Community
Wiki Posts
Search

8ight 2.0 vs 808 vs O'Donnell

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 05:37 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think your best bet is to read thru the threads of cars you're interested in. Contact the companies if you can and get all the info you can grab.

These threads always turn into a pissing match (and it has). Best to avoid it and go with your favorite.

I spent the past month researching my choice. I'm very happy with my purchase.

If you'd like to chat about buggies, throw me a PM. I've now owned two of your choices.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:39 PM
Tech Addict

Owned Losi.. and Xray....

Xray hands down winner in almost every way...! This is just solid race equipment, and you will not be disappointed in any way.

The ODO buggy is yet to be long term tested by real drivers. I've noticed a few drivers working on the rear of the car way to often at my track. Also when sponsored drivers post on these boards you have to understand they are "sponsored" and wont be quick to point out issues with the cars!

The Losi 2.0 will win almost every race this year and next year. They have most of the best and fastest A-team drivers in the world. Dont look at the Pro finals to see what car looks good, but rather look at the sportman class finishers to see what cars really hold up. The 8 2.0 is a good race buggy, but remember they used the same metal and plastic.

Old 10-09-2008, 12:51 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by CarCrazy
Owned Losi.. and Xray....
Xray hands down winner
I own both and personally I agree the 808 is better than the 8ight 1.0 handling wise alot less "nervous" making it a lot more consistant

Originally Posted by CarCrazy
remember they used the same metal and plastic.
apparently Losi have upgraded the drive shalft materials and I've never had a problem with their plastics they wear but they don't break and the funny thing is my 18 month old 8 has about the same amount of slop as my 2 month old 808 except for the akerman bushes

maybe the 8 2.0 will be a little more consistant with the changes they've made who knows yet.

I'm sorry can't comment on the O'donnel as I've never owned 1

Adrian
Old 10-09-2008, 01:13 PM
AE

James,

To say that the The losi car has little to do w/ losi's sucess is a bit obtuse. Obviously the losi car was good enough for Hudy to build off of and he came pretty close. Obviously the RC8 and there engine program has affected AE's finishes, yet the employ 2 of the fastest driver's in the world. Is losi using the same metal and plastic? Last time I checked they weren't.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:39 PM
Tech Addict

Default 808 and losi 8ight

i quite agree what every one seem to say about the 808.
i used to have the rc8 and i still remember the 1st time i met the shop owner who drove and sold parts for the rc8.

he kept insisting the rc8 parts were cheap and readily available , 808 expensive and parts hard to get

this is in uk. after driving the rc8 i realize why! its because the thing broke all the time!
i am like the majority of the folks in the various clubs. enjoy races when the car stays in one piece.
i had the losi 8ight t , and the car was amazing. problem was the parts wore out real quick and thats the majority of the consensus in every club across uk.
AND PARTS were readily available....

personally i think u should go for the 808. handles like losi but built like a brick , just dont hop it up or it will weigh like a brick!

enjoy
Old 10-09-2008, 04:32 PM
Tech Regular

Default thanks for the input

Wow, thanks for all of the great advice. I think I will wait a few weeks to see the 8ight 2.0 in person and then decide.

I am leaning towards the 808 now, but that could change once I see the 2.0

Thanks
Old 10-09-2008, 05:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jpas
Wow, thanks for all of the great advice. I think I will wait a few weeks to see the 8ight 2.0 in person and then decide.

I am leaning towards the 808 now, but that could change once I see the 2.0

Thanks
Man just by the one you love the one that makes you happy. To hell with all the senseless this car is better than that car rhetoric and that is what is. They are all good cars and the one thats the best for you is the one you love. Every car has it's quirks and what make those quirks go away is the love for the ride. You know when performing maintenance isn't a big deal cause you like tinkering with the car. You can't go wrong with any of your choices. Keep in mind if your going to make your descion on "who's fastest, lightest, best materials, best craftmanship". All that Xray mumbo jumbo fit finish best metal. Earned them a bifg fat a$$ kicking at the worlds. Now What!!
Old 10-09-2008, 06:00 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vladconnery
Man just by the one you love the one that makes you happy. To hell with all the senseless this car is better than that car rhetoric and that is what is. They are all good cars and the one thats the best for you is the one you love. Every car has it's quirks and what make those quirks go away is the love for the ride. You know when performing maintenance isn't a big deal cause you like tinkering with the car. You can't go wrong with any of your choices. Keep in mind if your going to make your descion on "who's fastest, lightest, best materials, best craftmanship". All that Xray mumbo jumbo fit finish best metal. Earned them a bifg fat a$$ kicking at the worlds. Now What!!
Thats why I say the worlds dont mean a thing, some companies spend up big on drivers and and do ok... others don't spend as much and get lucky, at the end of the day the average club racer will be just as quick or in my case as slow with any of the top branded cars. Buy the one you can get help with and can get readily available spares. Each car has its own little quirks you are correct and none of them are perfect.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:38 PM
Tech Regular

