vspec or ninja???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

vspec or ninja???

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 05:08 PM
Tech Adept

All the fast guys in my area all have and absolutely love their speeds.they seem to last longer than any other.I guess u get what u pay for..
Old 07-02-2009, 05:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The Speeds run very hard. I have using them for about two years and have even used JX21 parts with the Speed bottom end and they still run hard. Never had any issues with power from bottom to top. I think we have about 4 of them and a Ninja.

Last edited by ezveedub; 07-05-2009 at 03:56 PM.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

here it is. I for some reason can only find it on ebay. I cannot find the AL version any where else. And you can clearly see that the head is not drilled.http://cgi.ebay.com/O.S.-OS-21-VZB-V...09157001r30336

why can't i find this anywhere else?
Old 07-02-2009, 05:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
Uh, yeah it does. It has the same carb that the AL heads have had for over a year now. It's called the 21JS because it has the speed insert set. The worlds and AL are internally the same. Only differences are the drilled head, smaller insert set, and some engraving.

The 21J carbs are the best carbs OS has. They are on all current v-specs, speeds, ninjas and 28xz's.
I meant the 21S carb, I remember seeing a v-spec with that carb, which is hard to reach if you have a buggy. But I cannot find an OS Speed for $400 on ebay, dreaux, can you post a link?

And dreaux, unless you go to the track every weekend, and NOT run in puddles and hit a tree, I dont see how you would need a speed for your application. I was probably half a second faster a lap with my V-Spec than 427. What I am trying to say is a faster engine won't help you very much unless your engine is holding you back, and not your driving.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:23 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I agree with Chris Dreaux..you having a speed is like giving a bazooka to an ant...pretty pointless, get the Nova N21BF for 150$ and learn how to drive and tune..A $500 engine does nothing for you right now except waste $500, in all actuality It may even make you slower if you dont know how to put the power down
Old 07-02-2009, 05:27 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Chris__RC
I meant the 21S carb, I remember seeing a v-spec with that carb, which is hard to reach if you have a buggy. But I cannot find an OS Speed for $400 on ebay, dreaux, can you post a link?

And dreaux, unless you go to the track every weekend, and NOT run in puddles and hit a tree, I dont see how you would need a speed for your application. I was probably half a second faster a lap with my V-Spec than 427. What I am trying to say is a faster engine won't help you very much unless your engine is holding you back, and not your driving.
Oh you are talking about either the 21c carb which was on all standard v-specs before 2008, or the 21h which was on all speeds before 2008. The 21J is the newest OS carb. Idle on the back for convenient access.

Oh, and a smoother engine will certainly help anyone beginner to pro. The speed's have a very smooth linear powerband.

Originally Posted by dreaux
here it is. I for some reason can only find it on ebay. I cannot find the AL version any where else. And you can clearly see that the head is not drilled.http://cgi.ebay.com/O.S.-OS-21-VZB-V...09157001r30336

It's because the WC replaced the AL speed. It's really just an update. If you can find the AL you will have an identical engine internally as the WC for a better price. The one in your link is the earlier AL with the 21h carb. Look for a 13897.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:29 PM
Tech Elite

the thing is chris when i go to the track i drive alot. I might go through a gallon a weekend. So that means i will have to buy a new vspec or P/S about every couple months maybe more. They say, the speed is very durable and last a long time. Also it can't be rebuilt pretty much indefinitley.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:31 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jaz240
I agree with Chris Dreaux..you having a speed is like giving a bazooka to an ant...pretty pointless, get the Nova N21BF for 150$ and learn how to drive and tune..A $500 engine does nothing for you right now except waste $500, in all actuality It may even make you slower if you dont know how to put the power down
Jazz?? huh?? I have been doing very well at the track with my stock vspec. why would i want to go down to a n21bf?
Old 07-02-2009, 05:33 PM
Tech Champion

the thing is chris when i go to the track i drive alot. I might go through a gallon a weekend. So that means i will have to buy a new vspec or P/S about every couple months maybe more. They say, the speed is very durable and last a long time. Also it can't be rebuilt pretty much indefinitley.
If you treat a standard v-spec well, it will last a long time too. The speed WILL last longer, and your right about being rebuilt because of the coated crank. My standard v-spec has 10 gallons on it now running great with plenty of compression. I treated it well, changed rod and bearings at 3 gallons, and ran the snot out of it.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

If you want an engine for its longevity, get the Novarossi N21BF or RB Hobby 9. Like Jazz said, get a slower engine and learn how to drive and tune again. I wish I would have went with a 'calmer' engine like the RB S5 instead of the v-spec at times.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:47 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Jazz?? huh?? I have been doing very well at the track with my stock vspec. why would i want to go down to a n21bf?
I Know Dreaux, its not a step back. even Novarossi's $150 engine is enough for anyone..I just think buying a $500 engine is overkill for you right now, especially putting a gallon a weekend through it..Most of us have practice/backup engines that we abuse and use only the racing mill for racing..its just my opinion, its your money and your buggy get what you want. I haven't steered you wrong yet and I'm not about to start now
Old 07-02-2009, 06:24 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
The ninja and v-spec are both awesome engines. Like already stated, the ninja has a smoother powerband but all the power of a v-spec. They both get about the same runtimes. The ninja WILL last longer because of the coated crank, speed con rod, and better case. You can't go wrong with either of them. Ninja isn't hard to find though. It's out of stock right now, but is there.

http://carolinasrc.com/Webstore/Scri...dproduct=11957
Ya its out of stock there. I usually dont see much in stock at carolinas, not sure why that is. Out of stock at amain too. The ninja engine always runs hard at the track. It is a great engine. Since I purchased the speed engine I am a speed main myself.

the speed has a hole in the con rod for oil passage and it has parralell rings on the piston to trap oil from the fuel to add compression + the chrome plated piston + coated and filled crank + ceramic bearing + a cooling head with 18 holes + better inserts and better crankcase design. It really sounds woth the 500$ Plus it looks absolutley killer! I might have to wait and hold out a week or two and get this puppy!!
The speed is worth the wait.I love my WC II speed. You get what you pay for.

That is last years version. The only difference is the drilled head. That is a smoking deal
Old 07-02-2009, 06:56 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Frank L
Ya its out of stock there. I usually dont see much in stock at carolinas, not sure why that is. Out of stock at amain too. The ninja engine always runs hard at the track. It is a great engine. Since I purchased the speed engine I am a speed main myself.
Simple answer would be the economy. Meaning it is a risk to keep inventory up. That's what I assume atleast.

The speed, ninja and v-spec are all awesome engines!
Old 07-02-2009, 07:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I can Speeds all day long. WC II edition. If anyone wants one, let me know. $430 shippped and fees included. You can never go wrong with any of the motors listed though. Plus longevity really depends on how it is taken care of.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:36 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jaz240
I Know Dreaux, its not a step back. even Novarossi's $150 engine is enough for anyone..I just think buying a $500 engine is overkill for you right now, especially putting a gallon a weekend through it..Most of us have practice/backup engines that we abuse and use only the racing mill for racing..its just my opinion, its your money and your buggy get what you want. I haven't steered you wrong yet and I'm not about to start now

your right jazz. I at times set my endpoints on the throtle so it won't go but a little over half wot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.