Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 8ight building and setup

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 04:17 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by robsxxxs
I got a O.S. Max 21VZ-B V-Spec-T for my 8ight. My question is is the o.s. P3 plug the only one i can use or is there something else i can use?
i just got the same i think os say you can use the p6 as an option it would apper from the manual page 34
Old 02-18-2007, 05:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default measurements

Josh K: That is exactly how you measure droop. I measure my ride height Near the servo saver area in the front. This is where it's flat before it rounds up. In the rear I measure in the center of the axles. both measurements are taken by dropping the buggy from about 2ft onto a table, then measuring from the table to the chassis. Hope this helps.
Old 02-18-2007, 05:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (96%+)

i have a couple questions i've ran about 2 gallons threw my losi 8 and i blew 4 servos when i first got it running and ever since then its been perfect well since then i've put about 1.5 gallons on it and last night out of no where my throtle servo goes. so i switched it with another one and in warm up not even 2 laps i blew another servo. well after all that i was going threw my buggy today and noticed my rear brake has some drag and the collar wasn't returning back. so i think since i had some drag brake that caused my motor to heat up to 315 and maybe the heat caused the servos to go? im not so sure on why they went so quickly. i've followed all the set up linkages you've all posted and i even had billy fisher take a look at it and he wasnt even sure. so if anyone could give me some ideas

thanks ethan
Old 02-18-2007, 05:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Finally got my 8ight all wrapped and ready for the Canadian Winter Nats on March 1st 8-) Actually still need to rebuild the shocks and then I'm done my rebuild.
Not going to take the credit for these springs that I installed between the calipers. Casey Peck told me about these springs and they fit perfectly!

Also installed a new HT Batts Lipo in my car. Been running the 1500 series HT Batts for a couple years now and there great! I get about 2 hours 15 minutes run time with that battery!!! 8-) SO I decided to lighten up my car by another ounce by running the HT Batts 950 battery. I figure I'm still good for 1 hour 15 minutes run time wich is more than enough for any main ;-) I took some pics of the weight saving of these Lipo Batts over a conventional 1100 battery back.

Looking forward to finally running my car on some real dirt!! I'll be spending the next week glueing tires and packing everything up.

I'm really happy with the way Maurizio at Maugrafix matched up my decals to my paint scheme, he did a great job! Thanks Mau!!!!!

I also installed a HT Batt Lipo in my starter box, this thing weighs nothing now and has mega "jam" for turning over the tightest of engines!

Old 02-18-2007, 05:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by robsxxxs
ok time to stock up on extra parts before the season starts. i guess i will need clutch bearings for sure. my question to you is, what parts are you breaking that i should have in my parts box?
Buy several sets of rear outer hinge pins. I bend them every time I run. "Everytime!!" Thats it. Otherwise the car is bullet proof. Regular wear and tear for me is shock bladders, rear outer hinge pins and Air filters.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by rcejk
i have a couple questions i've ran about 2 gallons threw my losi 8 and i blew 4 servos when i first got it running and ever since then its been perfect well since then i've put about 1.5 gallons on it and last night out of no where my throtle servo goes. so i switched it with another one and in warm up not even 2 laps i blew another servo. well after all that i was going threw my buggy today and noticed my rear brake has some drag and the collar wasn't returning back. so i think since i had some drag brake that caused my motor to heat up to 315 and maybe the heat caused the servos to go? im not so sure on why they went so quickly. i've followed all the set up linkages you've all posted and i even had billy fisher take a look at it and he wasnt even sure. so if anyone could give me some ideas

thanks ethan

I highly doubt it was heat. The one thing you need to check real good is when your car is hot does your carb slide bind? If its bound up the servo is trying its hardest to pull it open and close it. This should be apparent when you let off the gas and your car continues to go and then slows down by it self. I had this happen a few times. A few things Ive observed and feel free to correct me everyone, 1. If your carb is on to much of an angle its hard to use a rubber band as a return without it binding up. 2. You have to have end play at full throttle to allow for chassis flex, Check and Adjust your Epas all the time. 3. Use rubber fuel tube on the end of your throttle linkage to absorb some of the shock at wide open. 4. Grind your top diff plate to align your carb as straight as passable. If all these things are done you would think servos would live!! Anyway, an easy fix to me would be for Losi to make the servo horn a 1/8 inch longer.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:11 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by SupermaxxRich
Not going to take the credit for these springs that I installed between the calipers. Casey Peck told me about these springs and they fit perfectly!

