Wiki Posts
Search

how do you guys clean your cars?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 02:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BIG RE
what does the tag body spray achieve other than the smell?
Gets the ladies?
Old 09-23-2009, 02:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 105 (100%+)

Originally Posted by token
Sit right next to a Factory Pro racer, and you best believe he tears his stuff down to the screws EVERY time he finished racing, even at a big race, the pro guys are rebuilding and checking every part of that car before the main.

I have been using the simple green, the bike wash and WD40 with a water hose and compressor for YEARS and I never had a rusted screw, bad bearing or any problems
UUMMM yeah before a main! Wow I would like to see a guy tear his whole car down before every run....sorry but never seen that..Maybe changing parts or setup stuff diff/shocks clutch....Down to the screw sounds like kit form to me. Who does that? At a big race you have time to do a lot of rebuild and inspection so why not??? Im just saying keep it simple dont want to give the topic starter a headache....Anyway the guy is no factory driver. I think he just wants to know a simple descent way to clean his car without being overwhelmed with 1000 ideas. Keep it simple dude!!!!!
Old 09-23-2009, 02:54 PM
Tech Initiate

ha ha yeah, im not a pro by any means. basically i just do this for fun. not really into the whole competition aspect of it becuase i know id loose, because

a) i dont have the money to upgrade or get a whole lotta new stuff

b) even if i did, i dont have the patience to get very good at it ha ha
Old 09-23-2009, 03:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mr. Twister
...I like that over soap or simple green, less toxic to breath as well...
FYI, simple green is non-toxic
Old 09-23-2009, 03:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I take it apart and scrub it with a toothbrush. Then I spray iit with wd-40.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:29 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

i use simple green and a bottle brush in the sink with hot water then i spray off excess water and lubricate. i used liquid wrench last time i cleaned but any penetrating lube will do like tri flow wd-40 or tdl dry lube with teflon it leaves a white residue but its great for using when your gonna run because it is dry so it doesnt attract any excess dust.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by el tater toto
hey all, being somewhat of a noob, i was wondering how you guys clean your cars. ive been using a tooth brush and lots of q-tips. i also tried an air conditioner brush (looks like a paintbrush but with reallly stiff plastic bristles to get in the fins of an air conditioner) and that didnt work very well except to remove grass. i thought of trying carb or brake cleaner but i figured that would also remove alot of the greased and oiled parts. but 20 q-tips and about 45 mins with a toothbrush every day is getting annoying ha ha

I drive 1:8 nitros and 1:5 gassers and they get really filthy from time to time.

All I do is put metholated spirits into a spray bottle with an adjustable nozzle (goes from spraying a mist to concentrated stream) and spay the whole car/truck. The metholated spirits reamoves all oil and dirt residue, it drys quickly due to the alcohol content in it and wont rust your buggy/truck.

Every 5 to 6 tanks I totally strip my vehicle to check for worn parts and give it the once over. I always clean my vehicles and give them a quick check for any damage after every run.

But I find metholated spririts is an easy and quick way of cleaning your car especially if you have been using 2 or 3 of them in the one day.

All the other methods are top rate as well. I'm sure you will take a little from each and work out which is best for you.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:52 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by BIG RE
what does the tag body spray achieve other than the smell?
The Tag body spray when sprayed at the same time as dry silicone spray makes a dry non-stick surface that keeps dirt from sticking and lubes up arms and hinge pins.

Its like a dry wd40 that works better on dusty tracks. I prefere Axe body spray and a little silicone. The Axe is a little more oily.

Try it works good, spray Axe, then spray Silicone over it 50/50.

You'd be surprized what you can build with simple household chemicals!
Old 09-23-2009, 05:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I Pull the Engine and Pipe, the radio tray, (15? screws?) clean it with fantastic spray a variety of brushes, sometimes water, add some compressed air, some wd40 on the bearings, some more air, carfully clean the removed componets the same way, just mindfull of over saturation in sensitive areas.

Spay her down with Lemon/Orange pledge, some more air, thowing a shop towel rub down to avoid spots... A quick shot of nitro clean or denatured alchol to the brakes and clutch shoes...reassemble, make dirty again...

Every three or four race weekends, a more through teardown, clean,inspection takes place..same basic process.

If I work to much I use the "JD " CASE N CLEAN...

Show up with Dirty buggy from last week..
put on track, Find largest Double /Triple jump
Proceed to jump just under the speed to clear chosen obstical, case it..

Inspect chassis for residual dirt and assorted fungi, Repeat as nessesary until a satisfactory level of debrie has been removed...
Old 09-23-2009, 05:25 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fast11970
If I work to much I use the "JD " CASE N CLEAN...

Show up with Dirty buggy from last week..
put on track, Find largest Double /Triple jump
Proceed to jump just under the speed to clear chosen obstical, case it..

Inspect chassis for residual dirt and assorted fungi, Repeat as nessesary until a satisfactory level of debrie has been removed...
I think I like this amazing new incite on how to clean!!!
Old 09-23-2009, 06:07 PM
Tech Addict

Zero Defect saw me doing this at the Augusta Nationals 2 yrs. ago and was blown away. The truth of the matter is usually only the pro's use this method. It was originall being done by hippie man, he could go a whole week without cleaning in some of the enduro cups.If you come to some of our favorite tracks you'll see dozens of empty Tag/Axe cans everywhere.I have been using a pressure washer to wash mine for 4yrs. no problems.Be mindful of where you direct the water and always turn the dam pressure down.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:11 PM
Tech Champion

Yeah I used to knock you 'bout the silicon Axe spray mix.

I sprayed some on the bottom of Tallyrams crocks when he wasn't looking. He couldn't make it up the drivers stand. Kept sliding around.

I use Axe to keep dirt off my tires to. Never going back to wd40.

ps:JP, you got any more Caster Storm Platinum Editions in stock? They looked better that that Fleetwood kit you made.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I would try the "Axe" Thing..But if I come home with any other smeel than nitro an dirt...I am in for a big fight..
Old 09-23-2009, 07:16 PM
Tech Addict

Well absolutely do not eat a can of tuna fish or you may wind up single and have a whole bunch of free time to run your car/s
Old 09-23-2009, 07:21 PM
Tech Champion

No, not that fishy Losi of yours. The Platinum edition Storm.

Drink less, read more.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.