Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Is there any way to learn nitro engine modding? >

Is there any way to learn nitro engine modding?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is there any way to learn nitro engine modding?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 05:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Is there any way to learn nitro engine modding?

It seems like an(understandably) black art. I think I'd enjoy it, but there is almost no way to learn about it.

Tools of the trade, where and why to cut, grind, drill out. There are no real explanations of "porting work". It all seems very vague.

Do modders just start out with a dremel tool and grind things away to see what they do? Is it a trial and error process or are there basic guidelines?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:22 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

First step, read this:

http://edj.net/2stroke/jennings/
Old 07-16-2009, 05:25 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Semple
It seems like an(understandably) black art. I think I'd enjoy it, but there is almost no way to learn about it.

Tools of the trade, where and why to cut, grind, drill out. There are no real explanations of "porting work". It all seems very vague.

Do modders just start out with a dremel tool and grind things away to see what they do? Is it a trial and error process or are there basic guidelines?

Thanks in advance.
There are some guidelines and some trial and error. I know how to mod a 3.3 traxxas motor but I'm not doing anything else rite at the moment. ill let the professional take the reins.

Tyler
Old 07-16-2009, 06:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Practice, and lots of destroyed engines. Simple port work isn't too dificuly, but beyond that, it is a science.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:45 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

i would think you would need to go work for a modder and learn..dont sound like something you want to learn on your own.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:47 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
Practice, and lots of destroyed engines. Simple port work isn't too dificuly, but beyond that, it is a science.
Been there before!
Old 07-16-2009, 08:17 PM
Tech Master

I read a lot of the pdf files from that link and decided I'll have to really think about it. Haha.

Like him, math makes my brain hurt.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:48 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

when you get it right , you just get it right

and remember what you did to get it right

you can "calculate" all you want but there is no and i mean no substitute for actual hands on , learn as you go common sense applied tuning. once you get this down then transfer your work into measurements that make sense

good luck ,
monty
Old 07-16-2009, 08:50 PM
Tech Master

I may fiddle around with it on older motors just to see what each modification actually does to the engine.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:51 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

I may fiddle around with it on older motors just to see what each modification actually does to the engine.
just remember , the engine has to be a good running engine before you do anything to it or it is a waste of time . thats one i will give to ya
Old 07-17-2009, 08:49 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Porting

These nitro motors are similar in design to two stroke engines. (IMHO closest to a rotary valve two stoke) Might want to read some two stroke stuff by Gordon Jennings or A. Graham Bell. I've used software to help a little. tsrsoftware.com also their is a program out their called bimotion which is pretty quick in helping figure out duration. Calculator works too. At the minimum you'll need a good set of calipers, measuring tools are a must. Once you start modding timing and duration are calculations that are very helpful. (Yes, blowdown and port area and etc. are important too, duration is a must.) You can get cutting tools at ccspecialtytool.com. Really anything you can cut/grind with will work. If you spend the time to learn all this stuff you can get a good understanding of how porting works. If your learning document what you've done and how it effects the motor. (I.E. raised the main exhaust port .5mm = more RPM at the cost of a little low end and etc.) Their are things you'll have to watch out for, making sure you don't open up a trasfer and it flows into the exhaust port casting and etc. (Working on Nitro engines a lot of times the engine exhaust casting is bigger than the sleeve) To learn all this stuff is going to take a lot of reading and in the end hard work. It can be done though. If your doing it for fun you'll enjoy it. If your doing it to save $100.00.... LOL.. Spend the money. Personally I wouldn't properly mod a motor for somebody for $100.00.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:36 AM
Tech Master

Yeah, just for fun. I have no intentions of starting a business or anything. I like to learn everything I possibly can about the things I enjoy.

Many thanks for the tips.

Edit: I was thinking of just buying a couple piston/sleeve combos for a Go-Tech engine I've got, and going trial and error on them.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:34 AM
Tech Rookie

First I would say do you need a mod? If so what engine how old and what could be done. first you can use a tool like a air plane prop they work really well for load. then blue print the engine in degrees intake ex port case boost transfer timeing #s etc. then what could be done top low end mid etc. fuel and run time is very much a hard fought learning curve. take your time with no guess work. take notes and good luck Sean Smith
Old 07-17-2009, 11:39 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Edit: I was thinking of just buying a couple piston/sleeve combos for a Go-Tech engine I've got, and going trial and error on them.
That's fine except that after the exhaust port, most power gains are found in the crank.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:57 PM
Tech Addict

I have found that engine design is the key to performance, almost anything you do is going to be a trade off.I have seen mx bikes with the transfer ports filled with epoxy... why??? IDK. Probably takes away bottom end grunt and replaces with power in the upper ,,,,or vice versa???? The guys that mod these engines need to know what you are looking for the engine to do before they mod it. I personally am running a v-spec 21 and I can't even begin to think of modding it. Maybe I am not good enough to know the difference, but I really love this hobby and I know the pro's need these modded engines, Very interested in learning this stuff though!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.