Wiki Posts
Search

HB D8 vs. OD Z01B

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 06:55 PM
D8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i only had two problems with my z01b t... the rear diff stripped out a little and that was due to my improper shimming from the prior ower, he ran the buggy just a few times before i got it and the 2nd problem was the bottom screw coming off the front spindle carrier resulting on a dnf in the a-main, the spindle broke off the carrier... i have both buggies but i currently run the Z01B Team..

Old 06-07-2010, 07:32 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JSR
Thanks guys.

Razathorn -
How often do you find you need to service the CVD pins?
Seems like much of the other issues have to do with droop when running the stock length shocks, which should be fine for us as we don't run much droop anyways usually (our tracks are pretty smooth).
Depends. If the track is not dusty, you can go a season on them. If the track is dusty, they you may have to rebuild them once or twice. It is an obvious and slow process -- just check them and try to tighten the set screws. If they were loose, back them off, replace the barrel and pin if it has lots of play, and apply fresh loctite regardless.

Wayne
Old 06-07-2010, 07:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JSR
I have an HPI E-Savage also and had some minor issues. On the boards, people said when they called in that they were just offered the part that was known to be problematic. When I called, they said I'd have to send it in and some other stuff, so I just bought some parts instead as it would've cost just as much to send it in.

So far it seems the D8 is winning by a big margin in feedback/reviews. In another thread, someone mentioned their D8 has all the lightened parts and weighs in at 8lbs 14oz...virtually 9lbs...pretty heavy considering it's been lightened. I guess that additional weight contributes to it's stability.
He must of weighed it wrong the stock D8 comes in at under 8lbs and an all light weight car weighs aroung 7.4 lbs.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:32 AM
JSR
Tech Master

D8 -

Why do you currently run the Z01B Team instead of the D8? What are the differences in handling differences between the two from your experience?

Thanks.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:07 AM
D8
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JSR
D8 -

Why do you currently run the Z01B Team instead of the D8? What are the differences in handling differences between the two from your experience?

Thanks.
IMO....the od team buggy has more steering than d8 and it can be a pain if you don't have a good setup., i replaced the front spindles on z01b team with the hb d8 ones and the steering feels perfect., the d8 is more planted, easier to drive and better balanced, the z01b can handle very rough tracks better once is dialed and i also think that the z01b team jumps better., as far as shock tower quality the od has the edge, the z01b team comes with lightened out drives, spur gear, the universal driveshaft of the z01b are better., in plastics quality(susp arms ect..) they both very good.. i removed the batt box in my z01b team in order to lower the batt cg and to moved the batt back just below 1/2" to find more balance, look at pics below., but overall... i really like both buggies!
Attached Thumbnails HB D8 vs. OD Z01B-p1010184.jpg   HB D8 vs. OD Z01B-p1010185.jpg  
Old 06-08-2010, 10:19 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

Originally Posted by D8
IMO....the od team buggy has more steering than d8 and it can be a pain if you don't have a good setup., i replaced the front spindles on z01b team with the hb d8 ones and the steering feels perfect., the d8 is more planted, easier to drive and better balanced, the z01b can handle very rough tracks better once is dialed and i also think that the z01b team jumps better., as far as shock tower quality the od has the edge, the z01b team comes with lightened out drives, spur gear, the universal driveshaft of the z01b are better., in plastics quality(susp arms ect..) they both very good.. i removed the batt box in my z01b team in order to lower the batt cg and to moved the batt back just below 1/2" to find more balance, look at pics below., but overall... i really like both buggies!
Wait D8, didn't you have that insanely common problem of flipping your car while going 3mph and your shock tower bending!?!?! I hated that!

If speedy2 says so... haha
Old 06-08-2010, 10:33 AM
D8
Tech Master

Originally Posted by scoopdaloop
Wait D8, didn't you have that insanely common problem of flipping your car while going 3mph and your shock tower bending!?!?! I hated that!

i have beat the hell out of my d8 rear tower and it still standing tall and looking good!.. i guess that he stepped on the buggy after it flipped on the lid
Old 06-08-2010, 10:37 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by scoopdaloop

The d8 rear tower was updated due to the original being somewhat flawed. I still run the original 'bad design' ones all the time, but if you send a pic to hotbodies of your tower all jacked up, they'll mail you out a new redesigned tower free of charge. Extreme crashes that involve landing on the wing can bend it, but like noted, it has been fixed a while back.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:26 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

d8
Old 06-08-2010, 06:39 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

One thing to consider: The price of the Z01B keeps going down. A product that keeps falling in value while others stay consistent is usually not a good sign for the future of that product.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by D8
i have beat the hell out of my d8 rear tower and it still standing tall and looking good!.. i guess that he stepped on the buggy after it flipped on the lid
i drove the snot out of his D8 too that buggy is killer.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

I drove the D8 for over a year and love the buggy i broke 2 old style shock towers and it was just landing but i knew about the shock problem so it was really no biggy i just called HB and they send me a new one and after that no problems and the only part i ever broke was a rear hub and it was 31 degrees out side and i now race the D8T and it is just as good as the buggy and i dont car what no one says HB as brought a very good car to the race market for half the price.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:35 AM
JSR
Tech Master

Can someone post pics of the old and new shock towers? How can you tell the difference?
Old 06-10-2010, 08:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

JSR....I know I work and race for Odonnell but I will give you my opinion on these cars as I have run both in this past year.

I ran the D8 when I was working at Novak last year...the car is good, there are some parts that did break but they have addressed the problems. In order to make the car lighter and up to race specs you may have to put some money into it. There are certian items that need to be replaced frequently. Now saying all this the car handles good and is good to drive.

Now with the O'Donnell car...it comes race ready, no need to add anything to it. It is very durable(I think I have only broken 1 part in 9 months). The car is nimble with good traction. It builds up great. No need for extra tools you may not have like reamers or sandpaper. And the cars parts last a long time.

Customer service at both places are very good so there is no problem there.

Saying all this If you are still trying to make a decision...remember the Z01B-SG will be out this month. I would wait for this car as I beleive that is what you are looking for.

And for anyone who sees me at the track...dont be shy to come up and talk and even ask to drive my car. I will be willing to answer any questions you have and even let you take the Car out for a spin!

See ya at the track,

BArry
Old 06-10-2010, 09:48 AM
Tech Apprentice

I just bought my D8 a couple months ago and have ran it at a club race and an rc pro series race. the car is setup very well out of the box. it drives very forgiving and flys in the air real nice. yes the rear shocks are not long enough to run anything past 101mm shock lengths in the rear. i have zero upgrades on my car, (not even a aluminum servo arm) and have not broke a thing.

the stock rear shock tower being bent as reported by some is true. i did bend mine at the rc pro race i ran, but that was because of the large jump at the track. it had a very bad landing transition and was hard on every car that was racing that weekend. i have since bent mine back and have ordered the upgraded rear tower. The car blows my mind how good it is for how cheap they are selling it for. I have put around two gallons threw the chassis and there is no slop in the arms yet if you want a light buggy though, look elsewhere is she weighs quite a bit compaired to a xray or losi.

For $300, how well the car preforms, drives, builds, and maintains, you cant beat it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.