Wiki Posts
Search

RCGT instead of 17.5 Touring?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 06:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

jlfx,

First, the X-pattern HPI tires are way different from the Vintage treaded tire. Back when I first got into racing onroad electric/nitro (1999), X-patterns worked better than any of the other tires brands on the market. This was when there was only one compound instead of the three they offer now. And, gluing tires is only as difficult as you make it. Ten years ago, if you didn't glue them, you did not race. Plus, with gluing your own, you can try different shore inserts to see what will work in different conditions.

As far as your local hobby shops go, would you support the racers that are always buying their stuff online? I support my local hobby shops and order stuff they don't carry through them. I work in one of my local shops on Saturdays and can tell you it is not easy trying to please you guys, carry the proper stuff, and still sell enough to keep the doors open, lights on, and workers paid. You are free to purchase from who you feel comfortable but when you do and always hype it up that you are always buying from A-Main or Tower, then as a store owner, it is hard to support folks that don't want to support you.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:00 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by hairy
[/COLOR]

That's WAR and this is
a hobby, there is the diff.
No sir, there is no difference when it comes to fair representation. You pay to be a member of the club, you have the right to vote on issues whether you can attend or not. You can't deny that process just because they can't make a meeting.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:24 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I agree the X-patterns work really well...and when I went to the Nats(VTA), I won a set of pre-glued X-pattern tires...they are the cheaper of the 3, but work really well...Im just as fast with those with my lambo, as with the Jaco blues and TC body...(maybe a litttle off..lol)...but all I did was add a little bead of glue on the outside lip to make sure they didnt come apart....and they last as well...still got the same set as well as the belted kind too...

I would like to see RCGT at the BTH or Fall Brawl as well...nothing better than seeing racing with cars you can identify....run RCGT as 17.5/27t...and run a mod/open TC class..jmo...

oh also...support your local hobby shop...I dont order anything on-line...Ive only bought a coulpe of things at the shops there...but anything I need here in Nashville, either of the 2 shops here will get it, alot of times cheaper or equal to the web price....but mostly cause Im dedicated to giving them ALL my business
Old 12-17-2009, 09:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Last edited by hairy; 12-17-2009 at 08:35 PM. Reason: being an ass
Old 12-17-2009, 10:01 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by hairy
There IS a BIG difference between War and the Hobby. War is life and death and a hobby is not! do not cheapen the effort of the Brave men and women in the Service of our Country in that manner! If you have a opinion on how the club should move than call your club president and let Your feelings or opinion be known, but by no means confuse that with service to your country!
They have NO CHOICE IN BEING WERE THEY ARE .....you do and you can do something about it.!!!!!
Now I see why some of your posts have been deleted. If you like being part of a group that you pay into and are excluded for whatever reasons, then don't complain when decision are made without your input or vote. Also, you centered in on just the military aspect of my comment instead of the big picture of being able to participate in the voting process through absentee balloting, which was the point I was trying to make. Dude, chill out, it is not that crucial.

PS:
By the way, I am ex-military and would have been ticked if there were elections going on in my home state that I could not or weren't allowed to vote because I was not there due to my obligations. Same rules apply when being a club member and not being able to vote because circumstances dictate that you can't attend the meeting in which issues are being voted. Again, chill out, take a few deep breathes, and have a Coke and a smile.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:21 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
I agree the X-patterns work really well...and when I went to the Nats(VTA), I won a set of pre-glued X-pattern tires...they are the cheaper of the 3, but work really well...Im just as fast with those with my lambo, as with the Jaco blues and TC body...(maybe a litttle off..lol)...but all I did was add a little bead of glue on the outside lip to make sure they didnt come apart....and they last as well...still got the same set as well as the belted kind too...

I would like to see RCGT at the BTH or Fall Brawl as well...nothing better than seeing racing with cars you can identify....run RCGT as 17.5/27t...and run a mod/open TC class..jmo...

oh also...support your local hobby shop...I dont order anything on-line...Ive only bought a coulpe of things at the shops there...but anything I need here in Nashville, either of the 2 shops here will get it, alot of times cheaper or equal to the web price....but mostly cause Im dedicated to giving them ALL my business
I did not know that HPI had pre-glued X-patterns on rims. I need to look into that. HPI tires aren't as bad as racers make them out to be.

Whether you stay with 17.5 TC or RCGT, you can't go wrong either way. Mainly, the only changes are to the bodies, tires, and rims (if you adopt the HPI rules). You can still use the same chassis, batteries, ESCs, and motors that you are currently running so additional costs will be very minimal. When I come to run with you guys, I will be in for whichever direction is taken on this topic.

