Losi 8ight building and setup

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 8ight building and setup

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 10:20 AM
Tech Master

lightness can add to ruggedness (sp?). Less mass means less impact.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

RIIIIGGGGHHHHTTTTT....just keep telling yourself that.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:17 AM
Tech Master

And maybe the others are just overbuilt and heavy. Mine has proven to be very durable too.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:19 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The 8ight has proven itself every bit as durable as my Mayhem was. I ran the thing off a ramp, into the air, and straight into a fence post at 30+ MPH...it's plenty durable. There are almost 10 8ights at our local track, and I have yet to see any but mine fall out of a race(I re-adjusted my steering linkage, but because it's not a normal turn buckle, I couldn't see that I only had a few threads in one side with plenty in the other, so it came apart. My fault, not the design ). It's strong, and a potent race machine, far supperior to the outdated designs that so many hard headed people will fight to defend...
Old 01-08-2007, 11:53 AM
Tech Initiate

YO SPORT10,
DIDN'T SEE YA SATURDAY - ----QUITE A TURN OUT EVEN WITH THE RAIN

BUCKSHOT
Old 01-08-2007, 12:49 PM
Tech Master

Sorry I missed ya. I did not get there till around 12:30 pm. Alot of people had already left. The rain quit around 1:00pm and the remaining people ran the offroad track the rest of the day. Had alot of fun.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:11 PM
Tech Master

Why so much hate for the Losi Joe (turbo)? I've been running Mugen MBX5's & Prospecs for the last 4 years & K cars before that. There is no doubt in my mind that this car is as good or better. My statement about weight is absolutly true. Remember your high school physics.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RBMike
Why so much hate for the Losi Joe (turbo)? I've been running Mugen MBX5's & Prospecs for the last 4 years & K cars before that. There is no doubt in my mind that this car is as good or better. My statement about weight is absolutly true. Remember your high school physics.
less weight equals less force on impact. if you take 2 Mugen buggies, strap on 1 extra pound onto one buggy and crash both the exact same way the buggy with the extra pound will break parts far more easily. the is VERY durable, partly to do with how light it is. if you want something build like a tank to run into walls and not break, buy a tank
Old 01-08-2007, 02:55 PM
Tech Master

Wink

Hard to win a buggy race with a tank that's running the same motor as the buggies right Rich.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I don't hate Losi, I just don't believe in magic.

It's actually a bit more complicated than your HS Physics.

Being lighter doesn't make anything stronger. Simple as that. If you make it out of stronger material, you can use less of it and get the same strength. If you have 7.5 pounds at 30mph hitting a post, the additional inertia contributed by another 8 ounces is trivial.

The small bearing deal is a good chunk of it for sure...but it's not like they're gonna last longer than larger bearings, either.

It's a nice car and it was a pleasure to build. I just don't think it's magic and I don't think there's anything extraordinary about it aside from the overall weight. Like anything, it has its good points and its not-so-good points.

You could say it's more "race-oriented" (if that makes you feel better ) than some other more beefy buggies...you don't use race cars for driving to the store, because they're not built to withstand potholes and clipping curbs.

While all you guys are obviously "better than average" drivers (just like in Lake Wobegon, where all the children are above average) , the track I race at and the shops I frequent are selling plenty of replacement parts...there's plenty of stuff getting tweaked and broken.

One friend of mine has a hard time getting 5-10 minutes in a row without something falling off or breaking. He and I are obviously not as skilled as y'all are, but I haven't broken a part on mine in months (just did a WOT straightaway hit into a truggy the other night... ). My other friend has a gallon + on his and hasn't had to turn a screw yet...maybe it's just my mad buildin' skilz ( )...but the latter friend doesn't crash as much.

Originally Posted by RBMike
Old 01-08-2007, 04:14 PM
Tech Master

There is no magic involved just extremely good engineering. Losi knows how to build a strong, light buggy. I do believe there is more going on in this buggy than just light weight. The flex and narrow layout have alot to do with it as does the suspension design. The Losi design will make the other manufacturers have to break the mold if they are going to keep up. Team Associated's new buggy will not be no slouch in the weight and design market either I am willing to bet.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Turbo Joe
Silly light, but I don't know about the "super strong" part. Ain't no way it's gonna hold up as well as a heavier buggy will. It may well be strong enough for you and many others, but it's hardly bulletproof.
I beat the heck out of mine and have a whole box of spare parts and I still havent used any of them.. The a arms and hubs are the best Ive seen. The only thing I see bad is the same cvd pins as in the lst and mayhem axles, which suck..
Old 01-08-2007, 05:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I just ordered the KH 7075 clutch shoes.. anyone here run them, what do you think? Are you supposed to run all 4 aluminium shoes, or 2/2?
Old 01-08-2007, 05:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FlyByWire
I just ordered the KH 7075 clutch shoes.. anyone here run them, what do you think? Are you supposed to run all 4 aluminium shoes, or 2/2?
I'm running 4 KH 7075 shoes right now. There awesome! I have over 1 1/2 gallons on them and there almost new! 2 Gold Springs and 2 Green Springs. DA BOMB with my V Spec...
Old 01-08-2007, 06:02 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SupermaxxRich
I'm running 4 KH 7075 shoes right now. There awesome! I have over 1 1/2 gallons on them and there almost new! 2 Gold Springs and 2 Green Springs. DA BOMB with my V Spec...

all 4, gold/green, long lasting.. got it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.