Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ONCE YOU GO NITRO YOU NEVER GO BACK....LOL

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 03:48 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by AndyMoore
What an ignorant attitude. The majority of the fast gas guys ARE electric guys. Cav, Maifield, Drake, Truhe, Tebo, Halsey, Guest, Pavidis, etc. Some have changed their focus as gas racing has become popular, but they learned to drive with electric vehicles.

SkeeryJones-You obviously CANT drive a 2wd mod.
You forgot Robbers. He made the A main gas buggy in St. Louis. And if you see the new Losi electric truck, the body on the box is his.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:00 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by SkeeryJones
frankly i race both electric and nitro, both are good for vaious reasons. but to say electric is more harder is b.s and ignorant
To say that ANYTHING is 'more harder' is ignorant of the english language. Are you going to yell at me?
Old 08-23-2007, 05:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Kinson are you serious about gas being smaller this year than last in Florida?? Did you attend any of the state series races. They had record turnouts in gas and smaller turnouts in flashlight. It keeps going that way year by year. Hence why the split of gas and electric and going to a 2 day format was brought up many times. It was voted down to keep it the same but it keeps gaining more ground every year.

North Florida may be different and I really can't comment on your area but in South and Central Fl Electric is all but dead except at maybe the Hurricane club in Tampa and even there I'm willing to bet gas outnumbers electric by 4 to 1.

Gas racing is hands down the most popular racing across the USA and world wide like it or not. Howmany entires were at the Gas Buggy Nationals with 1 class this year?? How many at the Flashlight Nats with 6 or 10 classed of whatever 2wd, 4wd, truck, stock, mod, open mod, 19turn blah blah blah?? LOL

NUFF SAID
Old 08-23-2007, 12:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

My first race rig was a RC10gt back in 93, most of the racing was indoors and I didnt like the fumes and mess. Started back up in 01 with electric and raced TC, Pan, Truck, Buggy, MINI, 4WD, 1/12, F201, Rally, ect.

Bought an 1/8 last year and am hooked forever. I will race electric in the winter to get my fix but 1/8 will always be #1. I like the fact that its not so diluted with classes(stock, 19t, mod, masters) that you get some big turnouts and feel like you have done well just to get to the A.

Another aspect that will keep me comming back is the long main. This year I was able to run three mains back to back for a total of 75 minutes of racing. Good times.

Last edited by tomdav; 08-23-2007 at 12:36 PM.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:08 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Nitro vs Electric

HMMMMMM let me see................

NITRO ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!!!!

SOOOO much FUN, SOOOO expensive, SOOOO addictive!!!
But, still:

NITRO ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-27-2007, 05:17 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Jason Halvorson
thats why there starting indoor off road carpet....i rather play in the dirt!!!!!!!!!
...."offroad" carpet?...just as bad as "dirt" offroad where the tracks are so perfectly groomed it doesn't even get your car dirty....dumb
Old 08-27-2007, 07:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Electric racing is a great way for people to get into the hobby, its very simple to get and keep a car going resonably well enough to enjoy it, especially for beginners. Also electric racing classes can be slowed down with slower spec stock motors for racers who can't quite control faster electric or nitro cars. A budget electric car is very simple compared to a budget nitro car. There is certainly a place in the hobby for racing cars with that attribute.

Even if those same electric beginners later move onto nitro racing, thats fine, Nitro is good for people who already have some skills manuevering the faster, more powerful cars around. The additional braking, differential, and engine systems can be confusing, overwhelming, and frustrating for someone that hasn't started out with something easier such as electric cars.

Electric beginner classes are great for experienced nitro racers in the future. Alot of seasoned racers tend to forget that, including the racers that think the future for electric is the 20 minute lipo/brushless electric class. The future of the hobby is simple, budget beginner classes, not expensive, difficult pro classes. So if experienced nitro racers never go back to electric, thats fine, at least you remember where you started.

As far as electric racing being more percise than nitro, thats because the nitro guys don't need to be as percise because the tracks use the same 4" lane barrier pipes as the electric tracks do. 1/8th nitro can just run right over those, where 1/10th can't. The 1/10 scale guys have to stay away from the pipes or they get stuck. Proof is in 1/10th nitro truck, those guys have to be just as precise as electric for the same reason. If 1/8th used a larger barrier that would have a larger penalty for getting stuck on, the 1/8th guys would become more percise as well.

For the Nitro racers that like to call electric r/c cars flashlights, just remember how much you love your battery powered, electric motor driven starter box for your nitro car. Don't forget about the battery powered glow ignitor either. Thats being hypocritical and ignorant. Real electric haters use pull-starts!
Old 08-27-2007, 09:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scrubb

For the Nitro racers that like to call electric r/c cars flashlights, just remember how much you love your battery powered, electric motor driven starter box for your nitro car. Don't forget about the battery powered glow ignitor either. Thats being hypocritical and ignorant. Real electric haters use pull-starts!
You just reminded me that I should pull apart my weed whacker and make my starter box gas powered! No, really electric is essential in both Duh!
Old 08-27-2007, 09:28 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Recent Hurricane RC Race

I just had the good fortune to discover the Hurricane RC track last Sunday in Lake Park.

