R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   pros and cons of nitro? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/431151-pros-cons-nitro.html)

bbrace3m 09-02-2010 05:15 AM

pros and cons of nitro?

can you nitro guys out there give me the pros and cons of nitro? thanks really appreciate it

jeff_ellis_9 09-02-2010 05:29 AM

My personal Pro's and Cons:

Pro's:
-longer runtime
-smell
-more realistic to work on
-no battery worries

Con's"
-noisy (not really a problem but if you got close neighbors, well, you know...)
-tuning can be a pain
-costly sometimes (i.e. fuel @ $25 gal, servos, motors, etc.)
-Nitro is fast, but compared to some electrics, nitro is much slower

NitroXray80809 09-02-2010 06:11 AM

If you got good gear and running equipment you shouldnt have issues. Maybe just some spare parts, glow plugs, bearings and you should be set. As far as compairing to electric it costs more because fuel, normally race price is more and parts are more to but its worth the fun, I have more fun running me nitros then electrics once i got good gear.

tc5 man 09-02-2010 06:11 AM

pros
1. the sound of the engine running you cant beat that.
2. the smoke and noise and smell of the fuel
3. just more exciteing to race more of a rush

cons
1. the engine does need tuning most of the time but nothing major really
2. it is more messy than electrics but nothing a air compresser cant help
3. buying fuel is about $30 but it can last you almost a mouth if you dont practice all the time.

4. clutches require matenience but not to hard to matain.

5. yea nitro can be slower than electic 1/8 but electric is harder to drive and a lot of tracks i know never have enough of them to make a class.

so basilly i say go for the nitro its more funner and you will be happy you did.

NitroXray80809 09-02-2010 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by tc5 man (Post 7888500)

5. yea nitro can be slower than electic 1/8 but electric is harder to drive and a lot of tracks i know never have enough of them to make a class.

so basilly i say go for the nitro its more funner and you will be happy you did.

NOOOO electric 1/8 is way easier to run, how do you figure its harder? With electric you have instent power and torque. An elctric needs like no run to clear what nitros need alot of run to clear. Electric is way easier to run and clean its the girly way to run 1/8th. Also electric in nitro class have advantage in small mains because no pits!

tc5 man 09-02-2010 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by NitroXray80809 (Post 7888516)
NOOOO electric 1/8 is way easier to run, how do you figure its harder? With electric you have instent power and torque. An elctric needs like no run to clear what nitros need alot of run to clear. Electric is way easier to run and clean its the girly way to run 1/8th. Also electric in nitro class have advantage in small mains because no pits!

no lol i, meant that they are harder to drive because of all the torque it has.

i know, there has been a couple of 1/8 elec truggy/buggy and the guys driving the nitro i see winning every time.

sure a, 1/8 electric can clear some bigger jumps easier but with nitro just hold in the throttle and it can clear it.

bbrace3m 09-02-2010 06:20 AM

there are a few electric buggys up here but no nitros so maybe i will be the oddball and go for nitro. you know i drove nick vasquaz d8 and wanted to sell my ve8 instantly....sucky thing is i can race them when i go race my 2wd buggy. i will have to sell my t4 to get me a nitro buggy...we have had arguments at one of my local tracks about running nitro and electric together...but you just have to drive harder and smoother and use the throttle wisly....thanks for the input guys!!! keep it coming...(i did notice the guys are more helpful in the nitro world then electric):nod::lol:

NitroXray80809 09-02-2010 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by bbrace3m (Post 7888534)
there are a few electric buggys up here but no nitros so maybe i will be the oddball and go for nitro. you know i drove nick vasquaz d8 and wanted to sell my ve8 instantly....sucky thing is i can race them when i go race my 2wd buggy. i will have to sell my t4 to get me a nitro buggy...we have had arguments at one of my local tracks about running nitro and electric together...but you just have to drive harder and smoother and use the throttle wisly....thanks for the input guys!!! keep it coming...(i did notice the guys are more helpful in the nitro world then electric):nod::lol:

Nitro is really fun, one thing you will notice when you do the switch it is commentment, and alot more fidling then just plug in a battery like electric. It is way more work, as for the D8 for the price they are sweeeeeeet!

bbrace3m 09-02-2010 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by NitroXray80809 (Post 7888547)
Nitro is really fun, one thing you will notice when you do the switch it is commentment, and alot more fidling then just plug in a battery like electric. It is way more work, as for the D8 for the price they are sweeeeeeet!

i am trying to a rc8b but kinda short on money right now....im 15 birthday is coming a couple months so im starting to work on a project jeep to drive..i had a ve8 and liked it but i went 2 esc in a month. and 180 esc gets pricy when it takes 1 month to get back...what engine is a good one to start on? something thats not too expensive cuase i will probly ruin it

tc5 man 09-02-2010 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by bbrace3m (Post 7888534)

well from, only running a electric a long time ago guys who run electric are more to, them selfs and thats why i like running nitro you can get more help and are more willing to pit for you and than you pit for them you get to meet people more.

tc5 man 09-02-2010 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by bbrace3m (Post 7888565)
i am trying to a rc8b but kinda short on money right now....im 15 birthday is coming a couple months so im starting to work on a project jeep to drive..i had a ve8 and liked it but i went 2 esc in a month. and 180 esc gets pricy when it takes 1 month to get back...what engine is a good one to start on? something thats not too expensive cuase i will probly ruin it

well dont start out with a italy made engine since they are very tight to break in .

i whould get a dynamite mach .21 engine there easy to break in easy to tune and pretty fast too.

bbrace3m 09-02-2010 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by tc5 man (Post 7888566)
well from, only running a electric a long time ago guys who run electric are more to, them selfs and thats why i like running nitro you can get more help and are more willing to pit for you and than you pit for them you get to meet people more.

perfect example....i did my first hot start last month and was told that i am good kid. i pulled a guys battery out of a car that was getting ready to burst in flames and got nothing...mad me sad i didnt get anything for risking that blowing up in my hand:(

bbrace3m 09-02-2010 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by tc5 man (Post 7888579)
well dont start out with a italy made engine since they are very tight to break in .

i whould get a dynamite mach .21 engine there easy to break in easy to tune and pretty fast too.

thats what ive been thinking and i work at a HS as you can see in my signature. they are 129.99 on a main so i bet my cost isnt much over 100 bucks..just like buying a mamba max pro

mattozx6rr 09-02-2010 06:37 AM

pros

Sound and smell.
More realistic to drive.
More exciting to race.
Very short learning curve.
Less technical.

cons
Fuel cost.
Sometimes tuning(especially on a day with big temp swings)
more wear parts to replace.
Can be a little messy to clean up (especially if your pit guy washes your car in fuel)
Not as torqy as electric.

Honestly i run both electric and nitro. I am actually quite frustrated with electric as I am not very experienced in that side and the manufacturers have made it damn near impossible to get a grip on motor ratings let alone what works with what. It would seem that unless you possess a degree in quazi electrical physics you are doomed to never understand it.:( Nitro is not that way. Simple to understand and operate efficiently. Electric is sensored, unsensored, brushed, brushless, turns, kv and not all speed controlls will run all motors.:( Nitro you drop a motor in and go.:D Only considration is brand and size. I will keep running SC electric but, if a nitro class came along in my area I would gladly jump ship immediately.:nod:

bacchus 09-02-2010 07:37 AM

If all you want to do is concentrate on driving then electric is nice. If you like to tinker and get more of a charge out of an actual engine running nitro is the best.

Personally I'll stay nitro as long as i can. If time becomes an issue one day maybe i'll try an electric but highly doubtful. BOOOOOOOOORING...