What's the most reliable 1/8 buggy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's the most reliable 1/8 buggy?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 01:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Well I have been running an eight 2.0 EU for over a year now and the only thing that I have broken is hingepin from a wreck so big I thought I had destroyed the entire front end(The car actually finished the race, but the hinge pin has a serious bend in it now). I have replaced some parts through normal wear and tear (bearings and such). The only car that I ever owned that was not at this exact same level was an O'Donnell. The plastics got really brittle when it was cold. I have owned Mugen, Kyosho, Losi, O'Donnell, and Ofna. I broke at the exact same rate on every car but the O'Donnell and they no longer make cars. So in my 10 years of experience, they are all almost the exact same reliability wise.

Now if you actually care about how it handles then there are some dramatic differences. I understand that you own a car for a long time, and want it to be reliable, but lets be honest... does it matter how reliable it is if it isn't as fast? Are you willing to sacrifice laptimes for reliability? I could understand if one of the major manufacturers made a really unreliable car, but no one does anymore.

By the way, since you seem to be a fan of Japanese cars, I watched 3 Kyosho drivers drop out of a finals from snapping universals about a month ago. The most expensive car in the class, and it broke. Should it have broken from the wrecks they had? Yes! Does that make the Kyosho unreliable? Up to you to decide.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:42 PM
Tech Champion

Kyosho is too expensive. I never owned a mp9 so I can't talk about it but my mp5 was very strong back in the day

Many drivers focus on the buggy for the performances. IMO the radio, tires or even the psychology of the driver play a bigger role as soon as the buggy has a good setup and can keep it throughout the day (this is where the slop comes to my mind). I just need a strong buggy that shows little wear. Other stuff can be compensated by my ability to setup the car or drive correctly.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

JQ updated 477 kit, and yellow. Good luck breaking either of those!
Old 12-21-2012, 01:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Serpent is very bullet proof....very high grade plastics and materials......
Old 12-21-2012, 02:03 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by thorns
JQ updated 477 kit, and yellow. Good luck breaking either of those!
Just learned JQ is releasing an 1/8 e-buggy . He was speaking about it since a long time but I had a big doubt he would release it for real. I'm currently running THE Car that I converted in its very first version but plastics aren't very good so I hope this one will be better because I love driving it

Serpent is on my short list too, plastics are actually almost too hard on them
Old 12-21-2012, 02:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

X2 on the xray. I have two complete backup 808e rollers which have not seen dirt in a year. The race car just does not break. CF towers wear off eventually but the diff fluids as clear as the day I built it after a month or two(PTRC fluids not crap AE which turns murky in a week) no shiny metal bits (durango) while draining.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Pulse_
Kyosho is too expensive. I never owned a mp9 so I can't talk about it but my mp5 was very strong back in the day

Many drivers focus on the buggy for the performances. IMO the radio, tires or even the psychology of the driver play a bigger role as soon as the buggy has a good setup and can keep it throughout the day (this is where the slop comes to my mind). I just need a strong buggy that shows little wear. Other stuff can be compensated by my ability to setup the car or drive correctly.
This is so far from true, the kyosho comes with all the upgrades you will later buy for any other car. it comes out of the box with a pre-dailed setup for every track type, in fact by the time you buy all these parts for your other cars, your looking at the same price or even higher then the kyosho.

look at what the kyosho comes with, look at its 1/8 history its no doubt one of the very few cars that is "worth its price" anyone who says kyosho is too expensive is just plain regretful they didn't buy it before they joined their fan boy fanclub brand

reliability comes from who ever owns it. the car will treat you the way you treat it.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pulse_
Kyosho is too expensive.
Everyone who has never owned one always says that. No one who has owned one ever says that.

racecar spelled backwards is racecar. Mind=blown.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:08 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I've only owned 2 1/8 scale buggies. a thunder tiger eb-4 and a losi 810. the thunder tiger blows the losi away in reliability. all the way down to the clutch in it.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

no, it is too expensive, and i own one. The kit setup is ok, if you buy new pistons. Chassis wears at an astonishing rate.

Yes it is one of the better buggies, no its not worth 200-300 more than the other ones.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AZRC4Me
No one who has owned one ever says that.
Not true at all.... heard it a couple weeks ago.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

My mistake, I forgot you can't please everyone all the time.

I'd invite those guys to head over to the MP9 forum for some help if they haven't moved on to other cars already.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I bought the Serpent for its durability. Local support for the Losi is awesome but the car wears expensive parts in a hurry (outdrives and driveshaft pins).
Old 12-21-2012, 03:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by RePeTe
no, it is too expensive, and i own one. The kit setup is ok, if you buy new pistons. Chassis wears at an astonishing rate.

Yes it is one of the better buggies, no its not worth 200-300 more than the other ones.
someones jelous mummy didnt get no tki3 for christmas...
Old 12-21-2012, 04:02 PM
Tech Champion

If we could stay away from fan clubs, thanks . A MP9 is 900$, I could have four of my used JQ for this price.. F O U R

So ok it won't need upgrades...maybe. But no way this price is realistic regarding the concurrence.

Is the MP9 actually stronger than a MBX6R that costs....two times less?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.