Community
Wiki Posts
Search

need help choosing a truggy

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 12:37 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm not excatly sure about eh engine in the CRT X2, but the Macstar engine that came with the RTR CRT was suprizingly good..

The radio and servos are low grade and you'll want to change them out quickly.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

i feel about the same way as you stated it. let me ask one more time though about the hot bodies stadium pro 2 rtr. you guys say to many issues with this new model? correct?
Old 04-01-2009, 12:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John Schafer
I'm not excatly sure about eh engine in the CRT X2, but the Macstar engine that came with the RTR CRT was suprizingly good..

The radio and servos are low grade and you'll want to change them out quickly.
The origional X1 CRT RTR didn't come with the mac star engine. It came with the ofna force .28, which is also a very good RTR engine. I believe that is the same engine that the x2 comes with, just with a different cooling head.

As for the hot bodies, it is nowhere near the same level as the jammin, losi or associated.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:09 PM
Tech Regular

Oh yeah. The only significant change from the original LSP was the 17mm hubs. It needed a lot more work than what was done. The price of the Pro2 is pretty cheap. Stock parts are cheap too. For bashing around the house it'll be ok, but as soon as you put it on a track or start to push it hard, your going to find some problems fast. The engine is just ok. And the radio eqipment is low grade.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:12 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
The origional X1 CRT RTR didn't come with the mac star engine. It came with the ofna force .28, which is also a very good RTR engine. I believe that is the same engine that the x2 comes with, just with a different cooling head.

As for the hot bodies, it is nowhere near the same level as the jammin, losi or associated.
A couple guys around here got the rtr's when they first came out several years ago, and they had "macstar" (renamed Force maybe, idk) engines. Could have been a running change or something.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:47 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by John Schafer
A couple guys around here got the rtr's when they first came out several years ago, and they had "macstar" (renamed Force maybe, idk) engines. Could have been a running change or something.
Well I know the hyper RTR's came with the macstar engine, But I don't think the Jammin's ever did.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I'm a Jammin fan but my opinion is don't buy an rtr. If you can steal the receiver, servo's and engine from what ever you have now and buy a pro x2 crt, at least you will get alot of chassis upgrades and then you can buy the engine, servo's etc. as you can afford it. Several years ago I started out with a RTR. The abbreviations for RTR should read (PITA) PAIN IN THE A$$.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

i thanks you all for your time and opinions! it has all been useful. but now comes the issue i knew i was facing in the first place. my lhs only carries losi and associated and keeps them both fully stocked. but hardly any ofna and no jammin at all.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Kyosho makes good truggies as well. I'd order your car kit from Amainhobbies instead of your LHS, it may take a few days longer, but it's more convenient. Good luck with your future truggie.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:25 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ibmenace
i thanks you all for your time and opinions! it has all been useful. but now comes the issue i knew i was facing in the first place. my lhs only carries losi and associated and keeps them both fully stocked. but hardly any ofna and no jammin at all.
Well then its a no brainier. Losi or associated. I am a Losi guy myself. I used to run only Kyosho, kinda a Kyosho snob like it was the only mfr on the planet, but it was always broken and parts were hard to get and expensive. I dont mind the expensive part but always broken and hard to get parts sucks. My LHS owner made me a smoking deal on a 8ight T that he had sitting in the cabinet for awhile. I went Losi and never looked back. Parts are everywhere and the truck stays together. I pre-ordered the 2.0 and all I can say is what a difference. I am very pleased the 2.0 is better all the way around and parts are almost everywhere give it a month and they will be. In my opinion Losi or associated, I know many racers who love their RC8T. With a big name like Losi or Associated how can you go wrong. But parts support is key, you never know when you are going to break something.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

The CRT X2 is the absolutly the best truggy on the market. I gave up Losi to get mine and wont look back.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:47 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Frank L
Well then its a no brainier. Losi or associated. I am a Losi guy myself. I used to run only Kyosho, kinda a Kyosho snob like it was the only mfr on the planet, but it was always broken and parts were hard to get and expensive. I dont mind the expensive part but always broken and hard to get parts sucks. My LHS owner made me a smoking deal on a 8ight T that he had sitting in the cabinet for awhile. I went Losi and never looked back. Parts are everywhere and the truck stays together. I pre-ordered the 2.0 and all I can say is what a difference. I am very pleased the 2.0 is better all the way around and parts are almost everywhere give it a month and they will be. In my opinion Losi or associated, I know many racers who love their RC8T. With a big name like Losi or Associated how can you go wrong. But parts support is key, you never know when you are going to break something.
+1 what he said. I would take a serious look at the losi 2.0. IMO it is much cheaper in the end to go with a pro kit/roller. You will dump more money into the RTR in the end, and still won't have what you would if you just went with the pro. Plus the 2.0T is THE truggy right now, and I don't see that changing for some time. Associated is ok, but you have to realize that they are made by Thunder Tiger. The stock RTR engine is garbage. I personally saw a conrod snap in one 2 weeks ago. The engine had about 1 gallon on it. Associated's also have stupid problems, like leaky fuel tanks ans just the general Thunder Kitty BS. I'm obviously a losi fan, but for a reason. I have had great experiences with them. They make a great product and stand behind it. Plus as Frank L said parts support is crazy good. Almost every hobby shop on the planet orders from horizon, even if they don't stock all of the parts, they can most likely get them.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

still have not made my mind up! i just have 2 more question to ask i think. but what do you guys say about the associated rc8t rtr, seems sharp but i hate the black shocks and towers look frail. and the new losi 8ight t 2.0, well nuff said but the blue shock towers look cheap also. and would tou guys expect it will have the same servo issues because of the radio tray again?
Old 04-03-2009, 09:03 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by ibmenace
still have not made my mind up! i just have 2 more question to ask i think. but what do you guys say about the associated rc8t rtr, seems sharp but i hate the black shocks and towers look frail. and the new losi 8ight t 2.0, well nuff said but the blue shock towers look cheap also. and would tou guys expect it will have the same servo issues because of the radio tray again?
Not sure which losi you are talking about? The 8T 2.0 has CNC's black annodized towers. It is not yet available in an RTR version(8B 2.0 RTR has blue towers). The T 2.0 is a great truck. If you are willing to get a pro kit/roller, that would be the best thing. There really never were servo problems in any of the losi's. All came from poor setup of the servos/linkages/EPA's, and using crappy servos. The radio tray flex problem has been solved with the 2.0, so it is even more solid now if you set it up correctly.

As for the associated, it looks pretty solid. I hate the plastic shock bodies though. Seems to me that they would wear out pretty quickly, and keep alot of heat in the oil being that they are plastic(insulator). I know the engine is pretty crappy too(thunder tiger pro .28) and the electronics aren't great from what I have heard.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

yes that is correct i did see the blue shock towers on the buggy, and automatily assumed they would also be releasing a truggy version at the same time as that is what a friend told me. and i just took a quick glance at the rc8t, plastic what the heck, that will not work. i would probally buy the rc8t if it had the rc8 buggy shocks. keep in mind i am at this moment mainly looking for rtr and amm trying but finding it hard to stay in or under a $600.00 price range. it is not working out. one has something the other does not. i want the best band for my buck but it looks like i may have to get it by buying used and hope the person is being honest as far as engine life and general solidarity of the truggy. but i have bought alot of vehicles new and like knowing what is going on with it from the very beginning. oh and a guy i know offered me a mugen mbx5t and may be willing to throw in a futaba 4pk. i have never messed with mugen at all. is the parts support out there for this version? and will it run with the more modern and just came out in the last year models?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.