Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
What is the best way to learn how to tune a nitro truck? >

What is the best way to learn how to tune a nitro truck?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the best way to learn how to tune a nitro truck?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 09:57 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default What is the best way to learn how to tune a nitro truck?

Thanks.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

heres the best place to start: http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...ing-bible.html
Old 11-30-2009, 12:17 PM
Tech Lord

http://vimeo.com/7595905
Old 12-02-2009, 04:32 AM
Tech Addict

This is only for laughs. if I find out you didn't laugh i will be very disappointed!

1. Buy an expensive engine.
2.Borrow some screwdrivers, the bigger the better!
3.Borrow some fuel or use Vodka (cheaper the better)this comes in handy later.
4. Convert the engine to pull start.
5. Use a venom glow ignitor( the one that says the meter does not function)don't worry about the batteries because there only an option.
6.Take wife and kids to the track on a raceday.
7. Tell your kids to go around and meet the other racers.
8. Register to race!!! Tuning these cars is nice but you don't need it to win!
9.Wear golf apparel... this will get you noticed.
10. Be sure to tighten the high speed needle pretty tight. (you don't want this one to come out)
11. Look for a friendly stranger wearing a cape, his name is Joey Platinum...he'll get your car started and give you some advice.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

hahahaha nice Joey
Old 12-02-2009, 07:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

You can learn the basics from the Tuning Bible listed above and videos on youtube. But what will help you the most is actually tuning a motor. The movies and threads will tell you the basics and what to look out for, but will never give you as much info as actually tuning the motor first hand or watching someone first hand giving you pointers alone the way.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:41 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 207 (100%+)

LMFAO! awesome stuff Joey

go talk to the fastguys at your track(the serious racers).......they will get you lined out and show you the ropes, there's always at least one engine guru at every track
Old 12-02-2009, 09:26 AM
Tech Addict

Learn by doing. Start off with cheap engines - then it won't hurt as much when you kill them - which you probably will in the beginning.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:30 AM
Tech Adept

Each engine will have its little quirks, speek with the top guys at your local track who run the same engine as you. Get them to tune it but ask what you need to look for & what they have done to achieve this tune, as this information is priceless. You will now have a good start point & are now at your first stage of learning to tune your own engine. The explanations in the forums & bible are a great guide but hands on cant be beat.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Golf apparel, hahaha.

I've been racing for two years and still learning to tune. It is a fine art. I started with cheaper engines, then as I gained a better understanding, I upgraded to a high end RB. I can get an engine running and keep it running nice and strong, no flame outs. I still occasionally get bogs that I cannot figure out on my own. That's the funny thing about nitro engines. They will run, strong even, with needles that are way off. I would say that 95% of engine problems and premature failures are due to user error, incorrect fuel:air ratio and incorrect balance between the carb needles.

One thing I would suggest is to really make sure you have a grasp of keeping an engine in proper tune. It can be quite deceiving when you have an engine that seems to run really strong, pull hard through the powerband, but dies young all because you had an imbalance in the needles that did not present itself with a lack of performance.

A lot of bad engine reviews are because people have no concept of the proper balance.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:03 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Semple
Golf apparel, hahaha.

I've been racing for two years and still learning to tune. It is a fine art. I started with cheaper engines, then as I gained a better understanding, I upgraded to a high end RB. I can get an engine running and keep it running nice and strong, no flame outs. I still occasionally get bogs that I cannot figure out on my own. That's the funny thing about nitro engines. They will run, strong even, with needles that are way off. I would say that 95% of engine problems and premature failures are due to user error, incorrect fuel:air ratio and incorrect balance between the carb needles.

One thing I would suggest is to really make sure you have a grasp of keeping an engine in proper tune. It can be quite deceiving when you have an engine that seems to run really strong, pull hard through the powerband, but dies young all because you had an imbalance in the needles that did not present itself with a lack of performance.

A lot of bad engine reviews are because people have no concept of the proper balance.

+1 Well said. But it's always easier to blame your tools (engine etc)........