Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Remember when?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 09:50 PM
Tech Addict

Default Remember when?

I may be young (16) but I know i still remember some stuff that was before a few racers times.

Remember when:
You had to use Clothespins to keep from frequency conflicts
Truggys were a new thing
MTR tires were state of the art
AE didnt have a nitro 1/8th scale
Big shocks were a new concept
Fuel guns were rarely used
Old 11-19-2011, 11:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Remeber all of that and then some,

Anyone remember when there were no transponders, PT or House. Every lap was hand counted.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:19 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Ancient

Remember when speed controllers were nothing but a coil that the servo dragged across to make contact? Anyone out there own a Wild Willy?

Das old
Old 11-19-2011, 11:27 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Remember when points didn't matter !
Good times
Old 11-19-2011, 11:37 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hell, I can remember my first RC10 that had a mechanical speed control. You had to use a second servo in order to move the arm of the speed control!!!!!!

How about the old school motors!!!!!!! You could buy two identical motors, one would be crap, the other would fly!!!!!!! Not to mention the wear of the brushes!!!!!! Tires sucked!!! There were no foam insert yet, so you had to cut a small hole in your tire so you would not flat spot your tire. You always had to carry two or three sets of crystal just to make sure you could drive.

The first RC10 "kit" that I purchased cost me $180 in 1987!!!!!! Then you had to get a radio, batteries and a charger. New products were constantly coming out, it was a fun time to be involved in RC. In fact Losi was just getting ready to come out with their own buggy. The unique thing about their design was a "trailing" arm rear suspension.

Cliff Lett (of Associated) made the best body at the time for the RC10. Jay Haulsey was coming out with stuff too, it was just crazy!!!!!!

The track I raced at was called "Hot Tracks" located in Huntington Beach. It closed many years ago, but the building sits around the corner from OCRC.

RC has come a long way and all for the better!!!!!! Comparing the kits of today from companies like Axial, Traxxas, Associated, Losi and many others, the RC community is the winner. RTR's allow a father and son to get out and have fun without all the hassle of having to build stuff.

Looking back, i am proud to say that I have been part of this amazing hobby for so many years.
Old 11-20-2011, 03:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I got out of the hobby in the late 90's, and when I got back into it a few years ago, I was amazed at the advances the technology had made. Mechanical speed controls, comm lathes, matched NiCd cells...ahh, those were the days. I remember seeing Panasonic cells with a 2000mAh capacity for the first time and thought "wow, those batteries will have some serious run time." Now every Lipo I own is at least 5000 mAh+, and the 4S packs produce twice the voltage. I'm looking forward to seeing what kinds of advances are made in this hobby in the next 10 years...
Old 11-20-2011, 06:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by novice racer
Remember when:
You had to use Clothespins to keep from frequency conflicts
and you had to carry a small fortune worth of crystals with you to make sure you could run a heat/main. Nothing like getting to the track and just flipping on your radio with nothing to worry about!!
Old 11-20-2011, 06:54 AM
Tech Addict

Im pretty sure Im the only guy I know who runs a High performance brushed motor.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Remember when:

You read a guy had a problem with a engine, another guy would come in and tell you how to fix it without hearing "you have a air leak OR your fuel is boiling because you don't have a insulated carb" That last one kills me..

There was no internet, hobby shops were few and you HAD to fix it yourself! Imagine that..

Guys at the track had no problem sharing their set up?

I'll go on later..
Old 11-20-2011, 08:25 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Cool thread

Remember that ad?

http://www.myrcbox.com/my-words/my-w...-of-champions/
Old 11-20-2011, 11:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

yeah pretty sad when I rember when esc's were the hot new item and matched packs were the must have lol even bashing.......and when losi didnt even have a 1/8 nitro buggy......nowa days with all this brushless stuff and lipos
Old 11-20-2011, 02:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sylvain
I totally remember the proline monster conversion! Lol. I had one for my gold pan rc10. I've still got that buggy stored away somewhere. Remember when stock "27 turn" truck was the biggest class at every track?
Old 11-20-2011, 02:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

This was before my time like way before my time but look at the pictures in this.....lol Man rc has come along way. This is at one of our tracks that we race at up here.
http://user2022155.sites.myregisteredsite.com/id31.html
Old 11-20-2011, 02:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

LOL at those pics, and OMG, ALF!!!!!
Old 11-20-2011, 02:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

I start to feel really old sometimes as I long for the 'old days' of Rc racing. In the mid 80's stock class was huge. 27t motors and 7.2v batteries, we raced 4 minutes and hoped we wouldn't 'dump' at the end. There were no warm up laps and even the heats were heads up. At Antioch Rc raceway we had a 13" tv connected to out Texas inturments computer and the software was provided via a cassette tape. Someone actually had to punch each car number every time the car crossed the line.

I purchased an a&l trailing arm upgrade for my rc10 just so it would look more like my favorite car ever, a Cox Scorpion. I still have an original jrx2 that was built and never raced. We got it during an invitational event with Gil jr, Eustace Moore(spelling? But Mr MIP) and several other losi heroes of the day. It sits next to a Super Champ and a Cox Gallop, what ever happened to 4wd with 4 wheel steering? LOL.

It's interesting to note that everyone starts now at speeds that were the modified power levels then. No wonder it's so difficult and requires so much determination to stick it out through the first few years. As a father I sure wish there was a more moderate paced class to start, at least in our area.

Thanks for the great thread and for those who have shared a few gems from 'back in the day'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.