Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Do you clean, or discard dirty air Filter foams? >

Do you clean, or discard dirty air Filter foams?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you clean, or discard dirty air Filter foams?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 09:00 PM
Tech Apprentice

Coleman camping fuel cleans filters like new,they dry quick also. It dosent swell filters like some cleaners,at least my filters never swell. Bel-Ray foam filter oil is excellent,and sticky,get it at motorcycle shops.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:05 PM
Tech Master

cdbias and Hixie know whats up. Motocross stuff is the best.
RC is cheap compared to MX.
Rc engine $400
MX engine rebuild $1000 plus and we still wash our filters instead of replacing.

Oh and motosavers are bad. Everybody in my area killed their engine with filters on.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:20 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The goods right here. http://tkocompetitiondev.com/product...roducts_id=253
Old 03-10-2009, 09:40 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Alan D.
cdbias and Hixie know whats up. Motocross stuff is the best.
RC is cheap compared to MX.
Rc engine $400
MX engine rebuild $1000 plus and we still wash our filters instead of replacing.

Oh and motosavers are bad. Everybody in my area killed their engine with filters on.
Then what is the must have filter. The stock Losi ones seem cheap to me and well I guess the RB or Kyosho type seem ok but who knows. I have read that the proline type is no good either. So what is the guru's choice?
Old 03-10-2009, 09:44 PM
Tech Master

LOSI LOSI LOSI
It actually is pretty darn good. Lots of people run it and they don't own losi cars.
RB is most likely the best but too pricey. Kyosho has probably the best prefilter since it has so much surface area. They only work if your running that style air filter though Great if your running truggy but wont fit in these new buggys.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:52 PM
Tech Prophet

thats why i run a motorsaver filter with the mud cover andhey i barely have to oil or clean it,i know some people said they dont like them but i think they make more power and the engine runs pretty good
Old 03-10-2009, 09:52 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I use Dynamite air filter oil, and I clean em in 3 stages. First I spray em out good with Brake cleaner, or Nitro blast..it takes the oil out, then I wash em good, inside and out with dawn, and if they still look dirty, i will put em in the laundry, then I re-oil using the Plastic bag method, but some people seem to think its not worth it to clean em....$2 foam, versus $300 engine..I've never had any problems cleaning and re-using..I see that some of you guys clean, and some toss..I guess it would all come down to how well you clean them...Alan D..I think I will try your oil and cleaner from the MX shop..that sounds good!!
Old 03-10-2009, 09:55 PM
Tech Master

You will not be disappointed with that stuff my friend.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I clean, re-oil and reuse. What I do is seperate the prefilter and the inner filter. Dump straight simple green on them and scrub them real well in my hands. then I rinse them, dry them with paper towels, let them air dry for a few hours and re-oil them with dynamite or mugen oil(depends what I have at that moment). If you want to keep the re-oiling process cleaner you can put the filters in a zip lock bag, dump some oil in and rub it into the filters. I do this a few times and toss em. If they are really super dirty I just toss em out.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:04 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Timmo
I mean,I don't want
any left over residue from the cleaning product to get into the engine.
If you are talking about the air fitler oil getting into the engine, it wont do any damage.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

i run a filter untill it gets dirty and throw it away, funny some guys have no problem changing out a $6-12 glowplus every three or four runs but a three dollar filter a day thats madness.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:58 AM
Tech Regular

I usaully have a bag of 20 filters at a time and to clean them i use a scoop of ordinary laundry powder in a bucket of hot water. Squeeze the filters a few times in the the bucket and then let them soak for 10-20 minutes. Then squeeze them a bit more and rinse in clean hot water. After that, i throw them in the drier for 20 minutes on hot and they come out like new. Re-oil them and you're good to go!
Old 03-11-2009, 06:54 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by HaulinBass
i run a filter untill it gets dirty and throw it away, funny some guys have no problem changing out a $6-12 glowplus every three or four runs but a three dollar filter a day thats madness.
If I could rebuild a glow plug to save a few bucks I would! It's not like you have a choice with glow plugs.

I have 6 filters, when I take off an old one I toss it in the dirty filter bag. When I get 4 in the bag I do a batch of them. Dawn soap and PJ1 oil for me.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chris__RC
I have been wondering this for a while too. Somewhere I read Adam Drake and on the RB engine website said not to reuse the foams, just get new ones. However, Ive been cleaning with motor spray/nitro cleaner then with dish soap and they are fine.

On a side note, with the Losi preoiled foam filters, what air filter oil do they use? I have Traxxas now, but when I clean the blue stuff out, then put the red traxxas oil in, it looks kinda weird and I dont think it is good for the air filter. I havent ran those yet. Im assuming Dynamite air fitler oil?
yeah, the losi "pre-oiled" foams are a joke. i bought a 4 pack not too long ago and they barely have any oil on them. i used them all once. then i cleaned them all, and sprayed some nice HPI oil on them. much better now
Old 03-11-2009, 07:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

There is no reason to throw them away. Foam air filters can be thoroughly cleaned and re-used many many times. I use the Motorex brand of motorcycle cleaner/oil. If it's good enough for my KTM it's good enough for my R/C cars.

Cleaner

Oil

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.