Wiki Posts
Search

piston/sleeve resizing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 12:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by yeaklet4
so can i hook my motor up to a drill to get it to spin over and maybe loosin up should i just add some aro to make sure there is lube. and also what does ray charge to do his work.
I would be willing to bet if you sent the pistons and sleeves back, or even the whole engines he would probably fix the problem for free. Would be worth emailing him and explaining the situation. He's a well known name and I think he would probably take care of you if he knew about the problem.

I would not recommend using the drill. It did not work for me either. And even if you did get it to work and rebreak it in you'd need a new rod probably very shortly after.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RayA
Dave, I do.and would love to run the .5 crt class if you think enough the regular guys will race.unfortunitly last few times droping in at the track not even a faint smell of nitro.I'm like delta. Raya.
nitro isn't doing so good this year. last time there was 5 crt.5's the dates for nitro are march 8, march 22, and april 12
Old 03-02-2009, 02:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jbrow1
From what I see of people who say they've had bad experiances with getting an engine pinched, generally it's somebody trying to freshen up an engine that has sucked dirt. If it's sucked dirt just a pinch won't do it. You pretty much need new bearings also. At the minimum the bearings need to be pulled out and the whole case washed/cleaned thouroughly before reassembling and running.
I had a new p5x of my own that sucked dirt, enough to wear the crank .005. I did quite a bit of playing around with this one, tried with only a little bit of luck to drill out the crank pin and press a new one in. One weekend was the longest they would hold. I finally put a Go crank in it and it Tq'ed a pro series race in a truggy.
Like Ray said you need to go a tad tighter with one that sucked dirt or is scratched.

Rex
Old 03-02-2009, 03:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default recondirioning-resizing piston and sleeve sets

In reference to the difference between nickle plating and chrome plating, as it apply's to my expereance process & procedure. The ABN sets are with a nickle platted sleeve liner where as the plating is very thin and soft in hardness. These sets the liner wear quicker than the piston. The ABC sets are with a chrome loner where the hardness is greater, especialy on the high end engine models. Hence the piston will wear quicker. Please note when concidering having a ABN set resized to clean up the inner bore the sleeve and be sure the liner is not worn thru. 1 of every 10 sets I see the ABN engine model piston and sleeve set is not salvagable.

22Racer, To elaberate on my comment about going a little more aggressive with resizing an engine that has been contaminated with dirt. When I am required to remove linner scratches with honing , it requires me to remove a tenth or two off the chrome plated liner. This inturn requires me to go a tad heaver on the resizing to confincate for both the liner machining and of course the piston wear.

Davo798, I know our local track has not had a stronge turnout in nitro racing for the indoor season. I will see you guys durring the outdoor season, wearing bells

JBrow1, You are correct on your post. We are on the same page. Thank You!

Yeaklet4, Please review my website http://www.rayaracing.com/

Now time for dinner with my future mrs A he he

This thread has been interesting for me. Thank You

RayA
Old 03-02-2009, 06:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

well ray its been great to get your insite on these issues.anyway when ever you get my sleeve could you give me a update on the condition?this motor is three years old,its been one of the best and most dependable engine i have ever had(close to 7 gallons).when ever i took it apart i did see contaimination on the top of the sleeve(dark coloring).i have ran it for the most part of its life,and then gave the car and all to my brother.what im concerned about is if the it was sucking dirt.the car is still in my care but im trying to show him the ins and outs of nitro.i let him do all the small stuff like filter changes,if it was sucking dirt let me know so i can scald him.i may tell him that anyway just so he checks and double checks.thanks ray,steve britt.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:03 PM
Tech Regular

Default thats awesome

well while i was writing the above post ray was already taking care of me with a update to my email.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default RayA

Steve, Your brother has taken ok care of your old engine. The little caster/synthetic burning at piston top when removed did not reveil any pitting and liner in good condition showing mimimal scratches. Nothing at all you should be worried about.The P&S set cleaned up quit well and presented to be in as good condition as I see of my top ten percent. The sleeve resized 0.0004" smaller than as received a light-medium tightness and is documented on your order form for review apon package arrival. Will re-breakin easy as all my work. Please keep us posted with long term results.

RayA
Old 03-03-2009, 05:22 AM
Tech Regular

thanks ray,good to hear the old girl aint done yet.more sleeves to come.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I have to jump in this thread and give props to Ray. I had a VZ-B 21 VSPEC that in the middle of a series just lost its self. Wouldn't idle right, popping at mid throttle, temps from 200 to 230 and never consistent. I called Ray and talked with him, then sent him the P/S/R assembly. A couple days later , we talked, and he told me of his findings. He went ahead and worked his magic. Later that week. I bench broke in the motor, and from the first sound of burning nitro, you could tell something changed in this little motor.

I brought it to practice night at one of our local tracks. And man-o-man, this motor was the easiest thing I have ever tuned. It held temp at 200, had more power then when it was new. Was smooth and consistent in and out of the corners. I could not believe it.

I bumped up from the b-main the next series race and finished in the top 10 over all in the A class.

Ray -- THANK YOU as you have heard it a million times over. You do some incredible work, and let me say - A MILLION THANK YOUS !! again....
Old 03-04-2009, 09:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default offroaden

Offroading, thanks. I'm happy to.I knew 7 years ago developing a process with absalut accuracy along with improving surface finish conditions is the best method.the racer gets gained perforance along with a less stressful re-breakin,and great new life longevity.I get more repeat customers than anyone in the industry;its win win buisness.and I do honestly enjoy the work/craft.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:16 PM
Tech Adept

Hey ray about how many gallons can you get on a resized engine, i've been thinking about getting it done from the thread it seems that you the man for the job. And the recondition of the button head what is that.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Late Thursday evenning

rawdawgga,
Let the guys on the forum tell you how many gallons that got off P & S sets reconditioned-resized by me. I've seen 2,4, 6 and more ...It depends on all the obvious variables such as ABN verses ABC construction, high end verses low end engine model, how you run and maintain your engine, etcetera. The head button reconditioning service we clean up internal surfaces and remove minimum to moderate pitting.
As for me being "the man for the job". I watch the forums as you can see. There's quite a few guys out there doing good work resizing now....Of course they are more than likely tooled by me. This really isn't rocket science....Just a matter of readings mics well and finding the sweet spot on the sleeve..... I just happen to have a great deal of expereance after 7+ years.

There may be some info on my website you may find helpfull.

RayA
Old 03-05-2009, 09:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Any time I've sent Ray a sleeve, it's came back and put a summers worth of racing in for me. When I put a Ray A pinched P/S in my car I'm every bit as confident with it as I would be a brand new engine.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:47 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

How many times can a sleeve be pinched?
Old 03-06-2009, 09:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RGraves
How many times can a sleeve be pinched?
I heard 4 or 5 times max. Maybe more if you can re-plate it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.