New glow plug or not to new glow plug?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New glow plug or not to new glow plug?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 02:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default New glow plug or not to new glow plug?

Well just the other week I bought a used Duratrax Raze ST truggy from a friend with .5 gallons on it. I tuned it on Traxxas 20 percent with the stock glow plug, and before I knew it I had 2 quarts down it in 2 weeks Engine was running like a champ, running right around 215-225, running it slightly rich. Well Im tired of buying quarts of high priced Traxxas fuel and I bought a new bottle of Blue Thunder Sport Formula from my buddy for 26 bucks.

After I cleaned my truck up and replaced the fuel tubing on the truck [before the fuel tubing was pretty short, I lengthened it up a lot, if it matters.] and today I went outside to tune it a bit. Engine fired right up, running what seemed to be rich since it was cold, and once I hit around half throttle the engine would die. Like it gave no indication of it being lean, it had plenty smoke coming out, running cold, and would just die quickly. I fired it again and it did the same thing. Im not too worried about this because I think I will reset the carb to stock needle settings.

What I am wondering is if I should put a new glow plug in for the new fuel and new tune. Ive ran on this stock plug for 2 quarts and my buddy before me for another 2 quarts. The bottomside of the plug is kinda golden brown looking. It still heats up and runs fine.

I have a brand new McCoy MC-59 plug still in the package, its the only other glow plug I have, and so do you guys think I should put this new plug in for the upcoming gallon and new tune or just tune it to my old plug?

Im worried that if this plug dies in a handful of tanks that I will throw that McCoy plug in and the tune is gonna be way off. But then again im broke so I dont want a freak plug burning accident to happen and im left without a plug =]

What do you guys think?
Thanks!
Old 07-22-2009, 02:48 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kimixii
Well just the other week I bought a used Duratrax Raze ST truggy from a friend with .5 gallons on it. I tuned it on Traxxas 20 percent with the stock glow plug, and before I knew it I had 2 quarts down it in 2 weeks Engine was running like a champ, running right around 215-225, running it slightly rich. Well Im tired of buying quarts of high priced Traxxas fuel and I bought a new bottle of Blue Thunder Sport Formula from my buddy for 26 bucks.

After I cleaned my truck up and replaced the fuel tubing on the truck [before the fuel tubing was pretty short, I lengthened it up a lot, if it matters.] and today I went outside to tune it a bit. Engine fired right up, running what seemed to be rich since it was cold, and once I hit around half throttle the engine would die. Like it gave no indication of it being lean, it had plenty smoke coming out, running cold, and would just die quickly. I fired it again and it did the same thing. Im not too worried about this because I think I will reset the carb to stock needle settings.

What I am wondering is if I should put a new glow plug in for the new fuel and new tune. Ive ran on this stock plug for 2 quarts and my buddy before me for another 2 quarts. The bottomside of the plug is kinda golden brown looking. It still heats up and runs fine.

I have a brand new McCoy MC-59 plug still in the package, its the only other glow plug I have, and so do you guys think I should put this new plug in for the upcoming gallon and new tune or just tune it to my old plug?

Im worried that if this plug dies in a handful of tanks that I will throw that McCoy plug in and the tune is gonna be way off. But then again im broke so I dont want a freak plug burning accident to happen and im left without a plug =]

What do you guys think?
Thanks!
the mc59 is extremely hot for a big block engine , you run the risk of the filament blowing through the engine . if you can only find mccoy plugs , try a mc8 or mc9 .

monty
Old 07-22-2009, 05:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thats the plug that lots of my buddies use on their Losi 8ight T's when we race for fun, and they run faster with much cooler temps much easier than I can. Of course I just have a supertigre engine when they are all running Losi 427's I believe, but still if they can take it anyone should because they beat the hell outta them truggies lol.

Do you think I should put the new plug in and retune or leave the old in and retune? Id much rather the new plug, honestly myself. Even though I would have to buy a spare or 2 down the road.