Wiki Posts
Search

air filters

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 10:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Default air filters

whats the best way to clean air filters i use soap and water but does not get filter oil off and i want to get old oil off
Old 07-16-2008, 11:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I use dish soap, it does a good job of breaking up the oil.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:20 AM
Tech Regular

Well, since it was brought up I've got a couple of questions.

I've learned my lesson about not cleaning air filters often enough (actually I don't clean I replace) and got a motor saver filter. Now I've read that it is a bad idea to wash filters and risk not getting it clean or whatever or even making it worse by washing the dirt all the way through. I totally agree with that myself.

But it seems unnecessary to throw a filter away every time it gets a little dirty. Even the motor saver instructions say to wash it 3 to 4 times and re-oil it before you toss it. So for all of you anal guys that have this down and do it "right" and get 10 gallons out of your piston/sleeve I imagine the best way to clean it is to rinse it from the inside out to force the dirt "back out." Give us some tips like that here too besides what to use to clean it. Seems like a good place to talk about it.

mixedguy - hope you don't mind - if you are asking your original question you may need or want to know this too I would think! What's your method with the soap and water to make sure you get it clean? I'm sure there is dirt in the filters that you can't even see. Sounds dangerous to me to reuse them. How has your luck been?
Old 07-17-2008, 05:30 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fiveoboy01
I use dish soap, it does a good job of breaking up the oil.
+1

ordinary dish soap does a better job of breaking up the oil because they contain more degreasing agents than regular hand soap.

that being said, I give mine a spray with motor spray/electronics cleaner degreaser ~ I often do this during the course of a day at the track, followed by reoiling ~ and then wash them out well with dish soap
Old 07-17-2008, 06:02 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I am assuming you are only using the 1 large filter that fits directly on the housing. Use a second outer filter that fits over top of the 1st now you have a 2 stage filter. 1st stage will collect most of the dust and dirt. Still clean 2nd stage filter every time with dish detergent works great for me too. If you really want to be anal about it get 1 of the nylon outer filter covers they have them at Amain for like 15 bucks. Now you have a 3 stage filtration system with the Nylon outer catching the majority of the dust and dirt. keeping your inner 2 filters cleaner longer. I would definately get the nylon outer if you run in really dust areas they work great and last forever. They don't inhibit airflow either. Well let me retract that last statement any added material is going to inhibit airflow to a degree. However not to the point where there will be a performance issue.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:13 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vladconnery
They don't inhibit airflow either. Well let me retract that last statement any added material is going to inhibit airflow to a degree. However not to the point where there will be a performance issue.
Not that they don't work for their intended purpose...
But anything that that muffles or restricts the airflow, no matter how supposedly minimally, affects the performance of a motor. Adding extra layers, while aiding in the elimination of potential dust entering the motor, requires a different tune-up/tuning settings on motor to acheive desired performance ~ and you can easily get to the point that you stifle a motor's ability to breath, much as in the same sense as guys that never clean a filter and wonder why their motor won't run or stay running.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default Filter cover

Great 3rd stage filter cover.....also shock covers
http://stores.ebay.com/UndergroundRCParts

Neil
Old 07-17-2008, 07:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

i always clean my filters with hot water, simple green and dish soap.. i never clean the inner filter i replace them.. the outers i will clean once and discard. i am using the rb filter setup
Old 07-17-2008, 07:17 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

outerwears Let in the FINE of FINE dust particles...I IMO wasnt too impressed with the filter cover after a good weekend of racing....it let in MORE fine dust then it seeme'd with No cover on.....so for the hassle of tying little knots and fighting to get them on and off....the Outerwears imo isnt worth it....IF you run on a Dust Freee Hard Pack clay....Sure it would be the Item to have....BUt IMO in my dusty dry conditions...the hassle of having to remove it before cleaning or swappin filter's isnt there....as for cleaning the filter's...bjr48 hit the nail right on the head.....If u clean from the inside and push all the dirt to the outside u run a Smaller chance of sucking up a Tiny turd that got left in the filter when cleaning.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

Has anyone used the mini filters from auto parts stores, like vent filters. They look like a car air filter, but are much smaller to fit over vent ports.

Or is the sponge the preferred piece?
Old 07-17-2008, 07:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

K&N style filters are made but most people use the foam style filters. The stock filter on my RC10GT was a K&N style filter with a foam pre filter.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:27 AM
Tech Lord

a K&N WILL NOT filter out the small particles of dirt...they are meant for 1:1 cars....Not Rc.....Dispite the fact seller's market them towards RC...they are Guarenteeed to pop the motor if ran in dusty conditions....just run the stock filter that came with your kit and keep up on the filter cleaning.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:40 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by nsgland
Great 3rd stage filter cover.....also shock covers
http://stores.ebay.com/UndergroundRCParts

Neil
just received one of those. I'm going to give it a try for a third stage. Not sure yet if I'm going to oil the 2nd stage of the motor savers foam. It says that you only do that for dusty conditions. Might trap more but make it harder to clean or make stuff stick to the 3rd layer if I use too much oil?

I'll also have to wait and see about the inside layer. The instructions say you can inspect it and clean it when dirt has penetrated the first 1/8". How can you "see" dirt on a dark gray filter? Will it really be that obvious?

Also have heard many bad things about the K&N. They don't make filters for our hobby. Those are automotive use ONLY. I think since they are so well respected for auto use people assume it would be the ultimate for RC but they did nothing to redesign the breather cap for RC use so do yourself a favor and stay away from them!
Old 07-17-2008, 09:06 AM
Tech Adept

4 new pre-oiled filters for around $7... about a $1.75 each. To me that’s is worth saving my engine that cost $200+.

I replace my filter with a new one each day I take the car out. Use the same filter all day and replace it the next day I run the car.

When thinking about airflow and the simple spongy oiled filter, if you try to clean them your causing dirt to get pushed around and the dirt could work it's way deeper in to the spongy air filter rather then remaining near the outer edge of the filter, then when you use it the dirt is that much closer to getting though the filter. My filters look pretty dirty at the end of the day and I don't see how you could clean the filter so they are just like new. Just some thoughts.

My personal recommendation is to just replace the filter each time you take your car racing or out to play. Your engine will be happier long term for it.

Last edited by Don Duct; 07-17-2008 at 09:33 AM.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:16 PM
Tech Lord

cleaning the filter's does exactly as stated....CLEAN THE FILTER>....if u can see dirt...its not clean...Keep on washing...ive taken the DIRTY or Dirty filter's and they came out BRAND NEW clean....so using a Brand new filter Every time out imo is Overkill.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.