what about the odonnell buggy? doesnt this rig get any respect? ive seen them at the track and must say its a real nice looking buggy very high quality looking plastics and metals car looked smooth and stable on the track looked like it had plenty of turn in and man is it light. im in the market for a new race toy and was gonna lean on the odonnell car.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:52 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by charly71
what about the odonnell buggy? doesnt this rig get any respect? ive seen them at the track and must say its a real nice looking buggy very high quality looking plastics and metals car looked smooth and stable on the track looked like it had plenty of turn in and man is it light. im in the market for a new race toy and was gonna lean on the odonnell car.
I agree, I was also leaning towards the OD, but I have not seen much feedback. The prices for these have fallen down to $499 and parts are now starting to showup.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Oh for sure, I give the OD Maximum Respekt!!!
Old 10-09-2008, 08:07 PM
Tech Regular

my hobbyshop has em for 530.00 and well amain/carolinas rc/ towerhobbies are 4 main stream carriers of parts for this car and parts are cheap to and from what ive heard the part just dont wear out.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:03 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Dyno Dan
James,

To say that the The losi car has little to do w/ losi's sucess is a bit obtuse. Obviously the losi car was good enough for Hudy to build off of and he came pretty close. Obviously the RC8 and there engine program has affected AE's finishes, yet the employ 2 of the fastest driver's in the world. Is losi using the same metal and plastic? Last time I checked they weren't.
I am not implying Losi only wins because of the drivers, but you have to admit they have a TEAM. I'll say this loud and clear... the Losi 8 was a one of the most innovative buggies ever designed. However it had more than one issue (don't make me list them) and was due for an update. I'm actually happy that Hudy copied the Losi 8 buggy because it was an awesome design. I give props to Losi for setting a new standard in performance. That being said, I also give Xray props for refining a great design and adding innovative features to its new buggy the 808. They are both good cars. AE has super fast drivers also, but we all know sometimes luck plays a part. Tires falling off and glow plugs going bad are all part of racing.

Again after owning both manufacturers,.....
I can say for sure that the metal and plastic on the Xray 808 is just plain better than the Losi 8,.. Period. Now the new 8ight 2.0 could be a different story, however I doubt they actually changed the plastics mix for this buggy. Feel free to prove me wrong, and I hope you can. Also, I better throw in that I've finished every main since the US Nationals,.. and I race almost every week with my 808. The Xray is a proven solid performer against some very steep competition on the west coast.

Also, I'm not sponsored or employed by any RC manufacturer, and have no bias in that way. Can you say the same? What I say here is said because I believe it, and have proven results showing that I'm more consistent and faster with my Xray.

I did see one ODO buggy getting around really well last night...

As mentioned earlier,.. what ever buggy you get I'm sure you will like, just remember to have fun and keep on racin...!
Old 10-10-2008, 12:39 PM
Tech Regular

well im buying one as soon as my ebay funds go through, personaly odonnell taking so long may have hurt some sales but the people that are buying them are getting a REAL race ready buggy and a REAL high quality car thats gonna finish long mains and not have to have parts replaced every week. cant wait for the big bores and carbon towers!!!
Old 10-10-2008, 01:16 PM
Tech Addict

well im buying one as soon as my ebay funds go through, personaly odonnell taking so long may have hurt some sales but the people that are buying them are getting a REAL race ready buggy and a REAL high quality car thats gonna finish long mains and not have to have parts replaced every week. cant wait for the big bores and carbon towers!!!

The O'Donnell is a fantastic car. Makes a lot of buggies look like toys.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.