Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rule changes and classes for 2010

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 06:27 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

nascar has many levels of racing before you make into cup. i don't know what the answer is to this but if we want to bring in new people we need a step-up from novice class that they can race in and not have to spent 1000's of dollars or more to race i thought that was what vta was going to be but the speeds of vta now it is not likely. myself i will probably never win a big time race or run up front but i still like to race and that is fine but i will still race but maybe back to novice witch i don't think is fair to the people that run novice every week.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:53 AM
Tech Regular

one way might be to run number of laps say 25 with a random number of caution laps (roll dice or draw cards )that way it pull the cars back together to give you a another shot at the leader, the breakout rule would be the easiest to do you pick a lap time from mid pack of qualifying. the main thing is to have fun with your friends not to win at all cost there are classes for that. look at what happend to igt lets not do that to vta
Old 09-16-2009, 07:26 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by ICEMAN
It will always be the racers that go the extra mile that win, the ones that change and clean bearings every week, the ones that stay up til 3AM every nite the week of a race to tear their car down and work on set-ups that WIN the races, the ones that go and Test, do motor work , Etc. Dont punish them for not throwing their Cars in the back of their trucks and not touching it til the next race.
My understanding is this isn't the problem.

The problem is.. I've heard it called a boost system, or I think a dynamic speed control. But it's a brushess esc that once a car gets up to rpm, drops to sensorless and just keeps winding up. So it's not the pouring over the cars that's the problem. It's the fact that if you want to stay competitive, it's a new piece of equipment you HAVE to get or you're gonna get toasted on the straights.

Is this correct? Because from I understand, before these escs started showing up, the cars top speeds were balanced, and then now you have a few guys with even deeper pockets who are balanced for a second, and then suddenly are just going and breaking the calculated top speed rule?
Old 09-16-2009, 07:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Just an observer's observation

I know I will probably get my head handed to me for this next comment, but It is really the truth so here goes.(and remember I am a spectator and have no intrest in who wins or loses here)

If you think that sponsored drivers are the problem in this class you are mistaken(note I did not say wrong). Your points leader in both the Mini and Vta is a truly independent driver with NO sponsors. This individual keeps their car in working order and his set up is meteciously maintained. That is because he is a competetor and to win at anything be it racing or life in order to win you have to put in the time and effort.The racer that throws the car in the back of truck after race day should not expect the racer that spends the time and effort in maintence of their race car to be penalised (sp?). I know some cliam the it's the speedo that makes him fast and that is simply not true.I have spent many years learning how to go fast and money is NOT always the answer.This person taught me what it ment to be a competetor and it takes work lots of work to be fast.
We lost an excellent race faciltiy in north Goergia because the owner listened to the racer that "threw the car in the back of the truck after race day" and kept tweeking the rules to satisfy them and a class of gear class stock racing that would field 30+ racers EVERY Saturday night quickly fell apart and the place is now a ghost town.
I'm not saying rules changes are a bad thing, just please use caution and not passion if you change the rules."the fast guys will always be fast and the slow guys will always cry FOWL. You folks have a great thing going with MSRA and I am truly jealous. This thread is very healthy to the debate. Way to go MSRA.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:18 AM
Tech Regular

at the first tamiya tcs race this year we ran Senior spec class i beat some of the country's best tamiya tcs racers with equal cars when the same race was ran the second time i came in last that's the great thing about a spec class is that any one that is prepared can win with equal stuff. have you ever watched a race on tv and the leader was one or two laps ahead it 's not even fun to watch.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:29 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

this is whats funny about the dynamic speedos that most of you are not really understanding.

they don't really wind up until the last 2/3 of the straight. other than that... they are just putting out the normal type of speed for a speed control. now that last 1/3 of the straight / 2 straights on a good track layout, how much time are we REALLY talking about? .1 to .3 seconds a lap? if that? how much time do you think some of the better set up cars can pull on the infield? 2 to 3 seconds a lap or better? dynamic timing doesnt work until you reach full speed.

you want to take away any advantage of the dynamic speedos? build a track with no straightaways.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:37 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Like many of you, I enjoy bringing the fastest car I can build or buy to the track on race days. I call it my touring car. If anyone suggested slowing that class down, I too was say that goes against the spirit of racing. However, VTA had "limits" in place long before the class came to Memphis. I think Breakout may be one way to ENFORCE those limits given that there are so many different chassis in this class.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

All of this discussion and ideas being put out there with NO negative comments.............................THAT'S WHAT MAKES RACIN' WITH MSRA SUCH FUN! way to go folks
Old 09-16-2009, 09:28 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 4 (64%+)

iam not sure but i think in vta the tire r handy cap enough it doent matter how much power you have its getting it to the ground if you can you can win and you r going to be way faster then the people that dont just my 2 cents take the guy thats in frist place with his car just like it is and give the guy in last place a 10.5 and lipo iam willing to gamble the out come will be the same
Old 09-16-2009, 09:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If you really want to level the playing field and have a true "spec" class, you need to do it like NASCAR did back in the day. Anyone here remember the IROC series? For those that don't, NASCAR prepped 12 of the same cars with the same setups, engines, bodies, etc, and put 12 drivers from all walks of car racing into them (F1, Indy, Drag, Nascar, etc). They had a set number of laps to drive and it was "may the best driver win". So, going by that philosophy, you would have to choose a chassis, motor, ESC, body and tires (specific on each) to run this class. Rules would have to be set as far as motors, ESC setting, body cutouts, etc and there would have to be no wavering or no making exceptions from those rules, period.

However, you would never be able to do this because you will always have someone complain about the choice of car, body, tire, motor, ESC, etc and why they can't use what they have instead of having to buy all this stuff. It is a vicious circle that will never end.

Juan
Old 09-16-2009, 09:41 AM
Tech Regular

i disagree with breakout. if we had a permanent track with a permanent layout.. then yes.. breakout would be ideal. but how will we govern breakout on an ever changing track when we start late, and finish late?

right now.. 2c lipo 21.5 will outrun anything on our tracks. that is without the dynamic timing speedos.

the simpler solution is still to break the class up, or we get everyone to turndown the speedos.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:24 AM
Tech Master

How about doing what was run in 2008 vintage class. Tamiya chassis, black can motor, but add only Tamiya speed control can be used? It could be our "spec" VTA. This way most would already have the equipment.
Don't believe that running for laps instead of time would change anything, they are still races. Still don't like "breakout" due to the extra pain it is to the race officials.
Great discussion. Nice to see all the input.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:56 AM
Tech Regular

which tamiya chassis? i for one do not like the tt01.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:44 AM
Tech Apprentice

Instead of forcing those crappy Tamiya ESCs, why not just go to a spec brushed motor? Or do the dynamic speed controls effect those as well?
Old 09-16-2009, 11:58 AM
Tech Regular

that is the heart of the problem with vta... there is no spec to be had... too many choices.. with too many additional choices.

brushed motors require too much maintenance for me anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.