Wiki Posts
Search

air filters

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 04:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wingracer
I use NoToil filter oil and cleaner from the local Honda motorcycle dealer. Best stuff ever made. Traps everything and the cleaner takes everything out with it.
i was going to ask if anyone was using this... its like gods gift to MX ..lol love the stuff
Old 07-21-2008, 07:23 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Yep, a lot of guys use it around here on go karts for dirt oval. I never would have known where to get it if I hadn't taken my mom's Goldwing (yes my mom is a biker, hahahaha) to the Honda dealer for service. Sits right there next to the counter.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:42 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by CarCrazy
Well stated....

You can take one more step to save money, while providing even better protection for your race engines. These thin dry layer outer covers work extreamly well to increase the longevity of the filter foams, and your engines. The reason they work so well is they hold the edges of the foam tighter to the plastic caging, stopping and dirt from working its way in. Also the dry layer stops dirt from sticking to the oiled pre-filter and eliminates caking. I'm a huge fan of these things and have run this brand for years! The outerwaers are ok but they allow to much particulate in and fit too loose to help secure the filter edges. Also they dont last as long as the cheaper ebay brand. The design and material is just better on the ebay ones. Period.

Only found at a couple hobby shops, and on Ebay these cheap re-usable covers just work. Here is where you can find them:
http://stores.ebay.com/UndergroundRCParts

Looks like this:

These are worth every penny, and over a year of racing you can actually save quite a bit of money prolonging the life of those $3.00 filters, and servicing less often. Its not about changing the filter every day, but the time it takes to do that also. These dry layer covers really do work and they are cheap, once you try one you will see what I mean. I seriously have just added them to my toolbox as a necessity and will never run again without them.

I found mine here:
http://stores.ebay.com/UndergroundRCParts

Last edited by Inside_Line; 07-23-2008 at 12:27 PM.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:52 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Do they come in a different color? Green never touches my race cars.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:55 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by wingracer
Do they come in a different color? Green never touches my race cars.
Yes. They come in a few colors. Just check on ebay.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:31 PM
Tech Addict

Ya.. they come in red, blue, fluorescent yellow, green, Orange (the high flow ones), turquoise, black, gun metal, grey, and sliver. They have styles for RC8, Mugen, Proline, RB, Kyosho, Losi, and more. They even have the shock covers that match and fit the Losi & Xray XB808.

The main thing for me is saving the money, and time on maintenance though. I usually bid on the $5.99 auction to save an extra buck vs buy it now. But you can get two of these vs the outerwears for the same price.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:53 AM
Tech Apprentice

I just noticed the ebay dude posted some NEW green Super High-flow racing filter covers up. Anyone try them yet? They come in a two pack for $11.99,... nice and cheap.. I suppose they wont filter as well as the standard one, but for racing purposes I guess more flow matters to some.

Here is the link to the new SUPER FLOW Performance Florescent green ones I found..

http://cgi.ebay.com/Florescent-Green...742.m153.l1262
Old 08-01-2008, 01:38 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

those appear to be the exact same as the other's on his site...whats the diff ?
Old 08-01-2008, 09:59 PM
Tech Addict

The Fluorescent Green ones have a different material that flows better, but with less filtration. They are listed as made from "extra breathable" material. Its cheaper to buy them in the two pack also..

They are listed at $11.99 for two!
http://cgi.ebay.com/Florescent-Green...742.m153.l1262

Old 08-01-2008, 11:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I clean em' with 1:5 simple green/water mixture, and oil em' with K&N oil. K&N Oil may or may not be a good product to use, but I dont really care because I have a ton of it because we use it on the full size racecar
Old 08-03-2008, 01:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I use simple green,dish soap and hotwater to clean my motor savers air filters
Motor savers filters have a mech screen to keep large particles off the foam.
I also have a Honda CR 250 dirt bike, I clean and re-oil it's foam air filter too.
What I'm trying say is that if I can reuse the air filter on my $9,000+ dirt bike
I have no problem reusing the foam filter for my $300 Nova Rossi p5xs engine.
Just my 2cents.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:59 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by bjr48
just received one of those. I'm going to give it a try for a third stage. Not sure yet if I'm going to oil the 2nd stage of the motor savers foam. It says that you only do that for dusty conditions. Might trap more but make it harder to clean or make stuff stick to the 3rd layer if I use too much oil?

I'll also have to wait and see about the inside layer. The instructions say you can inspect it and clean it when dirt has penetrated the first 1/8". How can you "see" dirt on a dark gray filter? Will it really be that obvious?

Also have heard many bad things about the K&N. They don't make filters for our hobby. Those are automotive use ONLY. I think since they are so well respected for auto use people assume it would be the ultimate for RC but they did nothing to redesign the breather cap for RC use so do yourself a favor and stay away from them!
Ya I tried a K&N but I had dirt issues also.

Stick to the foam's...