pros and cons of nitro?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

pros and cons of nitro?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 07:45 AM
Tech Adept

The real pro of running nitro is the fact you get to know more people.
This is because when you run electric you do not need anyone. Charge battery and run until it is emply. Pick up the car and change battery. No need for anyone to help you out with that.
When running nitro you have to ask someone to hold your car while going up the driverstand and after a few minutes someone has to corect some needle setting or put new feul in your tank.
It is just more of a "doing things together" thing.
And this is what makes things fun and exiting.
Specialy when running races and pitstops are needed. The guy pitting for you is also pulled in to the race fun and exitement.

just my .02
Old 09-02-2010, 07:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

its the same thing about motocross....but yes i know what you mean...
Old 09-02-2010, 07:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

For me nitro is just more interesting. Theres so many more variables involved. IE: Glowplugs, fuel brand and nitro %, tuned pipes, carbs, fuel tank, fuel lines, clutch adjustments and rebuilding, starting, tuning, etc. Theres so much more involement with running fuel vs electric. Cars also handle differently due to the weight of the engine, exhaust, fuel tank, etc. Imo if you don't like to tinker then electric is the way to go, but if you have a never ending itch to tinker then nitro will scratch that itch
Old 09-02-2010, 08:00 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 207 (100%+)

pros:
very popular class
mmmmmmmmm, the smell of nitro in the morning!

cons:

VERY DIFFICULT to get consistent performance out of an engine unless you or a friend is a tuning guru

you MUST buy the best engines or you will have bad bad times at the track(Novarossi and O.S. - JMO)

you MUST let SOMEONE ELSE do your engine work if your not already familiar with a .21 engine, trust me, you wont better it if you dont know what you are doing, I see guys at the track making 6hr adjustments all the time, Im just like wtf did he just do?

you MUST re-tune quite often........almost daily depending on ambient air temps

you MUST make sure you are safe in the right places(runaways are not fun, or safe)

you MUST be VERY attentive to air filter maintenance(where 75% of n00bs go wrong)

you MUST have a way stricter preventitive maintenance schedule as there is simply more parts to maintain

you MUST do clutch maintenance, clutches WILL cause tune issues which will throw a n00b in a different direction thinking it's the engine acting up when it's actually a clutch

you MUST clean A LOT MORE

electrics are much more intuitive in general, I have never struggled with gascars, just saying
Old 09-02-2010, 08:02 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jwm2
For me nitro is just more interesting. Theres so many more variables involved. IE: Glowplugs, fuel brand and nitro %, tuned pipes, carbs, fuel tank, fuel lines, clutch adjustments and rebuilding, starting, tuning, etc. Theres so much more involement with running fuel vs electric. Cars also handle differently due to the weight of the engine, exhaust, fuel tank, etc. Imo if you don't like to tinker then electric is the way to go, but if you have a never ending itch to tinker then nitro will scratch that itch
my dad loves to tinker. he works on cars and semis for a living...he loves to tinker...
Old 09-02-2010, 08:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by bbrace3m
my dad loves to tinker. he works on cars and semis for a living...he loves to tinker...
Well if he has the time then great, but do YOU have the time and ambition to tinker? That is the real question. It does you no good to let someone else work on your stuff. Thats part of the fun with rc's. Its just about driving them, its about the journey to get them to that point that gives you the ultimate feeling of satisfaction. Its one thing to work on your kids car to get him back on track, but eventually it'll be up to you to take care of it. Expecially if you are 15, you should have a working knowledge of your own vehicle by this point. If not then just don't be opposed to learning and realize that someday very soon you'll need to do your own maintenence. I bet it would make your dad proud if one day you told him you rebuilt your own rc or fixed whatever part broke the last time you had it out
Old 09-02-2010, 08:14 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Trevor Williams
pros:
very popular class

cons:

VERY DIFFICULT to get consistent performance out of an engine unless you or a friend is a tuning guru

you MUST buy the best engines or you will have bad bad times at the track(Novarossi and O.S. - JMO)

you MUST let SOMEONE ELSE do your engine work if your not already familiar with a .21 engine, trust me, you wont better it if you dont know what you are doing, I see guys at the track making 6hr adjustments all the time, Im just like wtf did he just do?

