Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 8ight building and setup

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 05:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Cool

On the captured ends - Run the insise alum bumpsteer ball on the outside with the built in cone facing down. Run a cone washer on top with a little larger washer backing it. Run a screw all the way down through the setup and you are there. Make sure your rims do not hit the setup. You can grind it if need be. Also make sure the screw does not hit the arm. I would cut it to length and make a couple extra for your box.

On the tires - Tracks that are outdoor are usually more soil mixed tracks. A lot of times they will have a blend of the native soil. In our case ( North Texas) we will have a little clay mixed in. If you are just adhering to a surface from pin flex then you will want a tire with wider spacing in the pins so they will flex at the carcass. This is why, for most people, the Panther Komodos seem grabby and the Gator seems more tame. The K tire has a wide pin spacing that will flex and the Gator is more narrow like the Crime fighter.
This is why no one runs the Mug Shots any more. This Proline tire will grab like crazy because of the pin flex at the tires surface. It is a true oversized Bowtie.
I like to first select the compound I want to go with. If M2s hook up then so be it. It is almost equivalent to a Med-Soft in the Panther compounds. This should be determined on your tire spin and the longivity of the tire. If you are spinning a whole lot then you might want to change because you will have trouble in the main when they go away. Soft is not always the fastest. Start in the middle.
Second is to determine a pin type. If there are a lot of ruts like racing in blown out conditions, cut the edges to keep the tire from catching. Rectangle pins will favor a flex across the longest edge. IE - Bowties will grab better going forward than side to side loads. Crime Fighters will be neutral. Komodo Dragon Is will go forward better and be more forgiving on their side bite and K IIs will have mor side bite. The larger spaced pins of the Komodos will grab better in general than the Crime Fighter or the Bowtie given the compounds are equal. Also the smaller spaced pins of the Gator will grab less than either of these tires as well.
General rule - If there is dust or loose stuff on the track surface, stick with a larger pin type like discussed above. If it grooves go to a pattern that is more of a small pin type or surface area type tire. This is when the track blues because it holds rubber or is abrasive. Just keep in mind your tires should last for what ever your select.
Hope this helps,
TEX
Old 10-18-2007, 05:45 AM
Tech Master

Questions??

Originally Posted by cornerspeed
Droop settings should start with 95mm front and 106mm rear. Going less in front will add steering. Going more in rear will give more off power steering.
I have seen this on a lot of the guy's setups. How do you run so little travel in the rear and not beat your car to death? Now we run on tracks with no real back sides for the landings but the car likes to rotate like crazy with a 106mm rear droop setting.

Do you have landing ramps on your tracks jumps? We have 3 jumps that land flat so I run 96mm front and 109 - 110mm in the rear.

I think it is funny how many people have driven the Losi and run full droop and don't know how powerful of an adjustment it really is. With this car you can really feel it. 2mm can be considerable in getting the most out of your suspension.
TEX
Old 10-18-2007, 06:29 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Tex - good stuff on the tires. Do you have any experience with GRPs? I'm looking at the atomic and the jolly. It's hard to tell from pictures but, it looks to me like that are a similar pattern with the atomic having a shorter pin. What conditions would require a short vs. tall pin or specifically these tires?

Thanks
Old 10-18-2007, 07:31 AM
Tech Master

Thumbs up

Less dust or top soil would better use a short pin. More soil or dust use a taller pin. Traction is usually derived from contact with the hardest layer under the soil. There are tracks that have an abundance of loam where you would use a step pin type tire. I have not delt with one in years. These tracks tend to go away from driving on them and they are hard to maintain. This is why you do not see them often.

I'm not too familiar with the GRP product but I have seen them.
The Jolly looks like a tight pattern square lug tire. It should be neutral in handeling. With the pins that close together it will be consistant but it will grab less than a wider spaced design where the pins flex more.

The Atomics look good for light dust or no dust stuff.
I do not know anything about the compounds compared to other brands. I do know their stuff looks like it is very well thought out. The new carcass is left rough to give more flex in a tighter pin configuration.
I feel the others will soon follow this method of carcass molding to increase the traction of their tires.

I always love a good idea.
TEX
<---- Not done yet!
Old 10-18-2007, 08:06 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I ran a set of soft atomics at our track (normally dry, dusty) and they were awesome! The last a long time and were hooked up. I will probably get another set as I really really liked them.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:11 AM
Tech Master

Are they the new ones with the molded foam and textured carcass??
TEX
Old 10-18-2007, 08:12 AM
Tech Regular

yup, they sure are.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Put on some m2 crimefighters and punch that b#@ch!!
Old 10-18-2007, 08:17 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jpz_67
Put on some m2 crimefighters and punch that b#@ch!!
LOL!!!!
Old 10-18-2007, 08:24 AM
Tech Addict

Exclamation Starter box for Losi 8B

Need help!!!

What's a good starter box for the Losi 8B besides the Losi brand, since I believe the Losi one hase some issues in regards with the motor burning out?

Thanks for any advice!
Old 10-18-2007, 08:25 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by JRRobiso
Need help!!!

What's a good starter box for the Losi 8B besides the Losi brand, since I believe the Losi one hase some issues in regards with the motor burning out?

Thanks for any advice!
I am using the new OFNA truggy start with great success... dual 775 motors rock!
Old 10-18-2007, 08:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

I use the Ofna Chrome Top box .
Old 10-18-2007, 09:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (98%+)

AE box for me
Old 10-18-2007, 09:06 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

thanks for the tire advice TEX
Old 10-18-2007, 11:48 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by micrors4guy
AE box for me
Same here and it does not need any mods to work either.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.