Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 811 Cobra Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 05:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

They haven't got an approved body list for 1/8th scale buggy on their website and to my knowledge no rule has been put in the rulebook for 2011 banning or even defining what a cab forward body is. Therefore I believe you should be good with anything. You can always send ROAR an email asking for clarification.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:04 PM
Tech Elite

chicky ran the bitty body at the roar nats. so it must be good to race.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default body

thanks guys

1airborne
Old 07-03-2011, 02:12 AM
Tech Champion

Does this buggy have any significant weak points, or requirea lot sof set-up know-how? I'm not a serious racer - more a casual driver at the local tracks for just messing around.. Is this buggy more for serious racers? I want something that I can get a good basic setup on and just run it as is and have it be tough and fast and low-maintenance.. Thanks.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
Does this buggy have any significant weak points, or requirea lot sof set-up know-how? I'm not a serious racer - more a casual driver at the local tracks for just messing around.. Is this buggy more for serious racers? I want something that I can get a good basic setup on and just run it as is and have it be tough and fast and low-maintenance.. Thanks.
It is definitely a tank. In around 7 gallons of practice/racing on my same build/chassis, I have not broken anything really. A wing mount, I think that was it. I've only changed bearings and fluids and kept it clean.

The manual setup is actually pretty neutral, you might be happy with it out of the box, but honestly more or less all 1/8th scale buggies have the same setup features (holes on arms/towers, camber adjustments/length, toe in/out, pivot blocks, etc).

You can actually get a really decent setup by doing the manual setup and just messing around with shock oils and springs (which is very simple to do) and probably be happy with that.

But coming from Losi, Mugen and XRay myself prior, I find the Serpent to be tough as hell and an absolute tank. Although to be completely honest, if the 811 did not exist, I'd be running XRay, I consider the cars very equal in quality and durability.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:54 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
Id say aluminium wingmountposts and aluminium chassibraces, atleast in the rear.
Other than that its fairly bulletproof.

The basic setup works its just that Id probably move up to 400 or 350 oil in the front, and then use the opt 2 steeringrack instead as it makes the car much easier to drive.

Reading through this thread before building your car will also save you alot of problems as the manual isnt really to be trusted. Id also recommend going through the TWF8 review of the truggy as theres alot of great tips there.
Old 07-03-2011, 03:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

hi guys, any one using losi style shoes on the serpent clutch bell + flywheel as they are the cheapest replacement which i can find
Old 07-03-2011, 06:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HuFFy
hi guys, any one using losi style shoes on the serpent clutch bell + flywheel as they are the cheapest replacement which i can find
Please don't compare the costs at amain as they are out of whack on the prices for Serpent parts. I've found the Serpent shoes to be a good value (1.5g with little wear so far) and only $27 at Absolute Hobbies. The Losi ones are $16 a pair so you'll need two packages.

http://www.absolutehobbyz.com/produc...oducts_id=2001
Old 07-03-2011, 08:54 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

The losi springs do work in the serpent flywheel. As for shoes king headz makes a decent set and you can get them with 2 carbon shoes and 2 alum shoes.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mthird
Please don't compare the costs at amain as they are out of whack on the prices for Serpent parts. I've found the Serpent shoes to be a good value (1.5g with little wear so far) and only $27 at Absolute Hobbies. The Losi ones are $16 a pair so you'll need two packages.

Why not get the Ascendnacy Shoes for losi? Around 20.00 for four and last forever!
Old 07-03-2011, 12:06 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Well, Jeremy Cupps and Myself completed a rear end modification to the car this week and were able to test it all day Saturday. I must say it is amazing how well it actually works. It makes the car jump better, plants the rear end on acceleration on landings, and makes the car more predictable.

For a blue groove clay track I do not believe this modification is worth the trouble to make. It does help the car but not enough for your time. I believe this will help tremendously on a rutted out track. This weekend I will be at an RC Pro State series race in Carrollton, Tx and I will be testing it on practice day. This is where I believe it will truly help the car.

Old 07-03-2011, 12:10 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

I believe the losi shoes are a little shorter than the kingz head or serpent shoes!
Old 07-03-2011, 03:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mthird

Yeah Serpent Alum. last for ever!!
Old 07-03-2011, 04:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

[QUOTE=jasoncb;9340023]Well, Jeremy Cupps and Myself completed a rear end modification to the car this week and were able to test it all day Saturday. I must say it is amazing how well it actually works. It makes the car jump better, plants the rear end on acceleration on landings, and makes the car more predictable.

For a blue groove clay track I do not believe this modification is worth the trouble to make. It does help the car but not enough for your time. I believe this will help tremendously on a rutted out track. This weekend I will be at an RC Pro State series race in Carrollton, Tx and I will be testing it on practice day. This is where I believe it will truly help the car.

I will be there also. I am new to serpent and would appreciate any setup help. If you could just ask for Wild Bill. I will be in my room at Mikes. Justlook for the sign on the door that says Man Cave.

thanks Bill
Old 07-03-2011, 05:48 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 19 (95%+)

[QUOTE=1airborne;9340752]
Originally Posted by jasoncb
Well, Jeremy Cupps and Myself completed a rear end modification to the car this week and were able to test it all day Saturday. I must say it is amazing how well it actually works. It makes the car jump better, plants the rear end on acceleration on landings, and makes the car more predictable.

I will be there also. I am new to serpent and would appreciate any setup help. If you could just ask for Wild Bill. I will be in my room at Mikes. Justlook for the sign on the door that says Man Cave.

thanks Bill
man cave... Nice!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.