you may run and then double that
Old 03-24-2011, 07:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cary
800 watts sounds like a lot but a heat gun can pull 300 to 1000
1 pit light pulb 100 watts alone and so on add up what you think
you may run and then double that
Heat guns are hard on everything. They sometimes trip the breaker at the track. Excluding the heat gun, the 800watts works for basic rc use. The competition heat 21 engine warmer 120v works great with generators. Also, the 800watt gene was not loud at all.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Well

I dont own a heat gun. I use a hairdryer at home during break in..

I use a charger for my reciever battery or whatever...

One pit light...and my cell phone charger...I pod..and computer speakers..

Old 03-24-2011, 08:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

lowes has a little yellow champion gen. for about 325 i have done some research and seems to be a good buy about 3k watts
Old 03-24-2011, 08:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

wish i could afford the honda or yamaha one
Old 03-24-2011, 08:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Originally Posted by merdith6
I dont own a heat gun. I use a hairdryer at home during break in..

I use a charger for my reciever battery or whatever...

One pit light...and my cell phone charger...I pod..and computer speakers..

you need more stuff then
Old 03-24-2011, 08:18 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by jenson40
wish i could afford the honda or yamaha one

your local track doesnt have plug outlets ethier ?

like, i was saying before i use a 12v jumpstart battery and its not heavy you can get better ones that can handle more load and last longer during the day also and their not expensive.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Hilarious...

Originally Posted by cary
you need more stuff then
Your alright in my book Cary......Funny stuff...
Old 03-25-2011, 03:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jaywax
I know a guy who runs that generator at the on-road track. He has used it for almost two years I think. It works fine. Two people can charge off of it.

***Buy the best generator that you can afford. Do not go into debt over it***
Yep thats the one.When our power goes out we use it,we can run the tv,dish box,xbox,pc,and a light all at the same time.So I think it will be plenty for rc use.Some people like to go overkill on everything.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

If your track doesn't have electric that means you're not racing at night. If this is correct, what's the pit light for ?

Unless you're buying a generator for future home use as well, you don't need anything to big. Just use common sense which is God given internal mechanism that has quickly fell by the wayside.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jaywax
I just bought one for rc use about a month ago. It was the Generac ix2000. Generac makes large commercial generators, but they also make the newer more quiter portable inverter generators. It is slightly louder than the Honda, but half the price. Also, has a great warranty. I ordered from this place. It was on sale for $494 free shipping a month ago. The price has gone up, but it is still affordable and they eat the shipping. Good reviews as well.

http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect....tor/p3429.html
This one is made by the Chinese manufacturer that does the Honda knock-offs. I've been testing a Kipor IG2000P (Honda EU200i clone) for over a year now. It's an outstanding little unit. The 1.1 gallon on board tank will run it for over 8 hours with a fan, air compressor, & battery chargers on it.

I took it to Psycho Nitro Blast a couple of weeks ago, and used my 6 gal. aux. fuel tank to keep from having got fuel it up all the time. It powered all of the lights in our 6x10 trailer, battery chargers, Comp Heat motor heaters, dremel, etc...with no problems at all. I started it Thursday morning at 6:00 AM, turned it off at 9:00 PM, started it up again at 6:30AM Friday, turned it off at 1:30 AM on Sat. Fired it up again at 8:00 AM on Sat., then filled the tank up around lunch time because I just didn't trust the gauge on the tank (no way it was only at half a tank). Well, it really had used only 2.9 gallons....very nice!

If you plan to use a heat gun, a 2000 watt is maybe a bit small. Also, if the motor on your compressor is larger than 3/4 hp, a 2000W may not have enough power for it at start up. As long as you're using a small compressor for the track, and you get a Comp Heat motor heater (GREAT investment by the way), a 1200 - 2000 watt will be fine.

The Honda and Yamaha units are the premier, but some of the Chinese clones are reasonably comparable mechanically, just a bit less refined on the "fit and finish". The Kipor, Gererac, ETQ, and Briggs & Stratton are the ones that I would look at first if you're more budget minded, and don't mind decals that have the edges coming up, or rough sections on the plastics.

The problem with using a non-inverter style, is that the voltage is regulated by the speed of the engine (3600 RPM to get 120V or 240V at 60 Hz.) As the RPM varies, so does the voltage. On the cheaper off-brand generators (like the ones you get at Harbor Freight), the governors just are not capable of maintaining a consistent idle, so you get voltage fluctuations. I had the 1000W 4-stroke Harbor Freight unit, and actually burned up a compressor motor because of being under-voltage.

I've been very happy with the inverter style Kipor. It has the "smart throttle" feature, and unless the compressor kicks in, it very rarely has to kick up past the low idle setting. That makes for good fuel savings too...
Old 03-25-2011, 06:15 AM
Tech Regular

Great info here!

I'm considering buying the Kipor IG2000P, too.
I know, everyone is saying Honda and Yamaha are the ones to have, but I doubt they're worth paying so much more. Does anyone know the Zipper ZI-STE 2000?
Old 03-25-2011, 06:21 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Stubbs
This one is made by the Chinese manufacturer that does the Honda knock-offs. I've been testing a Kipor IG2000P (Honda EU200i clone) for over a year now. It's an outstanding little unit. The 1.1 gallon on board tank will run it for over 8 hours with a fan, air compressor, & battery chargers on it.

I took it to Psycho Nitro Blast a couple of weeks ago, and used my 6 gal. aux. fuel tank to keep from having got fuel it up all the time. It powered all of the lights in our 6x10 trailer, battery chargers, Comp Heat motor heaters, dremel, etc...with no problems at all. I started it Thursday morning at 6:00 AM, turned it off at 9:00 PM, started it up again at 6:30AM Friday, turned it off at 1:30 AM on Sat. Fired it up again at 8:00 AM on Sat., then filled the tank up around lunch time because I just didn't trust the gauge on the tank (no way it was only at half a tank). Well, it really had used only 2.9 gallons....very nice!

If you plan to use a heat gun, a 2000 watt is maybe a bit small. Also, if the motor on your compressor is larger than 3/4 hp, a 2000W may not have enough power for it at start up. As long as you're using a small compressor for the track, and you get a Comp Heat motor heater (GREAT investment by the way), a 1200 - 2000 watt will be fine.

The Honda and Yamaha units are the premier, but some of the Chinese clones are reasonably comparable mechanically, just a bit less refined on the "fit and finish". The Kipor, Gererac, ETQ, and Briggs & Stratton are the ones that I would look at first if you're more budget minded, and don't mind decals that have the edges coming up, or rough sections on the plastics.

The problem with using a non-inverter style, is that the voltage is regulated by the speed of the engine (3600 RPM to get 120V or 240V at 60 Hz.) As the RPM varies, so does the voltage. On the cheaper off-brand generators (like the ones you get at Harbor Freight), the governors just are not capable of maintaining a consistent idle, so you get voltage fluctuations. I had the 1000W 4-stroke Harbor Freight unit, and actually burned up a compressor motor because of being under-voltage.

I've been very happy with the inverter style Kipor. It has the "smart throttle" feature, and unless the compressor kicks in, it very rarely has to kick up past the low idle setting. That makes for good fuel savings too...
Are the Chineese models quiet like the Honda?

And if you need more stuff I got you covered
Old 03-25-2011, 06:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Frank,

I've seen a few and they're pretty close to being as quiet as the Honda's. Not bad from what I've seen and the price is a lot better.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:41 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Teufel Racing
Frank,

I've seen a few and they're pretty close to being as quiet as the Honda's. Not bad from what I've seen and the price is a lot better.
Cool

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.