Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Nitro engine?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 09:20 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Look up anywhere the EBMODS JS engine. You can get a race prepped for 269 I believe. These are the top of the line engines out right now. 11-12 minutes runtime, and tons of power.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kodiakbear7070
These motors are good a lil harder to tune and break in you have to be patient with these motors but for the price you can not beat the power you can also get these motors with or without a pipe and header im doing about 20-30 min per tank with a fuel cell that is 125cc but you just have to have patientents with these motors and you will be amazed and satisfied with these motors.
I call Bull $hit on the run time of a 125cc tank.. Maybe with 2 125cc tanks.. Cause if you could then everyone would run this engine..
Old 03-28-2010, 12:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I am really happy with my Clockwork Racing modified JL .21. As other said, contact Maximo on the forums. He is very helpful!
Old 03-28-2010, 12:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Default Best Bang for your Bux

http://www.lucky7rc.com/l7home/produ...h8mnrqfkj4j032

read some feedback for yourself. =)

http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...js-engine.html
Old 03-28-2010, 08:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Thanks for the input guys... I believe that the werks b5 will probably be the best option for me based on what I have read in this and other threads.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default honestly

I have seen the b5's wear a little early. I think you would like the power and so on with an alpha red head or a p5 novarossi....or a bf.....Just my opinion.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:50 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by merdith6
I have seen the b5's wear a little early. I think you would like the power and so on with an alpha red head or a p5 novarossi....or a bf.....Just my opinion.
Now that's the kind of response I have been waiting for. I want to make my decision based on somebodies experiences and recommendations. Not based on some of the sales pitches I have seen here.

I don't care for modded engines.. I mean I'm racing on the club level and I'm fairly new to 1/8 buggy. Modded engines just aren't necessary for what I'm doing. I also don't care too much about how much power they put out.. which most people didn't read in the first post.

I'm looking for a long lasting engine that will hold a good consistent tune and has decent run time. Thanks for your opinion merdith6.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:03 AM
Tech Regular

Alpha , RB killer 9
Old 03-29-2010, 07:11 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by geejay
Alpha , RB killer 9
Yes.. those are 2 engines.. but why are they worth mentioning?? I need opinions and reasons why certain things are recommended. Not just names.

Its hard to make an educated decision based on just names.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:14 AM
Tech Regular

There is no educated guess in RC, you run what you wanna run. I was just suggesting 2 engines that I think where in your price range. But you dont have to shoot the messenger.

If you are familiar withe hobby, you would know that RB dont make junk and Alpha is probably the most impressive engines of the year.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:16 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Originally Posted by pfunk66
Yes.. those are 2 engines.. but why are they worth mentioning?? I need opinions and reasons why certain things are recommended. Not just names.

Its hard to make an educated decision based on just names.
Alpha- my personal experience:

Note that the engine I have is the S852 5+2 port version. (Orange head) There are 2 differences between it, the z852 5+2 port (Green head) and F850 5 port (Red head.) The 2 differences among the 3 engines are the porting of the sleeve, and the color of the anodizing on the head.

Initial impressions: S852

Casting and machine work is virtually jewelry quality. The pics you will see online do NOT do it justice. Packaging is well done. The attention to detail from this manufacturer is obvious in every phase. They include 3 venturi inserts so you have options to tune to suit your driving style and maximize performance/mileage.

Lots of pinch at first... takes some patience to break in. Figure at least a gallon before it starts to wake up.

Once this engine breaks in HOLD ON. It falls in the catagory of STUPID fast. Run times are above average. I haven't ran it long enough to tell you how long it will last for me... but I personally know a number of folks running this engine, (both sponsored and not) and it seems to be much more durable than average. I have not heard of anyone getting less than 6+ gallons out of one... where a VSPEC (sorry, not bashing it, just using it as something to compare to) usually lasts 3-4 gallons for ME in truggy.

F850 ($199 Red head 5 port) is comparable in power (per multiple folks I know running them) to the VSPEC.

S852 ($209 Orange head 5+2 port "torque" engine) (the one I have) is stronger than anything I've run except MAYBE the Werks B7 Pro, and I really can't tell on that because I only ran that in buggy, and only ran this in truggy. Smooth on bottom, lots of "grunt," plenty on top.

Z852 (Also $209, Green head 5+2 port but tuned more toward higher rpm) is not what you would call smooth... comes on hard at a little higher RPM and pulls until the cows come home. Good for big, fast, open tracks. Power curve a bit on the abrupt side, probably not great for a beginner to race with, but VERY fast in the hands of the right driver.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:19 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

To sum up that last post... based on what YOU said you are looking for... I'd suggest the Alpha F850 5 port (Red head) engine, for $199 from RC Pro Products.

Here is the engine page of their online store:

http://shop.rcproproducts.com/catego...?categoryId=17
Old 03-29-2010, 08:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I've put 4 gallons on a Losi 350 and it still rips. No pinch but nice compression. With the turbo button and RE11 I get 8:30-9 minutes. I've seen them new for $135. You could pick up the pipe and button for ~$100. I have the GRP Tuned and actually like the Losi better. Runs times for me have been about the same between the motors (6.5mm carb restrictor in the GRP) but the bottom end is smoother (still plenty of punch) on the 350 and it has a lot better top end as well (no restrictor on the 350). I want to try something else but I'm having a hard time justifying it.

I race pretty much every weekend and I've never been low on power (havent seen anything faster down the straight yet). I couldnt make a single stop 20 minute main (which is my only real goal at this point) but ours are usually 15 minutes anyways.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:12 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by pfunk66
Now that's the kind of response I have been waiting for. I want to make my decision based on somebodies experiences and recommendations. Not based on some of the sales pitches I have seen here.

I don't care for modded engines.. I mean I'm racing on the club level and I'm fairly new to 1/8 buggy. Modded engines just aren't necessary for what I'm doing. I also don't care too much about how much power they put out.. which most people didn't read in the first post.

I'm looking for a long lasting engine that will hold a good consistent tune and has decent run time. Thanks for your opinion merdith6.

I think the life of the engine depends on the break in, I have
purchased a few different engines lately and the werks was the easiest. I have found that the italianengines are just plain better...sorry for all the guys with the cheapos but its the truth. you can take an alpha or an rb killer 9 and idle half a tank then run it and it will last the same as if you spent a gallon breaking it in. but with the Werks and the novas if you take your time breaking it in and do the heat cycles then they will go 10+ gallons. if thats a short life then sorry guess I am hard on engines. bottom line so you can save the money I have thrown away lately I can say get a werks 1st, nova (anything from monty) second. only difference between the two companies is I have found the werks to be easier to get tuned in. but both comparible in performance with Houston thread and the werks thread the customer service is awesome..
Old 03-29-2010, 09:53 AM
Tech Regular

Try to find anyone saying anything bad about Novarossi P5X(L or LT), even after all these years.
Im rurrently running N21BF, and its all good, but it really cant be compared to the P5.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.