Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Already decided but....

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 11:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Good choice I run an RC8 with the go seven port with a dynamite 053, Nice smooth power if anything i would say it runs like a speed vspec(with less power).

If your worried about braking anything Boil both the upper and lower steeriing plate(not the akerman plate) I went with aluminum(gh racing) and honestly Am thinking about going back to the boiled plastic peices to cut weight(or the 7075 AE option).

Try to drive your car as much an as often as possible when you first get it, not only is it fun but you will learn about your car quickly.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

The Factory Team RC8 upper steering plate weighs 0.1 oz. more than the standard plastic plates. You won't feel any difference.

The first run RC8 had strength issues, for sure. They've all been addressed since then and the car's nice and strong now. If you have OFNA and AE support at the local shop, then I'd choose between those two, and I'd definitely pick the RC8 over the Hyper 8.5/9. You'll get a lot more help with setups and tricks with the RC8.
Old 05-27-2008, 03:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

If you're running primarily at Wolcott, IMHO, your choice should be limited to two. The Moo and 8.5. Of these two, I'd be torn. On one hand, the 8.5 is very inexpensive, and as noted in another post, it definitely is the best bang for your buck. But, it is prebuilt, whereas the Moo is the most expensive of the bunch (If you're considering the 5R, that is) but it is a kit. Wolcott is an extremely rough track. One of the reasons why I love it so much. Both of these two choices are tanks and can easily handle the abuse that Wolcott will dish out. Things I have read on several forums, the AE isn't as much at home on a rough track. The next thing to consider is what kind of driver are you? If I understand correct, you're coming from an onroad background? That being said, the Losi might actually be a good fit for you. It is a buggy that doesn't like to be pushed. Slow is fast with it. I think with your previous experience, it would probably go well. But, I also here people having issues (still ) with throttle servos, slop developing quickly (though it has been said that the slop is good for the Losi), and rear diff/bulkhead problems. I rarely here anyone complain of things breaking on the Moo or the 8.5. With the Moo, it does like to be pushed....the harder the better. The 8.5 can be driven any style and excell. My .02, take it all with a grain of salt
Old 05-27-2008, 03:54 PM
Tech Adept

I am slightly biased due to the fact I have a Losi and chose it over the rest. However, when I was deciding I did alot of research(and I don't mean reading forums that are almost always biased) that brought me to the conclusion that AE and Losi where the way to go. I'm not gonna list driver names but I noticed that a whole lot of races where being won by Losi. The funny thing was 75% of the races were being dominated by AE but being won by Losi due to mechanical failures. Therefore, I chose Losi.

You on the other hand don't have part support from your LHS so AE may be the better choice. I don't have LHS part support for my Losi but I have the internet so it's not a big deal to me.

I'm not saying the other brands aren't good cars, just my two cents.

It seems like you already have your heart set on the OFNA. If that is the car you want, get it and make it go fast!
Old 05-27-2008, 04:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

man you guys know how to make this rough, yes I will be running probably only at wolcott.

and I am leaning away from the hyper 8.5 pro, if I go ofna it might be hyper 9.

somethings on the 8.5 pro stand out that I haven't had good experiences with in the past.

but the rc8 is not a good buggy for rough surfaces?

i have a go-tech .21 7 port going in what ever i get so, im sure that will rocket what ever i buy.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:39 PM
Tech Master

I've driven both the 8ight and RC8 on rough tracks. I believe the RC8 is much better in that condition. The 8ight would buck and kick all the time on sharp edged ruts, which drove me insane.

While the RC8 isn't quite as plush as an MBX5R, it's still very driveable in the rough and much quicker through corners.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:11 PM
Tech Adept

Like I said before,"most opinions are biased."
Old 06-04-2008, 11:32 AM
Tech Master

its over, I bought one.

Hyper 8.5 pro...

with novarossi 821 modified engine, jp 4 jamming pipe, and painted body, all new....

at least this nonsense is over.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:37 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by rcrevolution
its over, I bought one.

Hyper 8.5 pro...

with novarossi 821 modified engine, jp 4 jamming pipe, and painted body, all new....

at least this nonsense is over.

