Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I have to rant listen if you like

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 05:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

thanx guys. I know what the problem is i think. After waterloging my engine, i took the back plate and head of the engine and took of the carburator. I flushed it all with a shitload of wd40. after i flushed it with nitro, i put a shitload of afterrun oil. That is why is was running so groggy today. So when i got done today i took off the air filter, and glow plug. I filled the engine with fuel through the carb and put it on my starter box and blew gas through there a couple times. Also should i use a carb restrictor??? If so which one?
Old 05-04-2009, 05:36 PM
Tech Elite

My point is i realize i put to much oiling agents in my engine yesterday. Besides flushing like i did, is there anything else i can do to remove some of the residue of the oils?
Old 05-04-2009, 05:42 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

dreaux...all the problems you are describing sound like an air leak, although an air leak will cause temps to usually rise..they will also cause major problems with idle..Did you crash? Did you check to make sure your engine has enough clearance from the chassis? I know you were screaming your buggy at top speeds up and down the street. If you hit anything or jumped off a curb at high speeds you may have cracked your crankcase, which would cause all kinds of problems. You may also have blown a bearing revving it too high..You need to take the engine out, and send it to an engine guy..he will flux test it, check your bearings and make any repairs as needed. I think $100 and some time, and your engine will be good as new, and better than when you first got it....and Dreaux...............stay out of the damn puddles!!!!
Old 05-04-2009, 05:47 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jaz240
dreaux...all the problems you are describing sound like an air leak, although an air leak will cause temps to usually rise..they will also cause major problems with idle..Did you crash? Did you check to make sure your engine has enough clearance from the chassis? I know you were screaming your buggy at top speeds up and down the street. If you hit anything or jumped off a curb at high speeds you may have cracked your crankcase, which would cause all kinds of problems. You may also have blown a bearing revving it too high..You need to take the engine out, and send it to an engine guy..he will flux test it, check your bearings and make any repairs as needed. I think $100 and some time, and your engine will be good as new, and better than when you first got it....and Dreaux...............stay out of the damn puddles!!!!
jazz, after i ran it through the water, i took it completly apart (not the best idea i ever had) So no doubt if there was a air leak it's coming from either the carburator gasket (most likely if i had to guess), head gasket, or the gasket on the backplate. Did not wreak, engine is of the chassis. So i had to of put it together wrong. I will untighten and retighten. But i am also afraid of tightening it too much.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:48 PM
Tech Elite

oh also, i put new clutch springs in yesterday.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by madmaxx
1/10 yes the other 9 are so high on themselve's it isn't funny

my experience's anyways....
Must be hangin out with the wrong crowd or racers.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dreaux
I guess the only way i can get the temp up is to get a temp gun. Seems like no matter how much i run it i can't get it over 200
LEAN IT OUT!!

turn the top end (gold needle) CLOCKWISE!
Old 05-04-2009, 06:15 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Robert.Hull
LEAN IT OUT!!

turn the top end (gold needle) CLOCKWISE!
i had it damn near one and a half turns. Should i go to one and a eight?? that seems extra lean. but i have never ran totally full out either. do you ever lean it out more then one and a half???
Old 05-04-2009, 06:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default It'll get better

I hope you get through your issues before throwing in the towel or going E-powered. First off I know how it is to have new stuff that your itching to run but can't take to the track because of conditions, but you should not be running your new stuff around water puddles, c'mon man... Is this your first nitro other than the motor with the rod issue?

Where do you live?
Do you live near a track?
Do you know an experienced racer?

Nitro engines aren't as finicky as some think, just that many people don't know how to listen/tune them. Many have their engines running just good enough to get the job done and clean out on top.

I had an experienced 1/8 onroad guy to mentor me a couple years ago when I started and if not would have been in the same boat. You need to put it down till you get some help in tuning.

Read this, with the minimal tuning experience I had I read through this countless times then took my car to the track by myself one day and started figuring it out. Not that I know it all,,,, yet, but this will help you progress once you get the basics. It's long winded but very much needed info.

