Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 01:37 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

http://www.nitrohouse.com/catalog/pr...ducts_id=12846
Old 10-13-2010, 03:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Hi guys, my JPX flamed out three times last weekend in the exact same place on the track - on the landing of a big jump. This just started recently. What could cause flameouts on hard landings?
Old 10-13-2010, 04:15 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by petevette
Hi guys, my JPX flamed out three times last weekend in the exact same place on the track - on the landing of a big jump. This just started recently. What could cause flameouts on hard landings?
rocks hitting your flywheel
Old 10-13-2010, 05:46 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

are you on power ? or just at idle ? or does it make a difference ?
Old 10-13-2010, 05:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I would look into the flywheel and chassis clearance .
Old 10-13-2010, 08:36 PM
Tech Master

I am not on power and I don't think it is rocks. I don't see any scraping of any kind where the flywheel meets the chassis. Can less then ideal compression cause this? The engine has been a champ, but it has some time on it. The compression feels border line when it is cold. Some folks say the compression is still okay, but others say the compression is low. I think the engine may just be tired.

What do you guys think, can it be a compression thing?

Thanks!!!!!
Old 10-13-2010, 08:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

i bet the flywheel is hitting the dirt, my dad and i had the same problem with our JPX over one big jump on the track so we switched engines and still had the problem and realized it was just hitting the flywheel, if we landed with some throttle it would stay running. so its probably that.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:27 AM
Tech Regular

I am not on power and I don't think it is rocks. I don't see any scraping of any kind where the flywheel meets the chassis. Can less then ideal compression cause this? The engine has been a champ, but it has some time on it. The compression feels border line when it is cold. Some folks say the compression is still okay, but others say the compression is low. I think the engine may just be tired.

Thanks!!!!!
Have you taken it out and ran it around the yard to see if it flames out around the same amount of run time ? If so I would think compression mite be a factor .
Old 10-14-2010, 05:06 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by jmaxey51
i bet the flywheel is hitting the dirt, my dad and i had the same problem with our JPX over one big jump on the track so we switched engines and still had the problem and realized it was just hitting the flywheel, if we landed with some throttle it would stay running. so its probably that.
I had this exact same problem at the GCS race at Augusta. I'll bet my chassis was grounding out on the dirt like you experienced- I just never thought about that. Your smarter than you look Johnathan

Brian
Old 10-14-2010, 08:38 AM
Tech Master

Good input guys. The first two times it happened were during the 5 min qualifiers. I raised the idle a click before the 20 min main an attempt to eliminate a low idle setting. Well 10 minutes into the main and all was good. I thought I was golden. Then with 4 minutes to go it flamed out again.

I am going to try to keep the back of the car from contacting the ground first by bringing down my front end right before landing. If the flameout is caused by clay/rocks hitting the flywheel bringing down the front end should help minimize the risk of it happening again. I am starting to think that the hard landings may have been with the chassis flat or even landing the back of the car first. Lets see what happens this weekend. Thanks guys!
Old 10-14-2010, 01:09 PM
Tech Master

Thanks!!!!!
Check the rod. Even though it's an Italian engine, the rods tend to checkout early.