Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Season New Truggy: Mugen Mbx6t or Losi 8t 2.0

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 06:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

I raced a 8t 2.0 all summer and loved it, however I was not happy with the quality. If you are a racer that that does not maintain your gear on a regular basis than I would suggest the Mugen. It is a much better quality built truggy and requires a lot less to maintain. With that being said it all comes down to what fells better to you. Both are very capable and can win at anytime with the right setup and driver.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

what tools do you have, metric or standard? which has a bigger wall at your lhs?

i think there is an aluminum upgrade for the 2.0 r/p issue, but you have to upgrade the rear hub carriers cause the bearings go bad in them quick. the mugen is another animal all together, you drive the backend and point the front. the losi you drive the front end and point the back. they both have a short list of issues too. have you considered the rc8t-le or ce? it did lap the field (almost) at the nats.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:16 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Back when I used to race Porsches we never had leather interiors! Damn my pit crew for removing my leather!

And it is hard to complain about what the Corvette offers for the money. The ZR-1 is a world beater. Sure I would rather have a Carrera GT, but they cost a bit more.
Old 01-16-2010, 05:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

They are both amazing truggies. I personally drive a losi and couldn't be happier with it. It fits my driving style perfectly and handles everything I can throw at it. It's nimble, stable and tough. I have had virtually zero breakage on my losi's. I have been running the 2.0 truggy since it came out a year ago. In that time I have had 1 R&P go out on me and it was my own fault, because I let the shimming get too loose. If you keep an eye on shimming and keep it nice and tight it doesn't seem to be an issue. You have to keep an eye on diff shimming with any truggy so the losi is really no different. I think losi has some advantages in handling on rough tracks. The long suspension arms and long shocks really soak everything up. Mugen has got the fit and finish down pat. They look absolutely beautiful. As far as quality goes, I really don't see any lack of quality on the losi end. Losi's never break and to me that is the true sign of quality. So I say take your pick. They are both awesome machines and compare very well on the track.
Old 01-16-2010, 06:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I just switched from the AE truggy to losi. Both cars have issues, and dont believe anyone who says the mugen does not have issues. The losi has its fair share, but the idea that smart diffs are needed is bull. Most pros have pulled the smart diffs for the stock ones. I know i did, and i kept the same lap times, with more reliability.

The rear hub bears on the Losi are annoying, i change them for pretty much every race. But the Mugen inner hub bearings go bad as well.

Again, both cars are excellent. The Losi costs a little less in terms of parts vs the Mugen. But neither car really breaks parts.