Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Something ticking in my drivetrain

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 06:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Sounds like something in the mesh..like a bent tooth or a bur on either the spur or pinion
Old 05-21-2009, 06:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GMS_Racing
Sounds like something in the mesh..like a bent tooth or a bur on either the spur or pinion
Thats definitely what it sounds like. I think the bearings in the front pinion might be going.

Ill check that in the morning. just hope I can get this sorted out by the weekend
Old 05-21-2009, 06:24 PM
Tech Initiate

The reason that a bad bearing my only make noise while accelerating or braking is because those are the times when the drivetrain is under the most stress. As torque goes up during those times, a bad bearing will "distort" (I couldn't figure out a better word to describe it) and change the mesh in that area which will cause the grinding and ticking. Then when you are coasting (or going slow) there is less torque so the bearing is not being "distorted" and the mesh goes back to normal and the noises are gone.

The best way to check you bearings is to remove them one at a time and check the play between the inner sleeve (the part that spins) and the outer sleeve. If there is alot of play then it is toast. Also, spin the bearing and if it sounds or feels gritty then it is probably bad as well.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:42 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Focusprinting
The reason that a bad bearing my only make noise while accelerating or braking is because those are the times when the drivetrain is under the most stress. As torque goes up during those times, a bad bearing will "distort" (I couldn't figure out a better word to describe it) and change the mesh in that area which will cause the grinding and ticking. Then when you are coasting (or going slow) there is less torque so the bearing is not being "distorted" and the mesh goes back to normal and the noises are gone.

The best way to check you bearings is to remove them one at a time and check the play between the inner sleeve (the part that spins) and the outer sleeve. If there is alot of play then it is toast. Also, spin the bearing and if it sounds or feels gritty then it is probably bad as well.
+1 well said, and to the point
Old 05-21-2009, 10:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Sounds to me like something is slipping somewhere in the drivetrain.Seriously as someone posted run the snot out of it for a pack to see if something loosens up or breaks. Worst case you finish off something thats allready broken
Old 05-22-2009, 03:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Focusprinting

Will Do
Originally Posted by Jaz240
+1 well said, and to the point
Originally Posted by HaulinBass
Sounds to me like something is slipping somewhere in the drivetrain.Seriously as someone posted run the snot out of it for a pack to see if something loosens up or breaks. Worst case you finish off something thats allready broken
I tried that. nothing changed