Ask Aaron Waldron

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask Aaron Waldron

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2004, 02:38 PM
Tech Regular

So,Are you gonna start runnin Rossi Can you tell a big difference between Evo & the Drake motor?

Last edited by Sofast-NT; 10-30-2004 at 02:46 PM.
Old 10-30-2004, 03:32 PM
Tech Elite

It's hard for me to make too many judgements on that motor last night because the track was really good and I was trying to race two cars and..it was crazy.

I still think the Sirio engine has more top-end (Adam could pull a good 5 ft. on me down the straight) but this engine had no lack of usable power through the infield. I will need more time to decide how it compares to the Sirio engines, but my first impression was really good.
Old 10-30-2004, 04:20 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

That pixey still needs to still break in. Those are silly fast motors but pricey.
Old 10-31-2004, 12:44 AM
Tech Elite

It was definitely silly fast..it's nice to know that Trinity has so many dialed motors to choose from hehe.
Old 10-31-2004, 03:42 AM
Tech Regular

so ive been quietly compiling a small spiral notebook made up of what ive pulled off this thread since i joined RC tech way back when. every little relevant (or so i thought) tidbit of info ive been able to grab ive written down in this little book for a day just like thursday. this gets a little long, so grab a brew, light a smoke, and read on about my first REAL rc experience

after a fairly disappointing run on thursday, i decided to completely pull apart my GT for a through cleaning and reset. I decided that now was the time, and after carefully entering the combo to the safe, i retrieved the all holy spiral notebook thats just labled "waldron" (and no, its not really in a safe ). I spent a couple hours pulling apart the notebook and forming notes based on what was relevant and what was not. what i was left with, was what i felt would be the All-Star setup based on the information passed around in the AAW thread (this thread).

THE CAR

the wrenching wasnt as meticulous as i would have liked, due to using cut off long rod ends (long story) and worn out front axles, but it was close enough for me. I started by installing a servo saver on my steering servo, and tightening down the stock GT servo saver to take out some of the play (and there was alot of play). i focused primarily on steering accuracy, rear suspension, and the tranny. I made sure the tranny had DAYS of free spin, and i softened up the rear suspension a little bit, using fuel tubing on the shock shafts to keep from bottoming out. the diff was a LOT looser than i normally run too, and the slipper was adjusted accordingly. after i was all done, i packed up and headed off to Xtreme RC in New Milford, Connecticut.

THE TRACK

the track is primarily hard clay, although now at the end of the season, me being about the only off road guy still out there freezing his ass off, i do most of the maintinence myself lol i just raked the clay clean of leaves, and scuffed up some of the turns to allow me to form my own grooves. for the most part, the track grooves up well and provides silly traction in alot of places. the loose part, and probably the only real loose part, is right off the back straight. typically you carry so much speed going into the turn that most drivers just keep on the gas and slide into a controlled drift. leaving the turn plops you into a nasty slow s turn, which opens into a gentle curve rutted with some speed bumps, and thats where the loam ends. from there its the starting straight and its groove city. I took great care in selecting which sections i loosened up

THE DRIVER

after thursday, i wasnt really in much of a mood to drive at all. it was just one of those why bother kind of experiences. I couldnt hold a line, i couldnt jump straight, and i certainly couldnt carry speed through the track. When i got to the track, somthing changed (what i dont know). the smell of the nitro as the CVR fired up with an unmatched ferocity was all it took to get the blood pumpin. after the first tank of nitro, most of the track had a really sweet groove that stuck my almost bald tires to it like they were made of glue. I wasnt as fast as i wanted to be, but as my pop used to say (and im sure still would given the chance) slow and steady wins the race. So i focused more on being consistant rather than fast. It wasnt long before people showed up to get some laps in as well, and just as consistantly as possible i stuck to my guns and began passing them. even a 10 turn double mod!! :O I just held my line as best i could, and one by one as they would spin out from carrying too much speed in a turn, id just stroll right past. it was as exciting as it was frustrating. I wanted to click the trigger so bad it hurt, but the truth is i dont think i pulled it past half way when i wasnt jumping. UNREAL! as the grooves got better i got a little bit faster and a little bit faster and it wasnt long before i had her whipping around the track like she was a slot car. soon i had a small group of people gathering around watching in awe. a totally unreal experience that i dont think i could compare to anything else. im 100% confident that if there were a race that day, i would have gone home with nothing less than 3rd or 2nd in gas truck.

