Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
First Nitro kit for racing >

First Nitro kit for racing

First Nitro kit for racing

Old 04-03-2018, 08:35 AM
Tech Rookie

Default First Nitro kit for racing

I really want to get more serious about RCs and from what I see the 1/8 Nitro buggy and truggy seems like fun. I have heard more than once the the Losi 8ight platform is a good way to start, and I see they even have a RTR kit. How are these Losi RTRs and can they be upgraded to compete with the team race kits? Are they directly based on the Team Losi racing kit versions?

What about other kits I can consider in the Nitro buggy and truggy area? Tekno stuff seems very popular too, and I love every product I have bought with Tekno on it how about the NT48.3? I have watched so many videos on all the different manufactures and they all seem really good I dont know how to pick one. I dont want to start with a car/truck that I will quickly out grow and move on to another maker and have to buy all new stuff. It would be a lot more economical and convenient to work with only one for buggy and truggy because it seems that many parts and pieces are common.

Should I consider running TWO different manufactures for truggy and buggy?

Again, really really like everything I see and read on Tekno. If there isn't a major or very compelling reason (like durability/performance/parts) not to run with them I might go with Tekno kits. This means I will have to do some more research on motors and parts to build them but I can do it.

Please whatever your thoughts are on one, all, any questions I have I want to hear it. Honestly.

Thank you
Old 04-03-2018, 08:51 AM
Tech Rookie

There is one is listed for sale on here. Comes with starter box and a roller. You would need controller and engine, But it is a great racing buggy and great way to get into racing.

The RTR's need upgraded parts to race with, thats for sure.

I am not able to post urls (even on same site) so you will need to add the RCtech url before this link.

forum/r-c-items-sale-trade/1014001-tlr-8ight-4-0-roller-starterbox-spares-sale.html
Old 04-03-2018, 08:57 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Usually keeping the same manufacturer for buggy and truggy is suggested as most of the parts are interchangeable. You will not need to have parts for buggy and then parts for the truggy, keeping costs down.

As for kits, if you plan on racing then a kit would be better. Some RTR kits are capable of racing, but at the end of the day you end up changing so many things that it becomes the kit version.

Tekno NB48.4, TLR 8ight 4.0, Serpent SRX8, Xray XB8, Mugen MBX8, HB and the rest are all up there. See what your local hobby shop carry and go from there. Tekno, TLR, Xray, Sworkz seem to be the ones with the latest chassis on both buggy and truggy kits. Food for thought.

Here is a truggy TLR 8T for sale new with nitro/electric conversion
TLR 8T nitro or electric *brand new* roller WTT

Last edited by sebtarta; 04-03-2018 at 09:21 AM.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bif24701 View Post
I really want to get more serious about RCs and from what I see the 1/8 Nitro buggy and truggy seems like fun. I have heard more than once the the Losi 8ight platform is a good way to start, and I see they even have a RTR kit. How are these Losi RTRs and can they be upgraded to compete with the team race kits? Are they directly based on the Team Losi racing kit versions?

What about other kits I can consider in the Nitro buggy and truggy area? Tekno stuff seems very popular too, and I love every product I have bought with Tekno on it how about the NT48.3? I have watched so many videos on all the different manufactures and they all seem really good I dont know how to pick one. I dont want to start with a car/truck that I will quickly out grow and move on to another maker and have to buy all new stuff. It would be a lot more economical and convenient to work with only one for buggy and truggy because it seems that many parts and pieces are common.

Should I consider running TWO different manufactures for truggy and buggy?

Again, really really like everything I see and read on Tekno. If there isn't a major or very compelling reason (like durability/performance/parts) not to run with them I might go with Tekno kits. This means I will have to do some more research on motors and parts to build them but I can do it.

Please whatever your thoughts are on one, all, any questions I have I want to hear it. Honestly.

Thank you
The Losi RTR is very capable. Only needs a few upgrades to be more competitive then it is out of the box. If money is an issue, or the wife/gf won't let you spill that much in one shot, click below. If you're looking to get into some serious racing right away, go with a kit.

Losi 8IGHT Nitro 1/8 4WD RTR Buggy - v.2016/17

I would stick with the same manufacturer if possible.