Search

Losi 8ight building and setup

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 07:08 PM
Tech Adept

Default diff problems

i'm having problems with the front diff i have the RTR version of the buggy

went out today bought diff oil put that in no problem but when i go to put

the differential into the diff housing the pinion and the ring gear dont seem to

match up right they sound really bad i was wondering if someone could

instruct me as how to fix this.
Old 05-12-2007, 07:45 PM
Tech Rookie

I just started breaking in my new 8ight RTR, i followed all the throttle/break setup, grommets, washer etc..but when im on my 2nd tank my throttle servo stop functioning, do you think its already broken? need your help guys. thanks
Old 05-12-2007, 07:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Laysander
I just started breaking in my new 8ight RTR, i followed all the throttle/break setup, grommets, washer etc..but when im on my 2nd tank my throttle servo stop functioning, do you think its already broken? need your help guys. thanks
Open the reciver lid and take the steering servo wire#1 and plug it in the throttle slot #2 to see if it works. youll know if the servo is bad or not.
Old 05-12-2007, 07:55 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vroom88
i'm having problems with the front diff i have the RTR version of the buggy

went out today bought diff oil put that in no problem but when i go to put

the differential into the diff housing the pinion and the ring gear dont seem to

match up right they sound really bad i was wondering if someone could

instruct me as how to fix this.
sometimes the case halfs seem to kind of bind when tightened, try loosening all the screws and re-tighten them in a "cross" pattern a little at a time while working the driveshaft. you should notice the point when your binding occures. usuailly this cures the problem and you can get everything fairly tight and the gears will be smooth
Old 05-12-2007, 08:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Any of you guy's been having any good luck with the o-rings under the radio tray? I used to blow servo's but after i swithched to futaba's it's been problem free. havent done the o-ring under the radio tray though.
Old 05-12-2007, 08:31 PM
Tech Adept

welp i did the x pattern on the diff when i put the ring gear back on tried it on the housing and its still making noise
Old 05-12-2007, 08:31 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Im running the Orings under my radio tray with the kings head stiffner.
No problems, Knock on wood.
Old 05-12-2007, 08:37 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

welp i did the x pattern on the diff when i put the ring gear back on tried it on the housing and its still making noise
ummmmm.....well.....ummmmm....i know on my buddys RTR i couldnt torque them down, i just left them snug. i am out of ideas at this point......sorry
Old 05-12-2007, 08:40 PM
Tech Regular

Take it back apart and inspect the R/P - make sure the teeth are in good shape - clean it up and put a little grease on the gears and reinstall it...tighten the screws down a little at a time in a criss cross pattern and you should be good to go
Old 05-12-2007, 09:31 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by freefallmarine
Open the reciver lid and take the steering servo wire#1 and plug it in the throttle slot #2 to see if it works. youll know if the servo is bad or not.
i tried switching it..and yes the steering did work and i tried putting the throttle in steering slot..but still didnt work..i tried moving the horn a bit and i hear a little bzzzzzzz on the throttle servo..so did i blew it???can i complain and make a claim to team losi??i cant belive that im still on my breaking in period and the throttle stop working already
Old 05-12-2007, 09:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Talking

Laysander - Yes. Losi will stand behind the product. Take it to a pro shop and let them look everything over. You may have overlooked something or maybe there is something happening you didn't understand to look for.
There is a lot of room for improvement on RTRs.

Vroom - You need to make sure the pinion gear is pressed as far back as possible in the case and ten lock the front canter shaft down on it. You can leave this gear with a little slop and it will make a hell of a racket and tear your diff up.

Scotty?? You race??
See you,
TEX
Old 05-12-2007, 10:06 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I didnt make it Tex, i think im going to try to go next weekend.
Jakes new track is fun, have you run it yet?
Old 05-13-2007, 06:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

If you are just hearing what can be considered "minor" diff noise from the gears and are sure the pinion is seated all the way in. Take it out to your back yard and run it for a about 5 minutes just putting around - get some load on it.

I had the same issue when I rebuilt my car the other day - couldn't get rid of that last little bit of gear noise. Ran it in my back yard and it was good to go.
I wouldn't neccessarily use any grease - with the RPM these things turn its just going to sling off and give you a messy diff case.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by freefallmarine
Any of you guy's been having any good luck with the o-rings under the radio tray? I used to blow servo's but after i swithched to futaba's it's been problem free. havent done the o-ring under the radio tray though.
I ran the o-rings once and took them off after I put the King Headz stiffener. So far so good.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I tried to add the Xtreme Racing stiffner but it causes the throttle servo to rub on the body. I had orings on there for about a day. They were just a pain to be honest. Its been about 2 gallons since my first and only servo issue with a JR 590. Switched to a pair of 9000t's - no issues at all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.