Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree27Likes

Nitro starting to make a comeback?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2024, 08:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default Nitro starting to make a comeback?

I think 8 or so years ago nitro was 'done' and dead, loads were converting to brushless, the smaller 1/10th electric classes were dominating and some hobbyshops weren't even selling fuel any more..
Yet the last few months there seems to be a movement back to these things.
Kevin Talbot has been converting people, lots of recent YouTube videos of nitros beating brushless versions and other little hints that it's far from dead.
I know it won't get back to the boom years of 2005-2010 but it's good to see it still out there.

Just posting this as there is an unused bmx track (not really a track, just jumps and berms) near my house that for the last 10 years has been a popular rc basher spot. Usually 4 or 5 guys with Arma or short course trucks but the last 3 times I've been there people have been using nitros, on Sunday there was group there and for the first time ever, there were more nitros than electric. The nitros also draw a lot more spectators than electric stuff.
A 4wd electric short course hits a jump, goes 5 feet on the air, a small crowd is 'meh' but then a nitro buggy hits the jump, goes 10+ feet into the air revvings it's guts out and lands on 4 wheels people are laughing and cheering 👍
Old 04-22-2024, 11:24 PM
Tech Lord

Nitro was never gone. Nitro was gone because people say it was gone.

Yes, there is a transformation to electric, for sure with RC flying that is visible. It is also because people tell others that Nitro is difficult, a lot of wrenching, less driving, continuous tuning etc. At the end people do get tired of waiting when batteries are charged and with today's 1/8 models using 4S/6S batteries it is expensive to get more batteries and better chargers.
nitrous36 likes this.
Old 04-23-2024, 05:39 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Coopz
I think 8 or so years ago nitro was 'done' and dead, loads were converting to brushless, the smaller 1/10th electric classes were dominating and some hobbyshops weren't even selling fuel any more..
Yet the last few months there seems to be a movement back to these things.
Kevin Talbot has been converting people, lots of recent YouTube videos of nitros beating brushless versions and other little hints that it's far from dead.
I know it won't get back to the boom years of 2005-2010 but it's good to see it still out there.

Just posting this as there is an unused bmx track (not really a track, just jumps and berms) near my house that for the last 10 years has been a popular rc basher spot. Usually 4 or 5 guys with Arma or short course trucks but the last 3 times I've been there people have been using nitros, on Sunday there was group there and for the first time ever, there were more nitros than electric. The nitros also draw a lot more spectators than electric stuff.
A 4wd electric short course hits a jump, goes 5 feet on the air, a small crowd is 'meh' but then a nitro buggy hits the jump, goes 10+ feet into the air revvings it's guts out and lands on 4 wheels people are laughing and cheering 👍
You're dreaming Nitro is going slowly out for brushless People don't want to waste time tuning and breaking and engine in anymore. The want in now, rtr out of the box., just charge and bash. And the fuel is getting more expensive and harder to find. hobby shops don't want to carry it anymore.
Old 04-23-2024, 05:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

nitro never died. brushless racing is cool but does not replace the thrill of nitro off-road, especially. you cant run 45 min mains with an e-buggy or e-truggy..
BrettL and Goof like this.
Old 04-23-2024, 06:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

The truth is electric is just easier. Nitro takes more work. Sad reality in my area is that racing is getting really shaky.
Old 04-23-2024, 06:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jpz_67
The truth is electric is just easier. Nitro takes more work. Sad reality in my area is that racing is getting really shaky.
​​​​​​
That's universal, the spiralling cost of living and the high costs of rc racing, hobbies have to take a back seat...
Old 04-23-2024, 07:35 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1995 Monster T
You're dreaming Nitro is going slowly out for brushless People don't want to waste time tuning and breaking and engine in anymore. The want in now, rtr out of the box., just charge and bash. And the fuel is getting more expensive and harder to find. hobby shops don't want to carry it anymore.
I used a jug of Traxxas fuel from 2007 last summer. Price tag was $36.99. Today I’m buying VP from Hobbytown, price is $39.99. I’m sorry to say but I don’t follow how or why or where this fuel price increase came from.

Originally Posted by Cinnabun
nitro never died. brushless racing is cool but does not replace the thrill of nitro off-road, especially. you cant run 45 min mains with an e-buggy or e-truggy..
Exactly. Electric is checkers, nitro is chess. Nitro never went anywhere for racing, but bashing is a different story I guess.
Old 04-23-2024, 09:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I've been trying to promote nitro/get people into it more on my channel, but I think nitro sells less and less every year at my LHS. It seems to take up less shelf space each year than the year before. You can also see what the trend is based on what the manufacturers release -- for example the new Losi 8ight X/E RTR only comes in electric, while the last RTR came in both nitro and electric.

So I wouldn't say it's making a comeback, but at least there are some new people getting INTO nitro, to offset some of people getting OUT of nitro (or quitting RC altogether).
Old 04-24-2024, 12:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Against nitro, driving electric is boring, especially for the spectators but also for the drivers.... zzz slach zzzz
1/10 is better
Old 04-24-2024, 01:46 AM
Tech Adept

You will always see RC waves due to the economy. RC is cheap compared to other hobbies.
Old 04-24-2024, 06:36 AM
Tech Adept

Nitro is too demanding for the young people. It is easier to charge the batteries and there you go.

This is the tiktok generation.
Old 04-24-2024, 11:52 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Nitro never left for the people who are true gear heads. Electric just don't cut it for us. I see a resurgence to nitro on the near horizon. Let's face it, getting a Nitro platform to perform as needed is somewhat of an art as we have the engine, pipes, clutch, gearing etc .. all must be taken into consideration in order to reach out goals for the platform. I see it becoming "cool" again to learn how ICE work and how to optimize them. I live in a neighborhood with say 10 kids all between 8-11 years old and they all play with their Arrmas and Traxxas brushless setups on a golf course and as soon as I come out there with a Nitro rig, they are all amazed with it and immediately start asking questions about various parts like exhaust for instance. They all want to learn about engines and the rest of the components ...needless to say they are bored with brushless. I do my best to teach and show them what simple changes to the clutch (Buku) or manifold can do to the feeling and performance to the platform, and they are always amazed when they see the difference...at times I get looked at like I invented fire lol. As it gets established as being "cool" to know about ICE that curiosity and passion will 100% trickle back down to our hobby. It's up to us to explain and inform the next generation of Nitroheads how to do it and do it right so the frustration is minimized during the learning process that may direct them too electric. As long as they follow the basic steps of building, tuning and maintenance this is an incredible hobby that can lead into a very bright future in various fields that are mechanically based...at least it did for me lol
Old 04-24-2024, 07:50 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by revo_race
I used a jug of Traxxas fuel from 2007 last summer. Price tag was $36.99. Today I’m buying VP from Hobbytown, price is $39.99. I’m sorry to say but I don’t follow how or why or where this fuel price increase came from.
the cost of a drum of nitromethane has almost doubled in the last 6/7 years do to a cut in manufacturing. be surprised RC fuel isn't 65$ a gallon
Old 04-24-2024, 08:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Would gladly pay $65/gallon to run nitro. It is just so much more fun and exciting than eBuggy. When eBuggy is the only option, either by regulation or attrition, I will be thankful for the 40 years in RC racing and say, “goodbye!”
Old 04-24-2024, 08:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 81 (99%+)

Nitro is the glory and ebuggy never paid the bills

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.