Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 811 Cobra Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 08:11 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by grizz1
Just like the 808 diffs Jaz, with the addition of an improved one piece bearing spacer. Diff and pinion set up with bearings capturing the drive pins etc.

Download the manual in PDF format from the Serpent web site.
I have a manual Shane, you know how some diffs just need to be shimmed to get the mesh right, and you dont know it needs to be shimmed until after you build it? I hate that!! Thats why I was asking..The 808 diffs were a direct drop in except the active diff, no shimming required..nothing worse than having to take apart the whole diff and clean out all the fluid to shim it..Seems that the Cobra diffs are shimmed during build and thats fine..What are your opinions on the 811 coming from the 808?
Old 05-31-2010, 09:24 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jaz240
I have a manual Shane, you know how some diffs just need to be shimmed to get the mesh right, and you dont know it needs to be shimmed until after you build it? I hate that!! Thats why I was asking..The 808 diffs were a direct drop in except the active diff, no shimming required..nothing worse than having to take apart the whole diff and clean out all the fluid to shim it..Seems that the Cobra diffs are shimmed during build and thats fine..What are your opinions on the 811 coming from the 808?
I am just going on what I have seen in the manuals. I get my kit tomorrow
I always assemble the pinions and bulkheads first, then assemble the diffs dry and check for mesh. Once I have them shimmed right (if required) I fill them and go from there. My 808 needed some shims to move the crown wheel away from the pinion, so I guess each batch can vary a little. The Serpent may well be the same.
The Serpent looks very similar to the 808 in the drive chain department, so the build should be a breeze. Canīt wait to get it together and onto the track. All the early reports are very good for a buggy straight out of the box with the basisc kit set up, just like the Ray was. What I am hoping for is a buggy that performs and lasts like my Ray, but has two years of development and innovation built into it as well. If thatīs the case (and it looks like it is) I will be a very happy lad.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:58 PM
Dal
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I just built the car.
I really dont like the way the ackerman arm ( steering rack option 600173) bolts to the steering uprights ( servo saver set 600128).
It just bolts into plastic on the servo saver set, it reminds me of a cheap ass toy you buy for $200 ready to run.
I noticed that you can not tighten this bolt, as it will bind the steering, so it looks like a wing and a prayer is all that keeps it in place.
Also my instructions say 8mm screws to mount the wing on, no freakin way man, 12 or 15mm definently .
I am very dissapointed with the instructions, they are very vague.

I hope it performs as well as everyone is saying, that would make up for it.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:35 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by grizz1
. I get my kit tomorrow
Hey Shane, looks like we have to wait another day but at least you have only been waiting a few weeks, i've been waiting since Feb so i guess another day wont matter
Old 06-01-2010, 02:46 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by infernotb
Hey Shane, looks like we have to wait another day but at least you have only been waiting a few weeks, i've been waiting since Feb so i guess another day wont matter
Yeah, I only made a last minute decision late last week, so was fortunate to get the last one in this initial shipment.
I feel for ya buddy. Waiting is a bummer. Looks like we will have plenty of time for the build with the current weather we are having anyway. Good winter project.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:31 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

should get my buggy next friday so we will see how it does on an aussie track.

hope it goes well

how long did it take you all up to build.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

are all bearings rubber covered both sides ??
Old 06-01-2010, 07:14 AM
Tech Apprentice

Yes
Old 06-01-2010, 09:07 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

we at tristate hobbies in cincinati, oh got our kit last week. car went together very well. the manual wasnt the best but by no means the worst. it gave you what you needed to know. so by that i cant ask for more. i have to say ive never seen a more free drive train. set up the car with josh's setup and hit the track. i have to say the car had great traction getting on the gas. and its the best jumping car ive ever driven. the stock springs are to light for our track but that is a very small issue. i must say the car is very well built and designed. want to give a big thanks to serpent america. if anyone in the ohio kentucky or indiana are wanting to buy a car, just give us a call
tristate hobbies and raceway 513 889 3954
Old 06-01-2010, 09:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Oh boy.........................
Old 06-01-2010, 12:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 36 (97%+)

i have mine pretty much built now, only to have shit tons of rain here, no practice for me till Thursday at AMS. Everything went together pretty well, a couple little issues here and there, not bad though. Steering is super smooth, no biniding, and pretty much zero slop, love it. I dont see the ackerman plate mounting being a problem, it is all very beefy there. throttle linkage isnt a problem, it is smooth also. The color of the aluminum is awesome, different than all the rest, and slick looking. Wish it had some stiffer springs in the box, but I have some RC8B springs sets that fit pretty well, will use them if needed this weekend.

My lipo stick pack was too long by about 4mm, found that out today, couldnt seem to locate one close by, ordered a protek 2300mah from amain, overnight shipping, that sucked, but oh well..... got a protek lipo for my Eurus at same time.

Receiver box is a little cramped since it is such a low profile. Sway bars are super smooth and a trick setup for sure. I think it should come with all metal locknuts, no plastic ones except for the transponder (the only ones I used) Also should include a fuel lid pull handle.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:30 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by gottahaveit77
I just brought mine home.... Believe me. I purposely put it thru HELL!!! Of coarse that kind of driving was not condusive to my lap times, HOWEVER.....

This car is SOLID!!! I put the car thru some acrabatic shit,15 ft. in the air... Or coming down the straight away fully goosed into a pipe as I'm entering the corner... All in all, I had a fun weekend!!! Broke nothing!!!!

I'm beat!!! Battling all day..
hay
can you put a vid on youtube of you race and talk about it after the race

thanks
Old 06-01-2010, 07:17 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by cluffy1
hay
can you put a vid on youtube of you race and talk about it after the race

thanks
Don't have a YouTube account. Never done that before
Old 06-01-2010, 07:56 PM
Tech Regular

or photobucket or what ever.

i just want to see the car running (that not from the factor) and have you talk about your experience.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:35 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by cluffy1
or photobucket or what ever.

i just want to see the car running (that not from the factor) and have you talk about your experience.
Sir, I'll see what I can do...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.