline Calibers? I think I remember reading the packaging at my hobby shop a few weeks ago and there was some chart on the back that listed the Caliber as the 1st choice recommendation for wet hardpacked which is what our track is, but the reason I'm confused is because the dual stage spikes look like they'd be more for a loamy track.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:52 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by My ST-RR EVO View Post
Square Fuzzies wear too fast. A set of those tires + rims will cost $55. They will last one 5 minute qualifier. We run two qualifiers and a 15 - 25 min main depending on turn out. They will not last the main and therefore cannot be used in the main. Even if they did last the main, I'm not willing to drop $165 in tires for a club race. That's ridiculous.

Tazers, Gridirons etc having a longer life- a main + one or two quals on a different day. After that they still have some life in them for practice. Fuzzies you can't even practice with after.

@beidle99- a racer at my track really likes those diamond backs and does well with them. I have not tried them yet, but I think I'm going to give them a shot.

Does anyone have experience with Proline Calibers? I think I remember reading the packaging at my hobby shop a few weeks ago and there was some chart on the back that listed the Caliber as the 1st choice recommendation for wet hardpacked which is what our track is, but the reason I'm confused is because the dual stage spikes look like they'd be more for a loamy track.

I tried some used M3 Caliber Truggy tires but on a E-Truggy they were not good on bone dry dirt just sliding with them. On Semi dry with loose dirt and hardpacked they work pretty good and last a good amount of time. The thing you need to watch for is when you mount them they are directional !

Na some dual Spikes work on hardpacked dirt that is loose and semi moist/dry but not to dry . For instance the Green Soft Losi Digit tires work pretty good on hardpacked dirt they are dual spike they just dont grip to well on really dry dirt.

Last edited by tc5 man; 09-01-2013 at 07:03 PM.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:56 PM
Tech Elite

Youll only need 3 types of tires. A pin tire like Double Dees or Holeshots, A block like I Beams or Crimefighters, and a step pin like City Blocks or Calibers.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:02 PM
Tech Regular

I have found the two tires I use most for my truggy is gridirons. And I beams. I have ran impacts. And hole shots city blocks. But I get better performance from the two I just mentioned. Those two seem to cover most tracks I run on. Every time I show up to a track my first practice run is on I beams super soft. Bc they seem to be the most Versatel. Small pin tires seem to punish me when I get of the grove. I beams are more forgiving. My 2 cents! Lol!
Old 09-19-2013, 08:19 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by My ST-RR EVO View Post

Calibers are a good all round bet at our track though all conditions, but when it is wet and hard-packed (say after some recent rain) then they are not the best choice. They perform best on a dusty, loamy track as suspected. If it gets really dry with deep loam, flip them around to use the pins as a paddle. Most caliber users tend to flip them side to side depending on the amount of loose top. Your track seems abrasive, these wear well with use, however our track when wet is slippery and very easy on tires.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:53 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I have been running some proline Revolvers 2.0 in super soft for about 2months. Granted, I only run them in the mains and use some other tires for qualifying.

If you think about it, unless you're starting first or second and have a good shot to get away from the beginning, qualifying doesn't matter so much in club racing. I could start 8-9th on the Amain every weekend and still finish in the podium. Everyone crashes on the first lap trying to pass each other. Just stay patient and let them make mistakes then make the pass.

These tires have 7 mains on them, 10 minutes each, so 70-85 minutes of run time (we get a few minutes to warm up) and show little to NO wear. I have been really impressed. This is my first set of prolines and I think they are great.

my local track IS friendly on tires BTW, but knowing I don't have to buy tires much at all is really nice!
Old 12-07-2013, 06:56 PM
Tech Master

I have been testing Calibers against Gridirons at my track during club races. The track is hard and run wet. Some loose stuff is off line. IMO the small pin gridiron style is the correct tire to use which is why I compared the caliber to it to see how it stacks up. First thing I noticed is that the tire tread is straight across (side to side). A lot of tires seem to have a rounded contour to them. On the track the Calibers seem to be more aggressive in its reflexes and more initial bite causing the car to roll a little more when starting turns. It caught me by surprise and took a little getting used to. They feel smoother after they have been run for a while. As far as lap times they are the same... to the tenth on average, but the gridirons just feel a little bit more comfortable to drive. . Calibers last way longer than gridirons.

Snipers are a tad slower than gridirons or calibers. Somehow I feel like I'm going as fast with the Snipers, but the time sheet says otherwise.

For long running on a dry track I was liking Blockades. Not as fast, but last a long time and are consistent as they wear.