you MUST make sure you are safe in the right places(runaways are not fun, or safe)

you MUST be VERY attentive to air filter maintenance(where 75% of n00bs go wrong)

you MUST have a way stricter preventitive maintenance schedule as there is simply more parts to maintain

you MUST do clutch maintenance, clutches WILL cause tune issues which will throw a n00b in a different direction thinking it's the engine acting up when it's actually a clutch

electrics are much more intuitive in general, I have never struggled with gascars, just saying
See I dont see these as cons, I like to do this stuff, thats why I have nitro..
Old 09-02-2010, 08:17 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

lemme guess.........you learned everything on your own and your the local hotshoe right?

Last edited by Trevor Williams; 09-02-2010 at 08:31 AM.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:18 AM
Tech Fanatic

pros:
very popular class

cons:

Well our definition of best must differ, because i don't consider os or novarossi to be the best anymore. Engines like Werks, Go Engine, RB imo are as good or better than novas and os and cost considerably less. I personally like go engines, they have tons of power and cost very little. I was running this weekend with guys running ninjas and had no issues keeping up with their buggies with my truggy on the straights. To me thats power.

I paid $160 for 3 go engines, 1 brand new, 1 with less than 2 gallons through it and 1 that needed repinched but is now as good as new. The new one was a 7 port, the barely used one was a 3 port and the 5 port needed repinched which was done for $30 shipping included. Thats 3 rock solid engines for $100-200 less than 1 good engine. So i've got one in my buggy, one in my truggy and a spare all set to drop in when the time comes and it's needed Also for cheap i can rebuild any of the 3 engines and the parts are plentiful.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:19 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

i said JMO, lol

Last edited by Trevor Williams; 09-02-2010 at 08:30 AM.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:19 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jwm2
Well if he has the time then great, but do YOU have the time and ambition to tinker? That is the real question. It does you no good to let someone else work on your stuff. Thats part of the fun with rc's. Its just about driving them, its about the journey to get them to that point that gives you the ultimate feeling of satisfaction. Its one thing to work on your kids car to get him back on track, but eventually it'll be up to you to take care of it. Expecially if you are 15, you should have a working knowledge of your own vehicle by this point. If not then just don't be opposed to learning and realize that someday very soon you'll need to do your own maintenence. I bet it would make your dad proud if one day you told him you rebuilt your own rc or fixed whatever part broke the last time you had it out
already have. just got done last night rebuilding my ft b4. diff, shocks, bearings, replaced sloppy parts, worn down parts, and got some hop ups for it
Old 09-02-2010, 08:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

lemme guess.........you learned everything on your own and your the local hotshoe right?
Are you reffering to me? I've learned everything i know about nitro on my own and over the last 10 years. From browsing the forums, taking tech tips for everyone i could and experimenting on my own. I just said he needs to learn this stuff for himself and not depend so much on dad to fix his stuff. You can learn this stuff on your own and should. I didn't have access to a local hobby shop, the nearest one to me is over an hour away and the guys there aren't very nice when it comes to asking questions.

I'm not saying there weren't times of frustration and months of shelf time for some of my rc's. In fact one kit took my father in law and myself 11 years to complete! But in the end i'm better for it and have learned that rc's aren't always cut and dry. But thats part of the fun of nitro and rc's in general.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:26 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

no I was'nt.............well said, and I agree
Old 09-02-2010, 08:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by bbrace3m
already have. just got done last night rebuilding my ft b4. diff, shocks, bearings, replaced sloppy parts, worn down parts, and got some hop ups for it
Thats good, you already have alot more knowledge than i did when i started in nitro. I'd say go for it and don't look back. You'll have more fun and if you like to tinker then nitro is definately where you need to be. Nitro is about helping others and getting help when you need it, at least when at a local track and racing. I just wish i had some tracks closer to home, so its not such a drive when i get the urge to put down a few laps
Old 09-02-2010, 08:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

no I was'nt.............well said, and I agree
Oh lol, sorry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.