Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What kind of servos for Nitro Buggy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 08:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

I picked up 2 radios last night in the for sale section, a JR XS3 Synth FM Pistol and a Futaba 3PJ for 55.00 shipped and a JR Racing Z650 High Torque Servo for 25.00 shipped.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:45 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Slokomo
Hi everyone, I am building a new D8 and am wondering how much torque is needed for the steering and throttle servos. I have a Hitec 965MG servo now for steering but I'm afraid it doesn't have quite the needed torque. Can anyone recommend some cheap, good servos? thanks.
Your in the wrong hobby if you are gonna try to do everything cheap. I personally HATE ACE/AE servos, I like JR servos alot, but because they are 200 a piece I choose hitec 7950 servos and so far so good. In no way is Ace servos better than hitec.

DO NOT BY USED... You will be on here crying how it dont work, how you got ripped off ect.......................
Old 06-04-2010, 08:56 AM
Tech Master

Theres nothing wrong with buying anything used, hell do you go buy a new car everytime you need one?!?!? R/C stuff is exactly like a real car, you dont know how it was treated or taken care of and when you buy used, you take the chance of it either sucking or you get a long lasting like new item, its called risk and reward.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:35 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jrherald420
Theres nothing wrong with buying anything used, hell do you go buy a new car everytime you need one?!?!? R/C stuff is exactly like a real car, you dont know how it was treated or taken care of and when you buy used, you take the chance of it either sucking or you get a long lasting like new item, its called risk and reward.
well said

I personally feel sorry for you guys that waste all of your money on buying "new" parts all the time. I just bought a used Nova engine, runs fine. Just 2 days ago I bought a used HiTec servo, Rx battery, and charger, all used and works very good! Shewt matter of fact I bought my entire buggy used. Nothing had failed yet! Just sold the motor that was in it (Mach 427) used when I got it, still has great compression and runs like a sewing machine!

Like said above ^, risk and reward, and you will save yourself alot of money. This is r/c racing folks, most of you probably club race. Its not like your competing for grand prize of $100,000,000 like in a nascar race.

my .02
Old 06-04-2010, 10:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

there is a far cry from the comparison of used rc to automobiles, size characteristics of scale utilizing components made of 1/8 plastic and aluminum/steel to counterparts of 1/1 metal and steel etc...(offroad 1/1 and 1/8 both have tremendous "wear" characteristics)and considering the beating offroad takes and you compare to 1/1 offroad well if you understand how often that needs repaired and or replaced then you will see why chances are better not to be taken buying used. i too buy used although all my race gear was bought brand new. when buying used i test, tear down and examine product to insure things will last for example a 30 min main not just a 30 min bash race session. as this hobby continues for an individual you find some shortcuts although buying used will eventually get the best of you
Old 06-04-2010, 10:32 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 8&stuff
there is a far cry from the comparison of used rc to automobiles, size characteristics of scale utilizing components made of 1/8 plastic and aluminum/steel to counterparts of 1/1 metal and steel etc...(offroad 1/1 and 1/8 both wear cars a lot)and considering the beating offroad takes and you compare to 1/1 offroad well if you understand how often that needs repaired and or replaced then you will see why chances are better not to be taken buying used. i too buy used although all my race gear was bought brand new. when buying used i test, tear down and examine product to insure things will last for example a 30 min main not just a 30 min bash race session. as this hobby continues for an individual you find some shortcuts although buying used will eventually get the best of you
I agree. I would maybe buy a used chassis because you see what you get, but for sure not servos or motors. It always cracks me up about motors for sale that "have only been broken-in" or "maybe 1/2 of a gallon". Who, other than a sponsored pro racer, is going to get a $500 motor and run it for 1/2 of a gallon? If I'm dropping that kind of jack on a motor, you can bet I will run it as long as it lasts. Same with servos. If I buy a $150 servo, i'm going to run it until it pukes and not sell it after "maybe 3 runs" or "like new". Just my $0.02.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sdtech58
I agree. I would maybe buy a used chassis because you see what you get, but for sure not servos or motors. It always cracks me up about motors for sale that "have only been broken-in" or "maybe 1/2 of a gallon". Who, other than a sponsored pro racer, is going to get a $500 motor and run it for 1/2 of a gallon? If I'm dropping that kind of jack on a motor, you can bet I will run it as long as it lasts. Same with servos. If I buy a $150 servo, i'm going to run it until it pukes and not sell it after "maybe 3 runs" or "like new". Just my $0.02.

this can go on and on and on. the more people in the hobby the better. cheaper the better. just keep those wheels turning
Old 06-04-2010, 12:04 PM
Tech Elite

Yes, I buy a NEW car when ever I need one. RC is nothing like a real car bud. Do you take your real car off of 7 foot jumps flying 50 feet?
Do you have to tune your real car?

Engines and servos should not be brought used. You dont know if they were ran right or how many gals they have on it. I have seen to many people burnt buying used RC stuff compared to people getting burnt from a use REAL car.

I think a hell of alot more people would say not to buy used engines and electronics....
Old 06-04-2010, 01:27 PM
Tech Master

Well its just opinions, ive bought used R/C gear since 1993 and have had very few problems. I always do as much research as i can about the used product i buy and find out what kind of failure rate it has/what most peoples problems are with it.... Oh by the way YES i do have to tune my car....1968 Mustangs didnt have eletronic fuel injection!! And being a Mechanic i can say cars go through alot more hell than a R/C car does, pot hole and speed bumps are hell on a car.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:52 PM
Tech Elite

Well its just opinions, ive bought used R/C gear since 1993 and have had very few problems. I always do as much research as i can about the used product i buy and find out what kind of failure rate it has/what most peoples problems are with it.... Oh by the way YES i do have to tune my car....1968 Mustangs didnt have eletronic fuel injection!! And being a Mechanic i can say cars go through alot more hell than a R/C car does, pot hole and speed bumps are hell on a car.

OK mechanic - - -
Old 06-04-2010, 01:53 PM
Tech Master

Ok Token...
Old 06-04-2010, 02:10 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by daveflyr
Has anyone had any experience with Hitec's High
voltage servos such as the HS-7954SH?
at 6.0 volts its torque and speed is the same as the HS-7955TG
that most people recommend, however it will handle 7.4 volts
and this increases the torque to 403 oz/in and speed to .12 sec.
what are the advantages of the titanium gears of the 7955 as opposed
to the metal gears of the 7954?
Uh, i think the 7954 is exactly the same as the 7955 but with steel gears to lower the price a bit.

The 7955's gears are lighter. That may make the servo run cooler or faster. But I'd buy the 7954's with confidence.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I agree it's risk vs reward when buying used stuff. On the other hand, I, along with a lot of other racers feel that it is very tricky to get stuff like good used servos and engines, especially when the stuff has been run in nitro offroad.

I have bought a good amount of stuff used, but 99% of the time it's from someone I know at the track and race with every week.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:53 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Old 06-05-2010, 08:17 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Ya I do that way I know where it's been.

I recently bought a used transponder. When it came it needed a complete new lead. The wired were cut next to the transpnder, cut mid wire andthe neg was only holding on by a few strands. Th picture dis not show this damage. All to save $20 so I spent 5-7 on parts to make it right again. The bottom line is yo get what you pay for and buying from someone that you know goes a long way in my book. I sell stuff at the track all the time when guys need parts, servos etc. Thy buy from me because they know I don't sell junk. So nothing wrong with used but you are taking a chance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.