Wiki Posts
Search

Truggy Engine Selection - Under $250

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 07:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GulfstreamIVCap
Sorry. I saw the other thread, and it referenced best buggy engine. I figured a truggy would need a bit more power.
actually truggys are geared taller to make up for the weight and larger diameter tires so a good buggy motor is usually a good truggy motor as well. the difference is in the clutch setup, too much clutch in a buggy (heavy springs) or too little clutch in truggy (soft springs) can make a huge difference. too much bottom end torque can be a severe negative in racing as the track washes out some and traction reduces the setup you had in the morning (or even at the beginning of the main) will get sloppy or loose later on. not to mention tire wear mid main also. lots of racers are looking for the huge torque motors in their truggies but sometimes aren't necessarily faster and wear out their drive-line parts prematurely too.

my 2 cents
Old 02-20-2010, 08:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)
Default who cares

who cares if someone asks a question that may have been asked before....does it really freakin matter??? if u dont like it then dont read it and dont post a response....nobody wants to read about u crying cause there are reposts.....grow up
Old 02-20-2010, 08:34 PM
Tech Master

Any of the Alpha Plus motors are more than enough for a truggy. Let me be honest I was using a $60 XTM motor in my MBX5T and driving around and clearing all the jumps big dollar (and I mean $540) motors were. In fact, having a little less power will be easier to drive and you could be possibly faster. You can do well with any of the following:
Eb mods JS engine
Werks B5
Alpha Plus line
Team Orion Alpha
Novarosi line
and there are many more, just some that I personally like.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

bro sorry about the search Nazi's on here.....a Nova P5 is what you want to look at....i think they are around your budget..a ton of bottom....it has been one of the most popular engines for a reason..reliable strong and lasts, very easy to tune as well.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

I've also heard very good things about the O'Donnell SS.21. I'm getting ready to try one out in my truggy.

Steve O'Donnell was an engine guy long before he had complete vehicles, so he definitely knows his stuff. I have no doubt that the SS.21 will be more than enough motor.

Last edited by Stubbs; 02-21-2010 at 07:01 AM. Reason: typo.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I would look at the JS racing engine for around $230. It's a newer motor but reviews have been awesome so far and racers have said they have performed like there $350+ motors. I would also look at the Werks B5 for about $200 and the Novarossi P5 for about $250.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (98%+)

Originally Posted by bcarter007
who cares if someone asks a question that may have been asked before....does it really freakin matter??? if u dont like it then don't read it and don't post a response....nobody wants to read about u crying cause there are reposts.....grow up
+1 on that one Bryce. That's why I love this forum so much more than other forums I visit. Nobody complains about people re-posting stuff, they just reply and help others enjoy the hobby that we all love.

I would say try the V-Spec also. I run one in my buggy but I see a lot of people with them in there truggies to. As for being new and tuning, if you start to race, people at the track are like on this forum always willing to help people out. This hobby is awesome. I learn more every time I go to a race.

P.S. Dude where was the new truggy or buggy last night? lol!!
Old 02-21-2010, 08:10 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default RB C6 LG2

Guys,

Would appreciate some advice on a really good engine for the Xray XT8 truggy. Looking for something under $250 if possible that is easy to break-in, start and tune. This will be my first nitro engine.

In time, I do plan to race...

Thanks in advance for any advice!
I have a C6 turbo with full ceramics and THE pipe to have 2045 w/198p header for $160. You may want to pick up a 192p header to tame the bottom. Some run this in buggys but I found it a bit much. But everyone seems to love it in the heavier truggies.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:19 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default who cares

Originally Posted by trickedout
hey i dont post here much and i really dont like bashing on people or their threads but i thought there were moderators for a reason and when the same post different user gets posted day after day after day they should start deleting... people the motors are out there their the same ones recommended in the 50 other truggy motor, best motor for under 250, etc... i have really started looking at other forums due to the fact that is all i see here anymore ... is there something mods could do to help with the constant "spamming" of motor posts???...ps so that i agree with posting help i recommend the werks b5 , odonnels ss.21 or a novarossi p5xlt or plus-4...thanks!
They are other forms on the net and if you dont like this one stay off it. Every body in this hobby is not a PRO like you and knows every thing about the forum and r/c cars. Pros i like but ones with a attitude make me sick. That is the only thing i hate about this hobby. Start you on Site and when you dont like something you can delete it or just deal with it. It is a public forum and i will ask anything i want to when i want to if you dont like it to damn bad.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)
Default lol

hey tate ya i had to go to supercross last night...but ill have them ready for saturday
Old 02-21-2010, 01:56 PM
Tech Adept

Why go the cheap route spend the extra 100 bucks a get you something worth wild. You have arguably the best built and most expensive car on the market why not put another 100 bucks in a good motor. Enough on that! But I will say you can get a OS vspec (blue cooling head) for about 270- 300. Orion has a great motor for the money and I've seen the Trinity first hand it looks pretty good but I wouldnt but one personally but it might suit your needs.
Old 02-21-2010, 02:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

You all sure know how to get of topic.. Rantin about this being covered a 1000 times etc.. back on topic..

To GulfstreamIVCap I was in your shoes about a month ago and here is the short list I came up with:

Alpha Plus S852 (Orange Head) $209
EB Mods JS .21 $229 Stock $269 Race Prep or $339 Full Mod
Trinity Extech .24 Pre run $265 or $255 if ya wanna break it in yourself.. Looks like they dropped the full mod..
Werks B5 $200
RB Killer 9 $230

I chose the Trinity Extech Full Mod.. It is uber smooth from bottom to top.. I have maybe 1/2 a gallon in it and still super rich on top end, yet I am getting 12+ minutes on 150cc of fuel.. Nice bottom, but not a super screamer on top an excellent choice for shorter club style racing..

My 2nd choice would have been the EB "Full Mod" JS .21.. Edd knows his stuff..

All that said I really like the results everyone is getting from the Alpha plus line of engines. I am thinking of picking up the Red head F850 for my buggy and maybe using it in my truggy on certain tracks..

Good luck with whatever you choose and welcome to the hobby.. It can be alot of fun if you can find a few guys to help show you the ropes.. Especially tuning and break-in on engines.. Chassis set up seems to be a little easier, but just as important..
Old 02-23-2010, 09:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for the reply... I could cough up another 50 bucks if it will really make a huge difference.
check out the alpha plus line of engines. i run them and have had nothing but amazing results.

to order one my buddy jimmy wright at trackstar racer services can help you out. check out trackstarrc.com for details
Old 02-23-2010, 10:05 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Jammin21 or Picco P7 EVO3

had one in my xt8 and it was awesome super reliable never dnfed with that motor...
Old 02-24-2010, 12:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

Guys,

Would appreciate some advice on a really good engine for the Xray XT8 truggy. Looking for something under $250 if possible that is easy to break-in, start and tune. This will be my first nitro engine.

In time, I do plan to race...

Thanks in advance for any advice!
The Sh .28 pro8 is one too fast engine for only 179.00

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.