These work too.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/3699

Last edited by dirtracer1; 02-19-2007 at 05:05 AM.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:25 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by MonkeyWrench
I highly doubt it was heat. The one thing you need to check real good is when your car is hot does your carb slide bind? If its bound up the servo is trying its hardest to pull it open and close it. This should be apparent when you let off the gas and your car continues to go and then slows down by it self. I had this happen a few times. A few things Ive observed and feel free to correct me everyone, 1. If your carb is on to much of an angle its hard to use a rubber band as a return without it binding up. 2. You have to have end play at full throttle to allow for chassis flex, Check and Adjust your Epas all the time. 3. Use rubber fuel tube on the end of your throttle linkage to absorb some of the shock at wide open. 4. Grind your top diff plate to align your carb as straight as passable. If all these things are done you would think servos would live!! Anyway, an easy fix to me would be for Losi to make the servo horn a 1/8 inch longer.

today i shaved off about 3mm off the center diff plate. i just installed my new radical 621t and the carb is huge on it. im dieing to see what it can do once its fully broken in but im still trying to figure out what to do with the servo problem. right now i have a rubber band on there and everything seams to be pretty smooth.

i've been playing with the servo for at least an hour by giving full throtle and braking and seeing if there is any binding. everything seams to be good the real test is to drive it and see what it does when there is chassis flex.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Man this car is light! Car in the picture is ready to run minus fuel. Also note that I have a pretty heavy tire combo on the car with the Bow Ties and Molded Foams. 7 pounds 3.3 ounces !!

Old 02-18-2007, 07:12 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Talking Hey guys

Hey guys I am looking for a new motor for my 8ight and my limit is $200.00 dollars and I was wondering if this is a good motor and if anybody can tell me if it is worth buying. Now I know it is a Italian made motor so I know it will be good.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/9124
Thanks guys I really appriciate it alot.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:53 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Down stop help

Can someone tell me where to measure the "Limit/Drop" or down stop on my Losi 8ight. My setup sheet says the front should be 95mm and rear 106mm but I need to know from what point to what point. Thanks

Jim
Old 02-18-2007, 08:43 PM
Tech Apprentice

does anyone have a link to those crimefighter knock off tires. They are like 17.99 for 4 I can't for the life of me remember the website.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:02 PM

Default Shock building questions

I have a couple of questions about building the shocks.
1. How tight should the pistion fit inside the shock body. The piston seems to be tight against the inside wall of the shock body. Should I smooth down the piston more to make it looser?
2. When threading on the bottom shock caps where the rubber seals are will hand tight be enough? I tried to use pliers while covering the cap before putting the pliers on and it scratched the cap. Is there another way? I did put on some blue locktite on the threads.
Thanks.
Rockman
Old 02-18-2007, 09:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by rcejk
today i shaved off about 3mm off the center diff plate. i just installed my new radical 621t and the carb is huge on it. im dieing to see what it can do once its fully broken in but im still trying to figure out what to do with the servo problem. right now i have a rubber band on there and everything seams to be pretty smooth.

i've been playing with the servo for at least an hour by giving full throtle and braking and seeing if there is any binding. everything seams to be good the real test is to drive it and see what it does when there is chassis flex.
I have the Radical 621T in my 8ight and so far I havn't had had any problems with it contacting the diff plate. The carb is turned slightly to clear the diff plate without any shaving or binding. The motor is a pain to get started at first, but it puts out some real power. I have it teamed with the JP-3 pipe and it screams, you'll be real happy with it.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:10 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Rando
I have the Radical 621T in my 8ight and so far I havn't had had any problems with it contacting the diff plate. The carb is turned slightly to clear the diff plate without any shaving or binding. The motor is a pain to get started at first, but it puts out some real power. I have it teamed with the JP-3 pipe and it screams, you'll be real happy with it.

thats exactly what i have in it right now is the jp-3 pipe but im waiting on a stupid starter box lol. everything is backed ordered so im just going to see if i can use one at my local track.

i think i figured out why i blew 2 more servos. i believe it was with the binding of the rear brake. but not certain.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.