Thank you for supporting the local hobby shop as much as you can. Some of the stores I have been to in other areas have workers in them that are like a Library of Congress as far as r/c knowledge. That is something you can't get from most online shops. Plus, it provides a place, when not working or with the family, to hang out and rub elbows with our r/c buddies and share r/c knowledge with each other (Priceless!!).
Old 12-17-2009, 10:34 AM
Tech Apprentice

Just a thought.

Is the equipment that we have capable of running two classes at once, and being able to seperate the two?

The reason is, if you dig back, and go past the club politics and the american flag waving (both of which totally belong in a discussion of 17.5 TC vs. RCGT), someone said that their RCGT car ran fairly comparable to the 17.5 TC. It sounded like it wasn't as fast, but seems reasonably close enough that they could run together. (Probably no different than having $1200 dollar 1/8 buggies on the track at the same time as your $500 RTRs)

I think this would end up being the best of both worlds. I figure that the 17.5 TC guys that don't want to go to 13.5 for whatever reason (cost, driver skill) won't have to. The 13.5 guys will...well..run 13.5. And I figure those that want to do more racing in a day can / will run the RCGT class instead of sandbagging into the 17.5. It will give the fast guys a more competitive group, let the 17.5 guys be able to race each other without ringers, and make sure there's enough to race both classes. This would require the rule of you can NOT run 13.5 and 17.5 races. You can run RCGT and 13.5, RCGT only, or 17.5 only.

Of course, this only works if the software is capable of it.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:48 AM
Tech Elite

[

Last edited by hairy; 12-17-2009 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Sorry
Old 12-17-2009, 12:49 PM
Tech Regular

Must be someone's time of the month!
Old 12-17-2009, 01:07 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Infernal Stone
Just a thought.

Is the equipment that we have capable of running two classes at once, and being able to seperate the two?

The reason is, if you dig back, and go past the club politics and the american flag waving (both of which totally belong in a discussion of 17.5 TC vs. RCGT), someone said that their RCGT car ran fairly comparable to the 17.5 TC. It sounded like it wasn't as fast, but seems reasonably close enough that they could run together. (Probably no different than having $1200 dollar 1/8 buggies on the track at the same time as your $500 RTRs)

I think this would end up being the best of both worlds. I figure that the 17.5 TC guys that don't want to go to 13.5 for whatever reason (cost, driver skill) won't have to. The 13.5 guys will...well..run 13.5. And I figure those that want to do more racing in a day can / will run the RCGT class instead of sandbagging into the 17.5. It will give the fast guys a more competitive group, let the 17.5 guys be able to race each other without ringers, and make sure there's enough to race both classes. This would require the rule of you can NOT run 13.5 and 17.5 races. You can run RCGT and 13.5, RCGT only, or 17.5 only.

Of course, this only works if the software is capable of it.
To answer your question, it is possible if your software is programmable that way (designating TC/RCGT drivers per some label). The classes can be run in a LeMans style and manually score them differently if you did it in as a series.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:27 PM
Tech Elite

Merry Christmas

Last edited by hairy; 12-17-2009 at 08:32 PM.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:56 PM
Tech Addict

With all the Drama .... Here lately .... It really makes me think why I got back into onroad and want to race with the MSRA ... Im beginning to change my mind ... and go a diffrent rout ....
Old 12-17-2009, 02:10 PM
Tech Addict

[QUOTE=hairy;6732236]The by laws do not provide for absentte ballots that's why it is NOT done. and I find offense in your comparing anything in this hooby to service in the military!you chill out![/QUO

Let me get this straight in my head .....

So you are saying ... That the people who serve our great country cant use the things that they learn from the Military to civilian life .... There are service men and women out there who are injured for life ... They raced when they were kids before the military served our country with Honor ... Now that there injured ... they pick racing back up.... There service me and women now who race OFFroad overseas on Base ........

So how do they not relate .... Or Compare .... As you say it
Old 12-17-2009, 02:15 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by VoodooDaddy
With all the Drama .... Here lately .... It really makes me think why I got back into onroad and want to race with the MSRA ... Im beginning to change my mind ... and go a diffrent rout ....
Everything is cool. I can roll with whatever the majority wants. This is still about having fun and hanging with your buddies telling big fish stories but about r/c cars and the race that got away. I have enough cars in my r/c garage I can adapt one to whatever class is run (to a point). The new racing season is just around the corner!!
Old 12-17-2009, 02:50 PM
Tech Elite

[

Last edited by hairy; 12-17-2009 at 08:33 PM. Reason: happy new year

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.