Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Cheap Savage Conversion? >

Cheap Savage Conversion?

Cheap Savage Conversion?

Old 07-04-2016, 05:38 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Cheap Savage Conversion?

Hi Everyone...

Like others, I am planning on converting my Savage 25 to electric.

I have read quite a few other threads on Rctech and I can see that a lot of people DON'T do the upgrade because it costs as much as a new electric truck. I really don't want to dump a HEAP of money into this conversion...I DON'T need the truck to do 60mph or wheelies on command.

I have the Savage 25 Limited Edition (with the 3 speed) http://hpiracing.world/en/kit/853

This is what I plan on doing:
Prices are in Australian Dollars - yes, our dollar sucks atm :

Step 1. Change the transmission to a single speed (after watching this video) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_QflQZz2WI

The part is approx $17 AUD ($12 USD)

I'm hoping this part will fit into the 3 speed box?

Step 2. Install the HobbyPro Conversion Kit
http://www.hobbypro.com.hk/index.php...hk=1&Itemid=32

This is currently on sale in Australia for $25 AUD ($19 USD)

Step 3. Install a motor and ESC combo.

There are SO many options and I really don't know which one to buy. I have seen some brushless combos on ebay for $80 (AUD) but I assume these are dodgy?

I would really like to find a 'half decent' combo for around the $130 AUD ($100 USD). Maybe this is impossible?

At this stage, I wasn't going to upgrade the diffs to the 'Bulletproof Flux' diffs. I was just going to see how mine go and only upgrade if I shred them

What are your thoughts about my plan??
Old 07-04-2016, 06:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I'm not a Savage guy so I'm unsure of the transmission part. The video is saying the gear is for the later SavageX trans. Since I'm not Savagwe savy I have no idea if the X trans is different from the 25 trans. Might want to double check on that.

As for the motor mount and such. The kit you linked doesn't look good. For one it doesn't say if it includes 2 battery trays. It also doesn't say what diameter motor the motor mount accommodates. It may be for 36mm diameter motors which you don't want. You'd probably be better off getting the Flux motor mounts (same design) and motor plate then adding whatever battery trays you want. Battery trays are fairly easy, just line them up on the chassis and drill through both the tray and chassis. Countersink the hole in the tray a little and use some countersink screws.

Instead of buying trays you should consider making your own. I made a few from 3mm Lexan I got from the hardware store for cheap. Cut it out like a cardboard box, use a lighter or heat gun to heat along the fold and fold the flap over. Hold it there until it cools and it'll stay in position. Drill and countersink holes, add straps and you have a really tough battery tray.

There's tons of opinions about motors and esc's. Some rave about the cheaper stuff, others smoke it within a few runs. Whatever you do make sure it's 1/8 size. That means a motor at least 40mm in diameter (flux mounts are meant for 40mm Max diameter) and at least 74mm long with a kv of 2300kv or less. The esc should be 4s-6s and at least 120amps, preferably the 150amp model. As for price range, you're not going to find a half decent 1/8 system for $100usd, maybe used. Figure double that, around $200 for a half decent system from the likes of Hobbywing or one of its rebrands. You could go more like $150 but then your talking about a lower quality brand and/or lower spec system that's going to be underpowered and over stressed if you don't gear it for a really slow speed.

As far as your diffs. Eventually they're going to go with a half decent brushless system. To help them last as long as possible spend a few $ on shims and get the mesh as good as you can. Slop = shock loads that chew up and spit out drivetrain parts that much faster. Get rid of the slop and the drivetrain will last longer.

Last edited by Overdriven; 07-04-2016 at 07:04 PM.
Old 07-04-2016, 06:25 PM
Tech Initiate

Wow...thanks for the detailed reply.

I found another video of a guy converting a 3 speed. He puts a self tapping screw in the idler shaft
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGv3ftyt1T4

The hobby pro conversion kit only has 1 battery box (but I like your idea of making my own). The kit also takes a 540 size motor - is this the same as a 40mm motor?