Good luck and don't give up!!

http://momentum-rc.com/joom/index.ph...tips&Itemid=46
Old 05-04-2009, 06:35 PM
Tech Elite

i know the last 2 days of rain have really messed me up. but i was thinking it dry except for a couple puddles??? Well i found em. I live in louisiana by the way. Please done make fun of me. I can't help where i live. (sarcasm)
Old 05-04-2009, 06:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Do you live near a track or know an experienced racer?
Old 05-04-2009, 06:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

If I understand correctly, your first car is an MBX-6 with an OS V-Spec?

It may have been wise to start with something a little less full-blown race set-up.

I also have a suggestion. If you can turn your flywheel that easily, check to see if the clutch nut has loosened, allowing the flywheel to spin on the crank shaft and not turn the engine over at all.

Probably not your problem, but if the flywheel is THAT easy to turn, that would be a possibility.

Don't give up, and find your local track and just show up. If you have problems, people will assist you. The most experienced racers at the track are often selfless and seem to enjoy helping people and seeing them be able to turn laps at least as much as they enjoy turning laps themselves. These are the racers you want to befriend. They know that the more people they offer their experience, help and suggestions to, the more people will stick with the hobby and the more it will grow.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:51 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ldp787
Do you live near a track or know an experienced racer?
there is a track near by. been dying to go. Went the past 2 weekends in a row. First time i went my ofna .26 threw a rod (friend let me borrow it) never made it to the track (was tunning in parking lot) went this weekend and it rained and they closed the track. Nothing is working out. But that is because i am impatient.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Dreux.. you need some torque... http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...ce-engine.html

OK.. so it's a shameless plug, but just in case.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

haha this is funny not because im making fun of you but because i can completely relate. it's such a terrible feeling when you're so anxious to get things done and yet have so many things go wrong. i've definitely been there especially with this hobby. i think that's the reason why i ended up quitting for two years after i had just started, but now i'm back. i've been seeing you creating multiple threads about "bumps" in the road that you've experienced during your build and i know it's frustrating; but definitely understand that this hobby requires a lot of patience, knowledge and a bit of money (but of course it'll only be as expensive as you make it). there's definitely a learning curve to ride to get all the knowledge needed to make things go the way you want them to. so give it some patience, learn as much as you can, and don't jump the gun on quitting the hobby. we all make stupid mistakes out of impatience when we're newbies, but that's how you learn, just like anything. but anyway, this leads us to....

advice #1: please don't drive your rc car through water because rc engine + electronics + water = a lot of bad things that can go wrong. but, this is already after the fact, so yea... lesson learned.

advice #2: utilize reliable resources, especially here on rctech. alot of people here have developed expertise in certain areas, brands, etc. that enjoy helping others. hit up those threads relevant to your build and find those "experts" who are probably more than willing to answer a zillion of your questions. your lhs may be a good resource, but definitely not guaranteed. i myself have had little luck getting support from lhs's without getting charged their high hourly rates. i've had much better luck getting help from people here and at the track. heck, one time, a guy even gave me a full set of tires/wheels (bowties) just so i could keep racing after he noticed my tires were balding lol.

advice #3: right now you're having engine problems, so find an engine guru and ask some questions. fellows like monty houston are very helpful and even offer engine services to other members. one thing monty told me is that "there are a few really key things to understanding the mechanics of nitro engines that just cant be grasped until you f'up a few for yourself".

advice #4: i have to stress this again PATIENCE AND KNOWLEDGE. things will eventually go wrong, things will break, but be PATIENT! and then, use available RESOURCES to gain the KNOWLeDGE that you need to get out of the bad situation.

i know these very general advices that don't necessarily give you direct help but hopefully it helps you in approaching problems you encounter in this hobby. i'd hate to see a fellow newbie like myself quit from being discouraged. the fact that you're stressing about it so much shows that you have passion for the hobby and that's a good thing. but don't let the negatives beat ya down. you've already gone this far, just roll the with the punches. eventually, things will go your way

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.