Great track! Qualified 2nd, and finished 3rd in the Main (Had a bunch of issues during the main - late start, ran outta gas due to late start...)

Anyhow, my first exposure to electric racing was at Hurricane RC track last Sunday. They had 8~11 'lectrics out there. Mostly buggys (2WD and 4WD) with one or two trucks. It looked like fun, but those things look DELICATE, and the big air 'nitro style' jumps weren't doing them any favors. They all seemed to survive it though. I was marshalling and saw some pretty gnarly landings with those electrics. I was surprised quite a few times when they continued to run after some baaad landings.

They don't seem as fast as Nitro's overall. They even had a few running brushless/LiPo setups. Maybe those guys were as fast. Looked like a heck of a lot of fun regardless. Definitely lower maintenance and worry in terms of running 'lectrics - based upon what I saw, and what I went through before and during the main. LOL.

RDeppen,

I would say that my limited experience at Hurricane RC's race backed up/supported the numbers and what you said:

North Florida may be different and I really can't comment on your area but in South and Central Fl Electric is all but dead except at maybe the Hurricane club in Tampa and even there I'm willing to bet gas outnumbers electric by 4 to 1.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

If that's true then maybe I should've gone for that job at Schumacher in Tampa
Old 08-27-2007, 01:35 PM
Tech Elite

Whew!!!! read the full 5 pages of the thread and... read many points really valid. Read others that... I don't want to comment.

No matter if you're electric or nitro burner (I was electric at my firsts... but evolutioned and went to nitro). What really matters is that you can enjoy what are you doing. Electric/Nitro, Off/On-Road, Indoors/Outdoors... you name it, you choose it and is your choose, no one could go and diss what you do.

Electric is easier to noobs just because you only need to charge, plug and run them. Nitro is harder and harsher (I'm tired to see it... at the track, newbies come with nitro cars and no one cared to teach them). They're scared to death to touch the carb needles, until they learn and... the monster is alive! they start wrenching on their car, carb adjusting and a lot more things.

Nitro racing, by nature is a collaborative thing, you need a pitman to race, so it makes you struggle to be social with the guys on your track (sure! this is one of the first things that many electric guys note and amaze themseleves from Nitro). Electric racing is more individual. You do not need a pitman.

Nitro is more show, just because the noise, the smoke and the smell (you don't need to be a gearhead to be attracted by such classes). You see on TV things very similar: F1, Indy, Nascar, Champ, SBK, MotoGP and other fuel burning things that are loud, leaves smoke and smelly, why you do not race like the ones you saw on TV?

Electric is more subtle, you can go in a pinch to the street in Saturday night, plug a battery and do some quick testing under the lights of the street. If someone do this with a nitro car... could get a salt shoot on their back as the least dangerous thing to happen (substitute salt for a 9mm, .357 or bigger lead in the worst of the cases).

Was an electric guy but went to the dark/smelly and greasy side of the hobby some time ago and... the only electric car that I run is an 1/18 Xray car.

BTW: No one should be offended by my sig. If someone does it... is their own problem and he will have two dutyes: Get p*ssed and get un-p*ssed...
Old 08-28-2007, 08:43 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

again as i said earlier, ive done both, but will stay electric. I gues why does it matter??? r/c is r/c!!! even if someone prefers to start with electric, more power to them, its one more person who gets into this great hobby. so i say were all equals wether you run electric, nitro, or the 1/5th scale gas.

just get out there and drive it!!!!!!
Old 08-28-2007, 10:47 AM
Tech Elite

I could post in this thread twice. I've been running and racing electric in the winter for about 7 or 8 years and only been in nitro for 3 counting this summer. Right now I'm chomping at the bit to get the points season over with and bring out the electric truck, because nitro just gets to be too stressful. Electric racing, everything's a lot simpler, I'm racing indoors so there's a lot of chassis setup involved, and I still race brushed Stock class motors because I have a blast trying to squeeze all the power I can out of them. And if I screw up, armatures are about $15, no big deal.

Nitro, I'm just happy if the thing runs. Forget working on chassis setup, I spend more time trying to get that stupid engine to stay lit for 20 minutes at a time than anything else. And if I screw up, $60 and beyond, plus an entire afternoon of breaking it in and having it puke oil everywhere. If someone comes out with EFI for nitro cars instead of carbs I'm all over it.

Now watch, come about February or March I'll be complaining about how sick and tired I am of driving to the track in the snow, freezing my arse off, and racing inside a drab steel and concrete warehouse building and wanting to run around outside in the sun. That's addiction for ya, I s'pose
Old 08-28-2007, 11:52 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Dave Nelson
or the 1/5th scale gas.
Well... may I could point that those wheeled sawtooth aren't nitro burning things so they could be considered a whole world apart? They could be considered the truckmens of the R/C: big, bulky and ugly... but a pleasure to wrench them...

J/K
Old 08-28-2007, 12:05 PM
Tech Regular

Well, I think this thread accomplishes a lot in terms of letting various individuals voice the 'Pro's' and 'Con's' of each RC path...

I've always been interested in electric. I will probably pick up a used brushless kit at some point. I think electric is the way to go for bashing or rock crawling - bar none.

My 'heart' and my 'wallet' will always belong to 'Nitro', though!