Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Should electric 1/8th scales be allowed to race against nitro 1/8th scales? >

Should electric 1/8th scales be allowed to race against nitro 1/8th scales?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should electric 1/8th scales be allowed to race against nitro 1/8th scales?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 12:00 AM
Tech Adept

Brad Fox beat tiger Woods!? When was this?
Old 02-18-2009, 12:03 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Joaf
Brad Fox beat tiger Woods!? When was this?
um i dont remember the date. it was a prob around end of november i think, i cant say 4 sure,

like i said tho, he did break so
Old 02-18-2009, 12:10 AM
Tech Regular

The more the merrier......4+ means you get your own class. Then get outa my nitro races

we had a guy here at my local track that was whipping everyone with a converted 8ight.I THINK he had 3 laps on us in our 15min main.........at about 12min he let all of that mysterious blue smoke that electronics run on out and then i passed him........crashed cause i was concentrating on the marshals trying to put out the smoke/fire...........finished 3rd.........

electrics are a different breed of racers compared to nitro (generally) and they deserve their own class (when there is enough to justify it) but i like the challenge of trying to beat an electric (although i have yet to win )
Old 02-18-2009, 01:19 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xlgraphicspro
I actually have all my motors tuned properly, so I don't feel electric buggies have an advantage over me.
Trust me, in the hands of a good driver, the electric 1/8 will be quicker. They have a butt load more low end torque and the same, if not more, top end. It's this low end torque that will get the more inexperienced drivers into trouble though.
Old 02-18-2009, 02:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Club racing, run them together and have fun. That's what club racing is for.
Points or trophy races, separate classes.

Anybody saying they are the same b/c a buggy is a buggy is really stretching it.

I also agree with the guys who spend $$$ on engines and stuff to go club race the kids with the mach .26 also are not so good for the hobby. But that's just how it is, but it's not cheating.

Until they have enough numbers to have their own classes I have no problem running with them for club races. More the merrier.
Old 02-18-2009, 02:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xlgraphicspro
as the title states. is it fair to combine these two classes. who has a bigger advantage?

I ask because it has become a topic of discussion at our track.
*slap* no!!
Old 02-18-2009, 02:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

club races - who cares its fun
bigger races - each class has its own rules. have u seen running stock and modified onroad cars together? or monster trucks and truggies?
rules are to give you fair competition

Brushless car have more torque and can have higher maximum speed but are harder to control, especially jumping. If setup properly so they dont overheat, there is no risk of flameouts.They can go 15-20 minutes without battery change so u just cant compare them with nitro. Two different categories end of story.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Oasis
If 3 or more electric buggies or truggies show up they should race in their OWN class..how hard is this to understand..I will say this..I can wheel an RC car..i'm in the process of building an electric truggy (Losi 1.0) I'm going to be using a tecno kit and since the track I race at is only running 15 minute mains..I'll kill the nitro truggies on this track with an electric truggy....I'll still race my nitro truggy because to me it's like cheating using electric against nitros..but I guess not according to most of the electric racers..
3? you'll be hard pressed to find a race director that will run three qualifiers and a main for just 3 cars.

Again, who cares at club racing level. One the race starts no one can tell who is in the lead on the track anyways. Just run your race and have fun. The electrics are in an incubation period right now, they're numbers will come. Think back to when Truggy's started showing up, it took some time but they eventually took off. For those crying about not making the main because the electric guy didn't pit stop, get a f*ckin' life and drive faster than. If you think that's why you didn't make the A-Main you've got some real blame issues.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wallot
club races - who cares its fun
bigger races - each class has its own rules. have u seen running stock and modified onroad cars together? or monster trucks and truggies?
rules are to give you fair competition

Brushless car have more torque and can have higher maximum speed but are harder to control, especially jumping. If setup properly so they dont overheat, there is no risk of flameouts.They can go 15-20 minutes without battery change so u just cant compare them with nitro. Two different categories end of story.
This weekend we had two racing in expert buggy class against the nitro. Speaking of controlling off the jumps, they had to exercise enough control to land the car on the track. They were accelerating so fast out of the turns they were flying well past the down slope and beyond. Great entertainment.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:42 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jbrow1
Club racing, run them together and have fun. That's what club racing is for.
Points or trophy races, separate classes.

Anybody saying they are the same b/c a buggy is a buggy is really stretching it.

I also agree with the guys who spend $$$ on engines and stuff to go club race the kids with the mach .26 also are not so good for the hobby. But that's just how it is, but it's not cheating.

Until they have enough numbers to have their own classes I have no problem running with them for club races. More the merrier.
Point taken, but I think you might have picked the wrong motor for an example. The Losi/Sportwerks .26 is a great motor. It gives up a tiny bit of top end power to my VSPEC, but makes up for it with low RPM torque. The disadvantage is has is fuel mileage.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I dont like the idea of it either. The only way its "fair" is if they are using the Techno set up. I have run against a lot of e-cars and straight motor to spur is an advantage to someone who can drive. For example this 1 guy in the main would have 2 laps on me with his E and I would have 1 on everyone else. BUT when he does run nitro its a whole different story. I cant wait till there is its own class. I run 10th e and dont want a 1/8th e, thats why I bought a buggy for the NITRO.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Been over and over this dow here b/c we have several guys running 1/8-E. For sanctioned races they need to be split. For club racing it's fine to run together. We've come up with a set of rules regarding pit stops, etc. to level the playing field there. Nobody's complaining about it, seems to be good so far.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kyosho Kid
*slap* no!!
*slap* yes!!

Ok. It's obviously become a pissing match, I personally think it's ok for club races to combine the two. I'm curious to see how close we actually are after a 30 main.

But on Point series days, and trophy races, if you can't seperate them, then score their points seperatly. That seems to be the simplest way to get around it untill electric 1/8th is big enough to branch off into it's own class.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I think they ought to be seperated but not because its impossible to beat an electric buggy with a nitro (done it) but because I wanna run both classes

I went to a small indoor race this winter and there wasnt near enough electrics to seperate them so we raced together. I didnt have a problem with it because it was just a club race but at an event you have got to separate the classes.

I think its going to be its own class soon but its going to have to gain a little momentum before its established enough to have enough people to sustain it on its own. Once more people see they can have a 1/8th buggy with unbelievable power that wont flame out on them or require the kind of maintenance a nitro buggy needs there will be a lot of converts. This year will bring some but next winter will probably be where it breaks out and this topic will become irrelevant.

I want to get one. Once you see one in action its hard not to want one. They are flat out faster, cleaner, and once you get past the initial buying part much cheaper to own. Potentially being able to run 2 classes without the need for 2 different sizes of tires and parts or even the need for a pitman is REALLY appealing to me.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I think i got it! the guys that run electric cant tune a nitro , thats why they went electric and want to run with nitro......JK guys

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.