Community
Wiki Posts
Search

x-ray 808?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 03:04 PM
Tech Initiate

Default x-ray 808?

I have seriously been thinking about selling my losi 8ight and getting a x-ray 808...

If i were to buy this kit, what kinds of things should i buy along with the kit such as spare sparts and stuff like that?
Old 07-11-2008, 03:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

I purchased mine at Airlandhobbies.com, and got it really quick. Most people don't know about Airland, but they have a huge online store! Check to see if they have it in stock. This buggy performs very very well on the track! I also switched from Losi to Xray..... and I'm happy I did!

You dont need any hop-up parts except maybe the engine mounts if you have multiple engines. I would pick up some spare 19x13x4 bearings and the Xray +2 wheel hubs. This buggy needs nothing fancy and rarely breaks, its also the lightest car on the market. + 1 for racing!!
Old 07-11-2008, 03:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Wise choice. I went from a losi to the 808. more stable than the losi by far

buy tires of course. Shock shafts, springs arms front spindles and knuckles. I bought all this stuff, but haven't needed them. I want the aluminum hige pin holders, but that's it.

this is the best car ever!
Old 07-11-2008, 03:42 PM
Tech Initiate

ooo ya i know about airland hobbies the track i race at they have a hobby shop at the track, my main question is what aftermarket parts should i buy to make it perform any better?
Old 07-11-2008, 04:17 PM
Tech Elite

The 808 doesn't need anything. I don't know if there are any parts that will make the car faster. The only thing I would recommend if you run on a really dusty track is some shock socks to keep the oil nice and clean.
Old 07-12-2008, 12:48 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

808 looks pretty sweet
Old 07-12-2008, 01:39 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by revracer222
I have seriously been thinking about selling my losi 8ight and getting a x-ray 808...

If i were to buy this kit, what kinds of things should i buy along with the kit such as spare sparts and stuff like that?

I did the same thing. I raced the 8ight for over 2 hard years, (A great buggy BTW) and picked up the 808 to try. The 808 is a better buggy, for the quality of marital used, ease of maintenance and build, durability (Lack of wear) and how it drives. It is a lot more forgiving of a buggy, and that fine edge between hauling ass and crashing hard isn't nearly as sharp. Plus now that 99% of the parts are becoming easy to find if needed, makes it even a better buggy.

I've change my setup a little to suit my local tracks type, conditions and surfaces. The buggy is very fast out of the box & the stock setup is a good setup to start off with for most US type of track. I would pick up some additional springs (Grey & Blue/Grey front and rear and a 15th bell) for fine tuning. I'm also using those TKO balloon boots on the shocks. They works perfectly and keep the oil very clean.

I haven't broke anything (yet) but I have heard of a few front rod ends breaking from very hard crashes. I would pick up a bulk head, one F & R arm, and some extra bearings. Bearing maintenance is going to be important with the stock one too. A few guys have had trouble with these bearing, but a 1 dollar to replace when they start to feel crunchy its not a big deal. I also have had better luck with Avid clutch bearings vs the stock.(last a little longer)

Oh... one thing I did change when I built it was the brake system. I went with X-Ray's Harden steel pads, with the Avid phenolic disks with Losi springs. There's nothing wrong with the stock brakes, but I was use to this type of setup, and really liked it.

If you do pick up a 808, I'm 99.9% sure you'll like it better. Most of the 808 drivers I know, came from a 8ight, and all like the 808 better. Actually, there are two guys that want to drive mine tonight (after our local club race) too see how fast and forgiving this buggy is..
Old 07-12-2008, 03:30 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Steve Walters
The 808 is a better buggy, for the quality of marital used, ease of maintenance and build, durability (Lack of wear) and how it drives.
Usually I don't pay typos much attention but this one actually made me laugh out loud! I would be really interested in how the 808 has marital use (I know you meant material). And it doesn't even wear out fast

If you don't mind, I am going to borrow your logic for my next purchase. I can just see explaining to my wife about yet another car added to my collection, "But honey, it really has marital use, the guy on the interweb said so!"

Thanks again for the laugh and take care!
Old 07-12-2008, 03:55 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

ahhh yeah, thats what you call a "typo" with a lack of proof reading.....

marital/material, close enough...

Off to go race!!!! C-Ya boyz....
Old 07-12-2008, 07:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

You dont need any aftermarket parts. The only thing I have done is change to a 15t clutch bell. As far as parts, all you really need are bearings. Oh I also changed the 8x14x4 bearings on the diff outdrives to standard 8x16x5's.

Readyroller and Avid have the bearings for a buck. I change the ones on the pinions every 2 races when I do the diffs.

The 808 is very easy to drive.
Old 07-12-2008, 07:52 PM
Tech Initiate

Default 808

rc action magazine was reporting on the 808 and most of their writers thought it was an 8ight when they first saw it. They just believed Losi came out with a radio tray. The other parts and measurements made them believe it was a hopped up 8ight. What are your thoughts? They are getting ready to perform a review of the new 808 and will come out with a more detailed comparison soon. I wonder what the writers will say.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

From what I've heard and seen, the XRAY XB808 is just crazy. Whether they upgraded from the EC or from Losi, they noticed a big difference. One of my friends said that he jumped up 10 places. He's now knocking on the doors of A-Main. The car is fast and stable. The build is also incredible. Many do say it looks like a Losi but which buggy/truggy doesn't look like one another nowadays. But know this, the tolerances, fitting and quality of a Losi isn't as good as XRAY. That's why XRAY is called "The Cadillac of RC". You get what you pay for.

p@dDy
Old 07-13-2008, 02:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

Originally Posted by paddyhong
From what I've heard and seen, the XRAY XB808 is just crazy. Whether they upgraded from the EC or from Losi, they noticed a big difference. One of my friends said that he jumped up 10 places. He's now knocking on the doors of A-Main. The car is fast and stable. The build is also incredible. Many do say it looks like a Losi but which buggy/truggy doesn't look like one another nowadays. But know this, the tolerances, fitting and quality of a Losi isn't as good as XRAY. That's why XRAY is called "The Cadillac of RC". You get what you pay for.

p@dDy
+1
Old 07-13-2008, 02:32 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Relay8039
rc action magazine was reporting on the 808 and most of their writers thought it was an 8ight when they first saw it. They just believed Losi came out with a radio tray. The other parts and measurements made them believe it was a hopped up 8ight. What are your thoughts? They are getting ready to perform a review of the new 808 and will come out with a more detailed comparison soon. I wonder what the writers will say.
Just goes to show how little magazine editors really know about the cars they review.... The probably wouldn't be able to tell a Kyosho from a Jammin either. That is why I don't buy R/C magazines anymore.