Wiki Posts
Search

losi tire balancer,junk or not?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 09:07 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default losi tire balancer,junk or not?

got this balancer about a month ago had a little bit of a problem at first than thought i got it. balanced all sets of tires i had.today just for kicks checked a set before i put them on and the hole set was off real bad i mean i took half the clay out of some.i started thinking if this really will work so i took the tires i had rebalanced and gave them a squeeze and once again they were all off.my problem is once i got them balanced and on the track the first jump i hit hard were out of balance.whats the deal with this thing is it bull ?i feel ripped off by losi what a punch of shizzit.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default Tires

Well, it sounds like the foams are moving around in the tire.
I balance all my tires 1/8th and 1/10 cars.
I only had that problem with one tire manufacture and it was a truggy tire.
As far as i know there is no fixing that part, the Balancer works great for me.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The foams will seat after the first run and the tires will often need rebalancing.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:44 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by neobart
The foams will seat after the first run and the tires will often need rebalancing.

read the other tire balancing thread
Old 03-05-2010, 09:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The Losi balancer is a an awesome balancer. If the tires are new that can be your problem. New tires will move and settle on the first run. So what I do is balance them new. Then run them 1-2 qualifiers then balance them again.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:52 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...balancing.html
Old 03-06-2010, 05:31 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

thats the prob than the tires have never been used,its not the foams because the tires have only turned on the balancer.im just amazed that i did not even touch them and they went out of balance.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:35 AM
Tech Adept

I recently purchased a Losi balancer and I'm disappointed. Like you, I had trouble getting a balanced tire to stay balanced.

So I did an experiment. I balanced a tire, removed it from the balancer, immediately remounted it and then tested it again. Sure enough, it would be out of balance again. I repeated this with a set of four new tires and got similar results. Ditto with four used tires. So I turned my attention to the balancer. After a bit of fiddling I discovered that the wheel nut is actually out of balance! At least on mine it is.

I was able to put a large wad of the included balancing clay into the wheel nut and get it as balanced as I could. Since doing so I have had much better results but I know it's still off a little. I can still balance a tire, remove it, rotate the wheel nut 180 degrees, then remount it and the tire will be slightly off again, but only by a hair.

If I had to do it over I think I'd spend the extra and get the Hudy balancer. I doubt Hudy would sell an out-of-balance tire balancer.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hmm weird. I still thinks it's a great balancer. I have see quite a bit of them including mine and have not seen one that didn't work like it should. Give Horizon a call and I am sure they will help you out. There customer service is usually pretty good in my experience.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:48 AM
Tech Addict

Just rummage thru your old parts and grab a front or rear hub, stick some bearings in it that have had the grease cleaned out and lightly oiled, put in an old axle end and grab a spare wheel nut. Mount tire, hold hub in hand...........cheap tire balancer. Pick up some modeling clay, 4 sticks for like $2. Don't try for perfection. If you get it where putting the heavy point at the top takes a few seconds to rotate to the bottom, stop, it's done. Move on to the next tire.

Doing it this way also has the added benefit of being able to spin the tire up before and after balancing to feel the difference. You might be surprised.

Ed M.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:45 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Old 04-01-2010, 09:52 AM
Tech Adept

someone told me you should blow the grease out of the bearings
Old 08-05-2014, 04:40 PM
Tech Initiate

Default 1/10 Adapter doesn't fit bearing

I just purchased the Losi Balancer. As for 1/8 tires, it worked really well out of the box. Thankfully no issues.

However, I also bought the 1/10 SCT adapter to balance smaller wheels/tires. No matter how I tried, the 1/10 adapter didn't fit the bearing provided with the balancer. Is this my mistake for not buying a bearing to match the adapter? Or is it just supposed to work?

Anyone else have this problem? Thanks for your help.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cesarkeller
I just purchased the Losi Balancer. As for 1/8 tires, it worked really well out of the box. Thankfully no issues.

However, I also bought the 1/10 SCT adapter to balance smaller wheels/tires. No matter how I tried, the 1/10 adapter didn't fit the bearing provided with the balancer. Is this my mistake for not buying a bearing to match the adapter? Or is it just supposed to work?

Anyone else have this problem? Thanks for your help.
I got the same one, but mine is for 12mm hexes. It really isnt a hex as it is a 12mm circle that fits perfectly in the hex of the wheel. Been using it for SC, 1/10 buggy and truck wheels for a couple years now.

But when my garage flooded from Sandy, the wife moved the wrong box and left the "good one" to get 6 inches of water in it. I had to replace my bearings as they rusted and damn near locked up. Since then, I probably balanced 100 sets of wheels from 1/10 buggy to 1/8 truggy. No issues.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:56 PM
Tech Addict

The balancer works great for me, some tires are more out of balance then others. Car seems to run a lot smoother with balanced tires. For 1/10th tires I use an old prop balancer I have

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.