Wiki Posts
Search

Pipe Myth Or Pipe Fact

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 06:56 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)
Default Pipe Myth Or Pipe Fact

I have been told that once an engine blows the pipe that's connected to it will cause a different engine to blow due to particles of metal that get back into the engne from the pipe. I can't say I believe this but I blew an engine and then used that same pipe on another engine and within 1-2 gal that engine blew too. Now I am scared to use that pipe at all. Any comments...
Old 05-27-2009, 07:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Frank L
I have been told that once an engine blows the pipe that's connected to it will cause a different engine to blow due to particles of metal that get back into the engne from the pipe. I can't say I believe this but I blew an engine and then used that same pipe on another engine and within 1-2 gal that engine blew too. Now I am scared to use that pipe at all. Any comments...
i would clean it really well before you use it again. the pipe shouldnt really make a diffrence, but it depends on how you "blew" your motor too.

crock pot full of antifreeze and you should be ok
Old 05-27-2009, 07:02 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

clean it with alcohol and you'll be good to go...its actually a wise idea to clean out the inside of the pipe from time to time as the inside will start a build up of carbon and BS that can affect how the pipe performs...but i cant say ive ever heard of the myth you speak of.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:03 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I think you may of just had some bad luck. The pipe only muffles the sound of the exhuast. It doesnt play a part in tuning but if you think out about it could a muffler blow the engine of your 1:1 car ? I think your pipe is still good unless a fellow racer that you keep beating has put a curse on it!
Old 05-27-2009, 07:34 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Madbrad
I think you may of just had some bad luck. The pipe only muffles the sound of the exhuast. It doesnt play a part in tuning but if you think out about it could a muffler blow the engine of your 1:1 car ? I think your pipe is still good unless a fellow racer that you keep beating has put a curse on it!

pipe's are 10000% part of tuning in a motor.....You wouldn't put a low end pipe like a Jp1 on JPX.28 would you....pipe's have different harmonics which respond to some port work better then others......comparing a 1:1 in this sence is Pointless...do our 1:1's run on nitro....are they 2 stroke ?
Old 05-27-2009, 08:27 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Lets call MythBusters
Old 05-27-2009, 08:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jaz240
Lets call MythBusters
lol tru that..

pipe has everything to do with tuneing..but i never heard of this myth
Old 05-27-2009, 08:32 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

pipes continually pulse pressure in/out of the engine . so you really should clean the pipe thoroughly before using on another engine

pipe might be toast also , baffle cone could have came loose

myth not busted

if i toast an engine and particles start running through the pipe , i will not use it on another engine until its clean and even then i pay very close attention to see if the pipe is running out of character
Old 05-27-2009, 11:22 AM
Tech Addict

Its true that carbon deposits, and metal debree from a blown motor can clog the pressure nipple on any pipe. If that pressure nipple gets clogged, you will have bad or low fuel pressure that can cause all kinds of problems. I've had it happen twice in about 5 years of racing. I think some solvent and a good air compressor should fix most pressure nipple issues. If internal baffles break or stingers fold over, thats another story.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:09 PM
Tech Regular

Pipes ARE the actual tuning agent on any engine, in adition to the intake runner, and it doesnt matter the size or scale, in fact the reason its called tunning is because it works with the sound waves produced by the combustion process, you can tune a pipe the same way you tune a musical instrument, its just sound (pulse waves) based. In 4 stroke 1:1 cars intake manifolds and Exhaust headers are tuned using the same principles. ALl the rest you do to an engine is more related to engine "setup" rather than "tunning" if its not sound based. That is the reason its called a "TUNED PIPE" or a Tuned Expansion Chamber.

Yes, any (hard?) particle (even dirt from the tip!)in the pipe can potentially travel back to your engine and scratch the piston/sleeve or get into a bearing or whatever, its unlikely though, just make sure its clean whenever you use it and there should be no probs.

X
Old 05-27-2009, 02:58 PM
Tech Adept

I agree with Maxflo777. It is possible that something can get back in the engine but not very likely. I'd just wash/blow out the pipe and use it if there isn't anything else wrong with it. I've blown many helicopter engines when it crashed at WOT and stripped the main gear and killed the radio and never had a problem reusing the pipe. (well, besides the ones that I broke in crashes)
Old 05-27-2009, 03:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

so other than antifreeze in a crockpot, what are other good ways to thoroughly clean the internals of pipes/headers?
Old 05-27-2009, 03:43 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by unsp0ken
so other than antifreeze in a crockpot, what are other good ways to thoroughly clean the internals of pipes/headers?
other than antifreeze in the crockpot ............. antifreeze in a crock pot

imo , the only real way to thoroughly clean the inside of the acid unless you soak in acid no thanks .

just my opinion
Old 05-27-2009, 03:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

what if a dent gets put into you pipe or manifold???? Is it toast?
Old 05-27-2009, 04:18 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dreaux
what if a dent gets put into you pipe or manifold???? Is it toast?
It depends on how big the dent is Dreaux..small dents can be frozen out..big dents will effect performance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.