THE CONCLUSION (dum dum dummmmmmmmmmm)

i guess i just want to thank everyone (especially casper, mafia, and aaron) for the input that helped me tune the driver as much as the car. ive never ran a more dialed gas truck, and ive never had that kind of confidence in anything. nor have i had the skill to back it up
Old 10-31-2004, 08:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally posted by beetlebz
[Bi guess i just want to thank everyone (especially casper, mafia, and aaron) [/B]
Thank you for that....I've got a stupid grin on my face right now. Aaron, is the one to thank here....usually, I just repeat everything he says in different words....I'm merely an innocent bystander with a few pennies in my pocket to through around when its needed.

You'll get it beetlebz....follow the way of the waldron and you can't go wrong. I'm glad everything worked out for you.
Old 10-31-2004, 08:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Sounds like you had a blast. I love the days when the car and my driving are dialed! It's difficult to make yourself slow down and drive clean for a long period. I know that's when I finish the best. Last race I was in I felt like grandma, but finished 2nd in all quals and the main! I started running my motor at 204 degrees, and that made things easier plus I didn't bother trying for the BIG jumps, instead focused on landing the doubles properly and not scrubbing speed.

Be careful of running the loosed diff though, the gear can melt before ya know it.
Old 10-31-2004, 10:03 AM
Tech Elite

You guys give me too much credit. I just pass on the information given to me from the powers-that-be.

beetle - You will find that unless you're racing stock truck, not pulling the trigger will be the fastest way around the track. Some gas races we go to, it is not uncommon to never touch full throttle, sometimes even on the straightaway. I am also very notorious for never turning full-lock in either direction.

A smooth throttle finger is no less evident in mod electric racing. A HUGE majority of club-level racers will be faster around a track with a stock motor just for this reason.
Old 10-31-2004, 12:16 PM
Tech Elite

The easier you are on your radio.....the easier it will be to drive your car.
Old 10-31-2004, 07:40 PM
Tech Elite

Man I tell ya.....if I get one more trick-er-treater, I'm gonna....

oh, hold on for a sec....
Old 10-31-2004, 07:46 PM
Tech Regular

Aaron
what rear truck tires would you recomend for a loose and dry track?
Old 10-31-2004, 08:54 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

I depends on how deep the loose stuff is. What are others running? Studs usually work well in this stuff. If it is a hard base T-bones may work well.
Old 10-31-2004, 09:14 PM
Tech Elite

mafia - That's why you go out and get candy! My girlfriend and I took my younger siblings around her neighborhood and I scored a whole pillow case full of cavity-causing goodies.

Ted - Like Casper said, you may want to try studs unless the track is really sandy, in which case step pins would still be best. If the track is hard-packed in places and relatively dust-free but broken up in spots, I'd give T-Bones a try.

If the track is just drying out, and hard packed, nothing can beat IFMAR pins.
Old 11-01-2004, 05:28 AM
Tech Regular

our track here is half n half. loamy in the high speed corners and pretty packed everywhere else. i was AMAZED at the performance of the trinity TRC sonics. its like, a hole shot with ribs on the outside. they wear fast though. really helps keep the car from kicking out in the high speed corners where it tends to break loose.
Old 11-01-2004, 07:20 AM
Tech Elite

Aaron,

upon inspection of my rear tires (tapers) after last weeks race, I noticed that the inside (from the center paddles to inside closest to car) of the tire was far more worn than the other half of the tire. This tells me I have a camber....ahyuk. During cornering, the tire leans over and the outside gets to touch the ground and I've got pretty good traction, but still half the tire is shot. Then I lost foward traction. A local pro told me what to buy and I got a set.

Red tapers (buggy) and bomb1 foams. However, I'd dont ask questions, I just do what they tell me. Its pretty cool though, this guy and his pro buddies have boxes of tires! Red w/std foam, red w/standard-firm, r w/bomb1.... these guys seriouesly have every combination of tire....but they're getting thier stuff for free so what can yatchya gonna do....

So my question for you....When is it a compound change and when is it a foam change? and what conditions would warrent those?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.