Wiki Posts
Search

Making your own grease

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 11:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Making your own grease

So I’ve been thinking about making my own grease. Basically from what I read on some high quality rc greases, the two main ingredients are …lithium grease and synthetic oil. So why not mix the two, maybe 4 parts grease and 1 part synthetic oil and maybe mix in a little wd40.

I plan on using this as an all purpose grease which will be used for ball bearings and diff out drives etc.
I just hope this will not eat up the o rings when building shocks
Old 05-03-2009, 08:42 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by omarwashington
So I’ve been thinking about making my own grease. Basically from what I read on some high quality rc greases, the two main ingredients are …lithium grease and synthetic oil. So why not mix the two, maybe 4 parts grease and 1 part synthetic oil and maybe mix in a little wd40.

I plan on using this as an all purpose grease which will be used for ball bearings and diff out drives etc.
It's one of those things, why reinvent something if it already exists? Most of the greases we use for the hobby are specialized for a specific task i.e. green slime for shocks, clear grease for ball diffs, high pressure black grease for thrust bearings, Tamiya Anti-wear grease for out drives and CVD's. It would be impossible to make a grease that works as well as all the specialized greases for their specific purpose. There are other things to consider, one of which you touched on (shock seals). How will your grease effect the parts you put it on. Will it make plastic brittle? Will it eat bearing and shock seals? Your best bet is to stick to the greases that already exsist. The reason people usually make something themself is because it doesn't exsist, or is really expensive. Specific greases fall into neither of these catigories. It's just easier to buy the stuff that already exsists, than trying to reinvent the wheel.

Either way good luck.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:33 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by omarwashington

It might be fun to test with this stuff at practice sessions, but I'd run what I know works on race day. Let us know what you come up with.