Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losi Smart Diff

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 01:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I drove about an hour on my SD and tore it apart to check it. The grease looked fine considering it's a new diff. When you get a 'new' diff and run it that long the oil is usually pretty greyish. This grease looked slightly used but not by any means bad. I'll run it once more and clean it well and regrease.

I've considered trying Mobil 1 synthetic in this diff. Mobil 1 synthetic is the best grease I've ever used. If you only knew how many greases I've used on my cars that statement would mean a lot. It seams to completely nullify shearing wear. It is a must on outdrive shafts. I'm so picky about it my SD outdrive shafts have mobil 1 and the internals have the losi grease. I could have used the losi grease on all of it. So, I think I'll be trying that grease some time soon. If it doesn't work out then at least I know the lois grease is good.

The only problem I had is that the front bearing popped the rubber seal off and crammed a lot of dirt in it. Sprayed and blew it out then repacked it and it should be fine.

Ben
Old 04-09-2009, 01:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by warpig
I drove about an hour on my SD and tore it apart to check it. The grease looked fine considering it's a new diff. When you get a 'new' diff and run it that long the oil is usually pretty greyish. This grease looked slightly used but not by any means bad. I'll run it once more and clean it well and regrease.

I've considered trying Mobil 1 synthetic in this diff. Mobil 1 synthetic is the best grease I've ever used. If you only knew how many greases I've used on my cars that statement would mean a lot. It seams to completely nullify shearing wear. It is a must on outdrive shafts. I'm so picky about it my SD outdrive shafts have mobil 1 and the internals have the losi grease. I could have used the losi grease on all of it. So, I think I'll be trying that grease some time soon. If it doesn't work out then at least I know the lois grease is good.

The only problem I had is that the front bearing popped the rubber seal off and crammed a lot of dirt in it. Sprayed and blew it out then repacked it and it should be fine.

Ben
Let us know how the mobile 1 goes. I have been thinking about trying it myself. I love the mobile 1 red on outdrives and ring/pinion.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

what are you guys using to clean the grease off the gears???

i have another weekend to run on mine b4 it needs cleaned so i wanted to know the best way to clean it
Old 04-09-2009, 01:41 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by losi_racer
what are you guys using to clean the grease off the gears???

i have another weekend to run on mine b4 it needs cleaned so i wanted to know the best way to clean it
This and a jar of naptha
http://carolinasrc.com/Webstore/Scri...idproduct=4227

It is really just a tea ball.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:03 PM
Tech Adept

I have tried the Mobil 1 synth grease and it does not work as well as the losi grease. The Losi grease is tackier and stays in the diff longer. The Mobil 1 just expelled itself outside of the diff. Just my experience.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:14 PM
TIX
Tech Master

yes i have checked the greese in mine
but imo less grease would let go quicker and wouldn't cause my problem.

i need the dif to unlock quicker and take longer to lock. do i need to go to a higher spring to get this action
Old 04-09-2009, 05:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TIX
yes i have checked the greese in mine
but imo less grease would let go quicker and wouldn't cause my problem.

i need the dif to unlock quicker and take longer to lock. do i need to go to a higher spring to get this action
if this is your truggy and your on a high bite track you can try 4 .20 springs, if not enough then try 4 .25 springs.

Always use the Losi grease and fill the diff up with grease, just coating the gears isn't enough....
Old 04-09-2009, 11:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SupermaxxRich
if this is your truggy and your on a high bite track you can try 4 .20 springs, if not enough then try 4 .25 springs.

Always use the Losi grease and fill the diff up with grease, just coating the gears isn't enough....
can someone verify this, because ive been reading and hearing the exact opposite
Old 04-10-2009, 01:22 AM
Tech Elite

believe what you want, my info comes from the guy who designed the Smart Diff

Takes a tank or two to free up after a fresh rebuild but the diff is solid for a gallon after this. I have beat my Smart Diff in my buggy for well over 8 hours of track time and is still working perfectly....
Old 04-10-2009, 02:02 AM
TIX
Tech Master

i know you say to only use losi smart diff grease but it there another type of automotive grease i can use. i have rebuilt my diff and im now out of grease and i cant get any of it here in australia
Old 04-10-2009, 05:09 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SupermaxxRich

I contacted Losi and they said to evenly coat the gears only .

Truhe said after you put the internals in the case to fill only the center with grease .
Old 04-10-2009, 08:31 AM
Tech Adept

So which is is then? I bought one yesterday and the first thing I did was open it up and put more grease in it.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:39 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rc-mike
So which is is then? I bought one yesterday and the first thing I did was open it up and put more grease in it.
you did correctly.

As Truhe stated, fill the centre with grease, not all the way to the top, leave enough room for the gear.

Then every gallon take the top off and refill with grease. Again, my info come straight from the guy who designed the Smart Diff
Old 04-10-2009, 09:44 AM
Tech Adept

Okay then. I'll run it like it is. I put more in it but didn't fill it full.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:48 PM
Tech Adept

Ok, here is my feedback on the smartdiff, I have only tried the center and here is what I have seen. I am a little new to off-road, but have been racing on-road longer than I'd like to admit. I have tried it back to back a number of times in Columbus as well as outdoors this last weekend. While it seems to help increase the low speed steering it seems to lack in transition from High to Low speed, you can really see it at the end of a straight away. Both columbus and akron have 90's at the end of the straight requiring significant braking, with the smart diff I almost always push wide to the wall, with the standard diff this doesn't happen. It's as if the smart diff isn't disengaging fast enough, so I went to the next stiffest spring on the smart diff to get it to disengage quicker, and I get the same result?

After pushing into the tubes at the end of the straight every lap at Akron this weekend, after the race I took it out again and put the center back in, and the car was 100 times better at the end of the straight away. Any low speed steering and forward bite that was lost going back to center diff was undetectable, but the end of the straight was night and day. Both tracks had high bite, maybe this in itself makes the smart diff a bad call? Do you guys think a loose track is better suited? Maybe I need to run the front with it to get to turn with the center installed at the end of a straight?

With everyone talking about cutting and or reducing the number of springs I would think that it would further make the "disengagment" worse?

Thx,

Aaron

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.