Search
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By racing_jason

LTC vs. HTC in Truggy.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2024, 01:19 PM
Tech Master

Default LTC vs. HTC in Truggy.

Was in a conversation about Truggy diffs and the use of LTC diff gears vs HTC gears. One of the guys mentioned that LTC gears shouldn’t be used in Truggy diffs because of the added stress of the larger Truggy tires etc can cause the sun gear to break. Personally I’ve never tried the LTC gears even in a low traction situation but am quite curious about the added traction they could provide especially for my local track which is quite loamy but also I’m curious about what the guy mentioned about their durability as mentioned as I rather not deal with a bad trade off. Anyone have any input on this?
Old 05-14-2024, 03:21 PM
Tech Lord

https://youtu.be/WR-xw6H2UYE
Old 05-14-2024, 03:27 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Roelof
I seen that and I’m looking for more input if that’s ok.
Old 05-14-2024, 03:51 PM
Tech Regular

I ran LTC gears in my Truggy for close to a full season and and had no issues.
As far as benefit I would say the truck did seem to pick up grip, but it was very easy to unload the inside tire. You also had to deal with the diffs never 'locking' so you'd lose some forward drive out of 180's. As a rough idea I bumped my diffs from 10k-15k-8.5k to 12.5k-15k-10k (AE Rig)
All that being said i have gone back to the HTC diffs as it seemed to be more consistent lap to lap and if you were in the line vs off the line the truck seemed to be more consistent.
Hope this helps,

Jason
BrettL likes this.
Old 05-14-2024, 04:09 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by racing_jason
I ran LTC gears in my Truggy for close to a full season and and had no issues.
As far as benefit I would say the truck did seem to pick up grip, but it was very easy to unload the inside tire. You also had to deal with the diffs never 'locking' so you'd lose some forward drive out of 180's. As a rough idea I bumped my diffs from 10k-15k-8.5k to 12.5k-15k-10k (AE Rig)
All that being said i have gone back to the HTC diffs as it seemed to be more consistent lap to lap and if you were in the line vs off the line the truck seemed to be more consistent.
Hope this helps,

Jason
That’s what I was wondering and kind of the argument I was making at the same time. It just didn’t seem that the LTC diffs gave enough xtra traction to warrant the use of them Vs. other means. My main focus was on the idea of them breaking but I have never heard of it happening with the LTC gears. Not saying it can’t happen but just never heard of it.