Community
Wiki Posts
Search

generators for at the track

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 06:52 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

no my local track doesnt have power, and i guess were gonna run at night and the owners are gonna by a big diesle generator , but if theres 15-20 guys i wanna have my own and for when i go aaway. found this http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-Ge...atalogId=10053
what do ya guys think?
Old 03-25-2011, 07:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

A few guys at the track have the 3500 champion generator. Runs their trailers with 13,500 btu a/c and evervything. Not bad for 299 and they are not loud at all. It's made with some honda parts.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tools/g...erator-4434023
Old 03-25-2011, 07:27 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by l3asher
A few guys at the track have the 3500 champion generator. Runs their trailers with 13,500 btu a/c and evervything. Not bad for 299 and they are not loud at all. It's made with some honda parts.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tools/g...erator-4434023
That`s the one I was going to suggest.. I bought it for my pop up camper.It runs the A/C,fridge and will even let 2 HP air compressor refill at the same time.
Believe it or not, it isnt very loud at all! Sitting 5 feet from the camper you can barely hear it from the inside.For $300 you cant beat it!Have had mine for 2 years without any problems..

Hope this helps
Old 03-25-2011, 12:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

thanks for the info guys
Old 03-25-2011, 08:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Frank L
Are the Chineese models quiet like the Honda?

And if you need more stuff I got you covered
I did a quick comparison between my Kipor, and my friend's Honda. I didn't have a decibel meter handy, but the "calibrated ear" test put them very close, with possibly a slight advantage towards the Kipor at normal idle. With the smart throttle off, the Honda was a little quieter. The tone was pretty much equal.

The only drawback with the Chinese clones will be dealer support. I'm a product test engineer by trade, so I don't mind working on my own stuff, but the closest place that will service my Kipor is about a 2 hour drive. I could get a Honda serviced 5 minutes from my house.

Now, with that being said, I haven't had to take that Kipor in for any reason, so it's a moot point.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Stubbs
I did a quick comparison between my Kipor, and my friend's Honda. I didn't have a decibel meter handy, but the "calibrated ear" test put them very close, with possibly a slight advantage towards the Kipor at normal idle. With the smart throttle off, the Honda was a little quieter. The tone was pretty much equal.

The only drawback with the Chinese clones will be dealer support. I'm a product test engineer by trade, so I don't mind working on my own stuff, but the closest place that will service my Kipor is about a 2 hour drive. I could get a Honda serviced 5 minutes from my house.

Now, with that being said, I haven't had to take that Kipor in for any reason, so it's a moot point.
I saw vids of the Kipor. It is as quiet as the Honda. Another one that is just as quiet is the Champion 2000 watt inverter gene. When idle, you can barely tell its on. My gene is good, but it is not as quiet as the Honda or Kipor. It is quiet enough to be at camp sites and not be that "dude" at the track.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I'm a generator noob, so what is the difference between an inverter generator and a regular gasoline generator?
Old 03-26-2011, 04:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Originally Posted by Sein
I'm a generator noob, so what is the difference between an inverter generator and a regular gasoline generator?
inverter ones run the power through a power inverter first and get a much cleaner Modified Sine Wave power output. Some electronics wont run off of regular generators.

Also, those that think the bigger generators (like that 3500W Champion) are not loud you ARE "those guys" at the track...lol. 109dB is loud. The smaller Honda/Kipor/Yamaha etc are only like 53-59dB.

Last edited by johnnyboy; 03-26-2011 at 06:17 AM.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:59 AM
Tech Adept

$300 compared to $500 and up is quite a difference in price.If its noise that your worried about, then maybe you shouldn`t be hanging at a outdoor offroad "Nitro" track.Since that isn`t exactly the best place to sit and listen to see if you can hear your $1000+ generator running or not....That is just too funny!

It was already said, "But What You Can Afford". If you can`t afford one of the $1000 Hondas then the "Champion 3500 Watt" is the way to go!
Old 03-26-2011, 06:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Originally Posted by Sholler
$300 compared to $500 and up is quite a difference in price.If its noise that your worried about, then maybe you shouldn`t be hanging at a outdoor offroad "Nitro" track.Since that isn`t exactly the best place to sit and listen to see if you can hear your $1000+ generator running or not....That is just too funny!

It was already said, "But What You Can Afford". If you can`t afford one of the $1000 Hondas then the "Champion 3500 Watt" is the way to go!
It's nice to get as far away from the track noise and try to relax in the pits in between races and actually be able to hold a conversation with the guy next to you without having to yell over excessive generator and compressor noise. If you can't afford another couple hundred buck in this hobby then maybe you shouldn't be in it either....that is just as funny.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:50 AM
Tech Adept

Another couple hundred?

Show me a generator that is quiet enough to not bother you for $500 and still have the wattage that the champion has..

3500 watts with a 4000 watt surge.

I can see if your sitting right on top of the thing in the pits and like the smell of the fumes, but thats where the 100 foot 10 guage cord comes in
Old 03-26-2011, 07:04 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Let's try not to go down the traditional route of flaming and arguing. It's very simple. Buy what you can afford (or what you want) and keep having fun. If you have a loud gene, just position yourself away from the majority of the crowd. If your running nitro, it really does not matter because it is loud all over the place.

I purchased an inverter gene, not because of noise level, but because of weight and size. I drive a Jeep Grand Cherokee and a traditional gene would be too heavy and big for me to put in the back with my rc equipment. If I drove a truck I would have dropped a cool $199 on a gene and been done with it. I would have just pitted further away.