Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Who uses on road engines for off-road racing??? >

Who uses on road engines for off-road racing???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who uses on road engines for off-road racing???

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 09:00 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

On-Road is a blast, they are just fragile little things. Speeds are higher parts are thinner and lighter, so more breaks can happen. But it is definately a fun form of racing, I started in nitro 1/10 on road, switched to 1/8 nitro buggy, but I am going to pick up a EP 1/10 TC to run rcgt with!
Old 10-09-2009, 09:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I ran 1/10 nitro and electric touring cars for a couple years but stopped when I moved because there was no local track to run at. It was ok but the 1/8 on-road are much more intriguing. I am going to pick up another touring car soon because there is a track within a few miles of the house.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I really don't understand people who don't even know that on and off road engines share the same 'design' and jump into conclusions. As for the Q there are some on road engines that are used on GT rally game 1/8 races...which are closer to buggy specs. Also the Q is for those that have tried it and not if it will work or not.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Yes it will work, You can put a 4cyl Yugo engine into a 3500 Dodge Dually too, But you might not like the out come at all. I had a C5 in a 1\8 buggy, couldn't get enough stall to have any bottom end, got a cheap OS RG 21 and it was a lot better engine. Now I run Novarossi's tuned by H.E.S. and wont change foe awhile.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:15 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wingracer
Yes but we also have two speeds to keep the RPM's up in onroad. Also the cars are a bit lighter and we have clutches with insanely high stall speeds that hit like a wrecking ball.
exactly , thank you
Old 10-09-2009, 12:25 PM
Tech Master

Vintage collection:

One year before EC 1/8 buggy 1989 in Denmark, we held an Efra GP. One of the best Danish drivers didn’t have a buggy at that time, so he put on buggy wheels on his OPS powered Serpent 1/8 on-road car.
He TQ’ed because the track was VERY flat. On the straight he only used ½ throttle, so the car didn’t fly away with +120 km/t!
Old 10-09-2009, 01:37 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OfnaJoe
You can put a 4cyl Yugo engine into a 3500 Dodge Dually
Old 10-09-2009, 02:21 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

I had a guy Build me a Cross it was an Onroad Sleeve Rod and Piston with some work done to the Sleeve and he used the Crank out of the Offroad Motor and the Offroad Block. Like you guys said it did not have a lot of Bottom end but you talk about TOP end this thing would WALK THE DOG we have a 120 foot front strait and i could Pull any high dollar motor out there like it was sitting in one place. In one race i passed a guy down the strait and made the turn and over the jump be for he even made it down the Strait after the race he walked over asked what kind of motor is that thing. The motor was Ok i had to run a 053 pipe and a JP1 to help with the bottom end and put stronger Springs in the Clutch but it did work ok me and my engine guy just wonted to try in and see how it would work on a BIG track like i race on.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:30 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Originally Posted by thenova70ss
I had a guy Build me a Cross it was an Onroad Sleeve Rod and Piston with some work done to the Sleeve and he used the Crank out of the Offroad Motor and the Offroad Block. Like you guys said it did not have a lot of Bottom end but you talk about TOP end this thing would WALK THE DOG we have a 120 foot front strait and i could Pull any high dollar motor out there like it was sitting in one place. In one race i passed a guy down the strait and made the turn and over the jump be for he even made it down the Strait after the race he walked over asked what kind of motor is that thing. The motor was Ok i had to run a 053 pipe and a JP1 to help with the bottom end and put stronger Springs in the Clutch but it did work ok me and my engine guy just wonted to try in and see how it would work on a BIG track like i race on.
Sounds like a fun motor for RC Pro Finals. The first year down here they had a 250' straight. People were popping motors. Last year it was maybe only 200'
Old 10-09-2009, 07:45 PM
Tech Champion

Onroad engines? Nawwwwww, this is what we need:

Old 10-09-2009, 07:58 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

DOMIT how did you do in the RC Pro this Year i raced with you in OK and we talked some.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:22 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Originally Posted by thenova70ss
DOMIT how did you do in the RC Pro this Year i raced with you in OK and we talked some.
I sucked... I ended up 17th in points. I had the same situation in Bossier as I did in OKC- had to work Friday, no practice time. (About 5 minutes total) 17th in points doesn't sound too bad... until you realize I beat exactly ONE person in points who ran more than one race.

It takes me a fuel bottle or more to learn a track to the point I can start to pick up speed... so...

Are you coming to the finals? It is like the regional races squared. More people, more fun, and you get to see even MORE amazing driving by the pro guys. I highly recommend it if you can make it.
Old 10-10-2009, 04:28 PM
Tech Master

I was under the impression that the WS7/WS9 is basically an onroad motor? Correct me if I've been misinformed.
Old 10-10-2009, 04:42 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Semple
I was under the impression that the WS7/WS9 is basically an onroad motor? Correct me if I've been misinformed.
Not really. The C5 and C6 are kinda close.
Old 10-10-2009, 04:44 PM
Tech Master

So, what differentiates off-road and on-road motors? Component dimensions?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.