Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
GRP 1/8 scale buggy tires, how does there compound compare? >

GRP 1/8 scale buggy tires, how does there compound compare?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GRP 1/8 scale buggy tires, how does there compound compare?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 01:28 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)
Default GRP 1/8 scale buggy tires, how does there compound compare?

I am looking at purchasing some GRP tires. I wanted to know how does there compound compare (mediums, soft) to say Proline tires?

Also, please post your thoughts on the tread types they have and what they are good for.

Thanks!
Old 01-24-2008, 03:01 PM
Tech Adept

GRP has A and B compounds (soft/med). but I don't know how they compare to for example Pro Line XTR , M2, M3..

Treads are great: Atomic is somewhere between Crime Fighter ans Bow Tie, works os mid-traction surfaces, a bit flatter tread than Pro Lines.

Grip is great for lose dirt, cubic for dust / blue grove, bulldog for hard tracks.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:04 PM
Tech Legend

Can you tell me what compound you are using for a certain type of surface? May help me make my decision easier on which kind to go after.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:16 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I used to run GRP Jollies and Atomics on my buggy and I loved them. I ran the medium compound. They felt hard to the touch, like they would be too hard, but on the track they were great. Hooked up well and lasted forever. That was on a hard packed, loose desert track. My other tire preference on that track was a medium-soft Panther KII, but they wouldn't last nearly as long (just to give you an idea of the track surface).
Old 01-24-2008, 03:37 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Cain
Can you tell me what compound you are using for a certain type of surface? May help me make my decision easier on which kind to go after.

why dont you try the cobra tyres
Old 01-24-2008, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by COBRARACING
why dont you try the cobra tyres
He's not using cobra because he is asking about gp...
Old 01-24-2008, 08:02 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Was just on carolinasrc.com and noticed they are having a sale on all Grp tires and rims!! Sorry, I can't help you on the differences in compounds though.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:16 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Loop&Roll
He's not using cobra because he is asking about gp...
wel said loop& roll maybe we should call you retro as the first 2 cars in your signature are definately classics, as a matter of fact my first car was the jet hopper gotta love that turbo switch. and I also owned a mid se.

still the proud owner of a schumarker cougar 2 and a Losi XX both in running order.

anyway back to GRP. the soft compound would probably compare to a proline M2 1/2 and the medium about 1/2 way between the xtr and M2 compounds.

I would say if your struggling for a tyre and nothing seems to be working then jolly's are a good tyre to have in your pit box.

the atomic is a very good tyre and will work anywhere bowties or crimies normally do.

and the cubics are really good on hard packed blue grooved tracks and supprizingly good on really wet clay surfaces as they dont tend to hold the soil in the treads.

hopr this help you out
Adrian
Old 01-24-2008, 11:42 PM
Tech Regular

From the GRP lineup I like the atomic the most. It's a good all around tire and it has the best carcass shape that wont catch the ruts. The jolly is good for smooth tracks. tire wear is pretty good, should last you quite a few races.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have a set of Atomics in soft compound. They feel good on the car but seem slow on the clock unless the track is really slick.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:20 AM
Tech Legend

Thanks for the info everyone. I was looking hard at the sale going on at carolinasrc which is why I wanted to know more about the tires.

The m3s I have for crimefighters are like mush, so I was concerned that a soft grp would be like that.

If they are more like an m2, then that is great. I'll look into ordering some jollys and atomics.

Was thinking of picking up a grip tire too, but maybe my steppin will cover the same range of use.