Thats a good choice I think you will like it. If there is anything I can help you out with let me know.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:21 PM
Tech Master

you have an AIM screen name or something? a quick means of comunicating.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:15 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Sorry to have my onroad self intrude in this offroad forum but I've been reading up since I'm thinking of doing some offroad racing in the near future and thought I would point something out from an onroad perspective.

You have to take results from big races with a grain of salt. First of all, some companies throw hordes of cash around to get all the good drivers (Kyosho comes to mind) while others (Mugen) just find one or two really good drivers to run their stuff. If you look at onroad here in the states Mugen has Swauger and that's about it. If you look at some race results you would see Kyosho's all over the place with Mike's lone Mugen at the top, hahaha.

Secondly, just because an all time ace can get the most out of a car doesn't mean Joe Average racer can. Go with what works for you.

As for Ofna, my LHS loves the dozen's of Ofna buggies I have helped sell for them. Everytime someone comes in asking questions about this car or that truck I mention the Ofna as a super bang for the buck car and usually the dude orders one a few days later. I may have never raced one but I have worked on few and I have seen them run. They may be the best value in all of RC.

As for me, if I do go offroad it will be with Mugen. Not because they are the best since I have no way of knowing (but I believe it anyway). I woulg go with Mugen because I know they are an excellent company with excellent engineers (I actually met Sonada a few years back) and with my Mugen onroad connections I know that parts and technical support will be no problem for me.

Just my two cents, I am really getting long winded now.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

They can all win
Old 06-04-2008, 07:25 PM
Tech Regular

Best way to reach me is just pm'ing me on here for now.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:11 PM
Tech Champion

I'd go with the RC8. AE seems to have the hot hand at my track lately.

I think of the RC8 as an improved less radical version of the Losi 8. This car is plenty durable it just had/has some bugs that needed worked out. Get the service pack from AE and a new fuel tank and your set.

I can only comment on the RC8,8, and the Mugen. Though I did own an Ofna speed 9.5 ( I'll never go Ofna, Hao Bo every again. Beginner junk! Can't find parts. The Ofna was just sloppy.) I'm so biased against Ofna/Hao bo that I'll refrain from commenting more.

The 8ight is the fastest car I've seen yet. But only marginally faster than the RC8. The RC8 runs just as well and is more consistant. Thats why they're winning here. The 8 is a maintenance nightmare but parts are cheap. The 8ight is also the best for electric conversions I've seen.

The Rc8 can be settled down so it deosn't bounce around like the 8. The Silver state set-up makes a huge difference to the way the car jumps and handles the rough stuff. The RC8 is the lightest, smallest feeling nitro buggy I've driven. It lands jumps better and handles lighter than the Mugen. (After the silverstate set-up, particularly the #14 pistons with 2 X 1.1mm holes added in the shocks)

The Mugen is a tank. Its totally indestructable. I can't believe what I've seen this buggy go through. It can't turn or jump as well as the RC8. The Mugens brakes aren't nearly as good as what Losi/AE are running. Unless there is an upgrade I haven't seen. (The best brakes I've felt were all fibreglass like rotor material with steel pads. No extra brake pad glued to the steel pad. Both the RC8 and 8 are like this. Every Mugen I've driven had steel rotors and two piece pads.)

I don't judge these cars by "out of the box set-up". Each car has obvious faults that are so easy to fix they're not worth mentioning.

I decided to buy the RC8 recently.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:07 PM
Tech Adept

I enjoy driving my Losi 8ight. Racing the car come easy for me as I use to drive 10th scale electric. Twitchy fast and rail style handleing of this car feels comfortable to me. Parts are very easy to find. These are the two main reasons I picked the 8ight.

Of the issues in the 8ights design... there are a handfull of parts you really should upgrade, but I think most cars are the in the same boat. The car does take quite a beating but I can tell the 8ight does not appear to be as tough as other cars. Your driving style better match what the 8ight has to offer or you may find yourself frustrated. It's fast but not forgiving in driving errors. Though I don't know if this is my driving or the 8ight I found I can make up time on most even after a mistake.

I don't know how other cars react in the air, but I find that I have a lot of control mid air with the 8ight. I can land the most crazy take offs.

I can't speak to the other cars as I have not tried to build or drive them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.