I had a look at the flux motor mounts and plate. Do you mean these?
http://hpiracing.world/en/part/100903
http://hpiracing.world/en/part/100906
Old 07-04-2016, 06:33 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Yes those are the parts for converting a savage to electric. I don't how to help you with the transmission, but it will cost more money than you think to convert your old savage. You may be better off buying a new truck or waiting for the new savages to come out. Right now, HPI savages are a bit dry when it comes to parts. They just got bought out by Ripmax so I don't know if that's what is affecting it. They aren't folding up or anything so hopefully the new savages they've teased will come out in the near future and replenish the parts support.

As for the battery boxes, the stock ones are the best, but are about $40 if you can find them in stock anywhere. Making your own would be pretty easy, but you could also buy plastic battery boxes and mount them to the TVPs. Also, a 540 size motor is not a 1/8 motor. Castle Creations sells 1/8 electronics, but you would be limited to the 2200kv 1515. Leopard and Hobbywing make cheapish electronics, but again, I think you might be spending more than you initially thought or want.

I have two trannies that I don't use with one having a Robinson racing slipper clutch. I have quite a bit of stuff I'd be willing to get rid of if you want it including the motor plate, motor mounts, FLM TVPs, etc.
Old 07-04-2016, 06:47 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks RepEvox!!

Yeah, the $$$ are starting to add up.

I'm interested in your gear, but the shipping costs to Australia can be a killer!!

I was also looking at this (it would take care of my gear box issue and motor mount): http://www.kershawdesigns.com/Savage-DirectDriveV3.htm

Grrrrr...it's really starting to add up. I have been tossing up whether to do this conversion or just get a new truck. The Losi Ten MT is only $399 USD. I just hate seeing the Savage sitting there doing nothing

Decisions...decisions
Old 07-04-2016, 06:53 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Everyone that's deep in this hobby eventually has to make the decision to shelf their RC if it's a money pit or just plain dead when it comes to parts support. The Savage is a great truck, but there are so many good RTR's out there now. I don't mean to scare you away from the Savage. Mine is alive and well, but I had the advantage of buying a Flux and not an original nitro non-x savage.

Losi makes good stuff and the original Ten-T nitro was supposed to be one of the greatest RTR's ever. It is too small for me because once you go up in scale, you have a hard time driving the smaller stuff. If 1/5 scale wasn't quadruple the cost of 1/8 scale, I might be there right now.

Take a look at the Arrma Kraton. I hear you can get some good deals on those. Oh and that Kershaw designs tranny is a huge waste of money, don't even consider it. If you're gonna go down that path, buy the Alza racing center diff kit. That way you have a center differential.
Old 07-04-2016, 07:01 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by RepEvox
Everyone that's deep in this hobby eventually has to make the decision to shelf their RC if it's a money pit
Thanks RepEvox. I think you just made my mind up.

I bought this truck in 2006 and I had problems from the very beginning (most problems were probably due to my inexperience and being impatient with tuning). I will take a look at the Arrma Kraton.

Thanks again
Old 07-04-2016, 07:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tony555
The hobby pro conversion kit only has 1 battery box (but I like your idea of making my own). The kit also takes a 540 size motor - is this the same as a 40mm motor?

I had a look at the flux motor mounts and plate. Do you mean these?
http://hpiracing.world/en/part/100903
http://hpiracing.world/en/part/100906
A 540 size motor is 36mm diameter by 50mm long. It's meant for 1/10 vehicles that are 4lbs or less, not 1/8 vehicles weighing 10lbs or more. You need a real 1/8 motor. Don't buy that kit, keep looking.

Yes those are the Flux parts I was referring to. Try looking at the chop shops on eBay as their prices are often lower than a hobby shop or other online retailers. Used is also an option as there's really not much that can go wrong with them besides getting scratched up.

RepEvox makes a good point. Sometimes it's not worth keeping a vehicle going by the time you buy all the parts and electronics. Realistically you'll be spending about $300 to convert your savage by the time you add shipping and all the incidentals you forgot about. $100 more and you can have a Kraton. Idk what Savage rollers go for these days but selling this truck plus the $300 you would've spent converting it gets you really close to a new vehicle.

Edit: Took a tasty watermelon break in the middle of writing that, took longer than expected and replies already came in.
Old 07-04-2016, 07:31 PM
Tech Initiate

LOL...love the watermelon.

Thanks for the reply - Helps to strengthen my case (to the wife)