Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ONCE YOU GO NITRO YOU NEVER GO BACK....LOL

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 05:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

actually, the exhausts on nitro's ARE silencers, have you ever heard a nitro without the exhaust? it hurts! i crashed my firestorm, and the exhaust header was loose and it fell off. i normally put my finger over the pipe to stop it, but err no pipe? so i pinched the fuel tube, and i had to stand there over the car, all the neigbours curtain twitching to see what the hell that racket was... and about emissions, depending on your fuel, roughly 60-70% of the fuel is methanol, which has very low emissions. so all the enviro-nazis need to make us do is run 16%...
Old 08-18-2007, 06:26 AM
Tech Adept

personaly i think if you wanna race nitro start out with electric you will learn a whole lot about setting up a car cause in a 5min. race there is 0 time to wait for someone else to have bad luck also the 10th scale buggies are smaller twitchy fragile and hard to drive if you can wheel a 2wd. mod buggy around a track and win you can drive anything. then stepping up to the 1/8th scale buggy will be alot easier and the car will seem efortless to drive. me personaly i love nitro but will buy and run a mod truck this winter just for fun and to sharpen the driving skills. brushless only
Old 08-18-2007, 09:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dave Nelson
nitros are fun to drive and watch but im sticking to electrics from now on. also call me old or crazy but im gonna use brushed motors till they stop making them or there are only brushless classes at the races
some just cant hack nitro off road!!!!!!! but good luck with your carpet oval....i just find the carpet track here to be to small with to little turnout, and boring as hell (i tried it and it sucked)!!!!!!!
Old 08-18-2007, 10:29 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by joe of loath
actually, the exhausts on nitro's ARE silencers, have you ever heard a nitro without the exhaust? it hurts!
Yeah, that's exactly how mufflers were invented way back in the late 19th/early 20th century actually.
Old 08-18-2007, 03:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jason Halvorson
some just cant hack nitro off road!!!!!!! but good luck with your carpet oval....i just find the carpet track here to be to small with to little turnout, and boring as hell (i tried it and it sucked)!!!!!!!
We have the opposite thing here in Omaha Nebraska. We have a huge indoor carpet track with great turn outs during the fall and winter season. but when Spring and summer rolls around it all offroad, electric and Nitro.

And Roscoe, I've raced electric buggy and have done quite well in it. but If you really want to master everything Offroad related, you need to drive Gas 1/10th scale truck. The power to weight ratio is greatly off balance, and sometimes the only way to do well is baby it around the track. Now if you can master that, then you can drive anything!
Old 08-18-2007, 03:25 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Nay0k
Yeah, that's exactly how mufflers were invented way back in the late 19th/early 20th century actually.
(Muffle-er) it muffles things? I get it now, here I thought they were invented to spray exhaust on poor people who were waiting for the bus.
Old 08-18-2007, 04:49 PM
Tech Master

Did the carpet oval thing years and years ago. Did the carpet onroad thing with TC's till the cost got out of hand. Did the nitro scale thing for awhile. Fun but expensive with the consumables. About to start running an 8 converted to electric. Startup costs are high, but no worse than starting nitro from scratch. Consumables should be ZERO beyond tires and worn/broken parts, same as nitro. Fun factor should be considerably higher. No worrying about trying to find someone, usually incompetent, to do my pit stops, less crap to drag to the track, alot less cleanup of the car. So, no I won't agree with 'once you go nitro, you never go back'.
Old 08-18-2007, 05:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bushyar15
Started in Electric, not going back anytime soon. The main thing I really like about Nitro is that it takes more than driving skill, takes some engine tuning skill and Lady Luck....

Electric, if you've got the money you can buy the kick-butt set-up, sure you still have to be able to drive, but you don't have to tune!

I like the sound, the smell, the whole deal!
You couldnt be more...WRONG. If you buy the top of the line everything, if you dont set all of your gear right, ESC, motor selection, gearing, quality cells, all in the money in the world will buy you one expensive SLUG.
Old 08-18-2007, 05:51 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by xlgraphicspro
One more thing, I think that racing Nitro has created better friendships at the track with the whole pit stop and working out strategies aspect. Electric is a go-it-alone type of racing.

I have to say my proudest moment from racing is my 2nd place finish in Truggy last year at the ROAR region 8 gas championships. I was a solid 2nd place only half a lap down to the leader 30 minutes into a 45minute A main, That's when my fuel line got cut in half by my spur gear. Luckily my pit guys were ready with Zip ties to hold my fuel line in place and pluged it back into my carb. I only fell a lap down to the leader and still had 3 laps over 3rd place. I was fly'n high and it was due mostly in part to my pit guys who rocked that day.

I also like trying to figure out a way to make fule mileage go as far as possible, because if your able to pit once in a 15 minute main rather than twice, you gain alot of time!
Where do you see electric as go it alone? In the pits, its just a different type of help. Having trouble soldering a joint, there is someone that solders better and faster and shows you the trick. Strategies and set-up relationships are exactly the same in electric.....have a look in the electric on-road forums, you might change your way of thinking.
Old 08-18-2007, 05:57 PM
Tech Master

To all of you dudes that think electric is just plug and play racing, go against someone with a quality brushless modified set-up with lipo....chances are great you will get destroyed. When you are pitting up, the eletric will still be going on lipo. I run against nitros with my BL set-up and after beating them, they tell the truth, that it took them long enough that to get good at nitro, that learning a whole new type of set-up in electrics isnt worth their time; but they have to give electric their props. Now, dont get it twisted, I am going to start racing my R40 because hey, I love NITRO as well.
Old 08-18-2007, 06:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

now i LOVE my xb8 ec and my XT8 to death but my roots are in electric and i hope it makes come back because i went to the track yesterday and just practiced with no rush or noise or " LEAN IT OUT!!!!!!!" being yelled from the drivers stand. it was awesome and made me realize how much fun i used to have at the track but now a days club racing is dead so there is only big races and im so tired of mounting new tires every run and doing complete tear downs of my buggy and truggy every week just for another big race that once i get there im going to be running around like a chicken with my head cutoff becuase the schedule is so tight. lmac out(for all my jim rome fans)

Leon McIntosh
Old 08-18-2007, 06:43 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by xlgraphicspro
(Muffle-er) it muffles things? I get it now, here I thought they were invented to spray exhaust on poor people who were waiting for the bus.
The sad part is that I don't think many people these days would infer that a muffler has something to do with muffling noise actually
Old 08-18-2007, 07:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Way more interested in electric off-road. The cars take more skill to drive, and you can actually talk to people during the weekend. You dont smell like h*ll when you go home, and theres little or no possibility of being seriously injured while turn marshalling. I guess its just two entirely different mindsets that race each. If its not EEXXXXTTTTTRRRRRRREEEMMMEE!!!!!!!!!!! then its just not good enough for some. Putting in a perfect 2wd mod qual is the most satisfying r/c thing Ive ever done.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:36 PM
Tech Apprentice

meh electric is piss squeak easy to drive and especially maintain, especially with brushless these days.

electric, no need to tune engine, no need to worry about clutch, no need to worry about locktite, you dont even use brakes.

nitro is alot harder to finish a long final. many things can go wrong. but in electric you only need to last 5 minutes and if you do stuff up in one final you still get another 2 chances.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Sounds like electric guys are afraid to get dirty when racing "offroad", don't have a team of friends to pit for them, play soccer, have asthma and will likely grow up to be accountants.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.